inTank Media Baskets

Sangheili's Innovative Marine Nuvo 24 - aka How I ruined my carpet

sangheili

Your fish look great and your aquarium is progressing nicely.. I just hope that your biological filtration can keep up with the added load. I would control your feeding regiment, and perform a couple extra water changes for a while. Keep an eye on things and test for increased phosphate and nitrate. Keep us posted and enjoy your new additions.

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your fish look great and your aquarium is progressing nicely.. I just hope that your biological filtration can keep up with the added load. I would control your feeding regiment, and perform a couple extra water changes for a while. Keep an eye on things and test for increased phosphate and nitrate. Keep us posted and enjoy your new additions.

I have been testing every other day and will continue to. I have Purigen/Chemi-pure in plus the Skimmer running. Also been doing 4gal water changes every other day (every day when I had a nitrite spike).

Back from the LFS. One Peppermint Shrimp (I think I see one or two Aiptasia on a few of my frags - going to get ahead of the problem if I can), One Sexy Shrimp, and One Pom Pom Crab all are being acclimated right now ;)

The Nuvo Pico 4g tank I had previously has been converted to a freshwater tank. I moved my blue crayfish from my Cichlid tank to it today as I noticed an outbreak of Ich this morning on my Oscar. The Cichlid tank is now going through Ich treatment - ugh. Blue Crayfish looks cool in the Nuvo 4 though :)

No I think I grabbed the only one. Its the one right where Eastern meets 215. I had been there before (it's a bit of a drive for me) and bought a coral so I figured I would stop in while passing by. They had a pom pom, a sexy shrimp ($10) and a peppermint shrimp. I grabbed them all!

lucky. I never see any pom poms. Trade you for a nice mushroom. :)

Even if I wanted to I doubt I could catch him. He has gone into hiding. I hear they only are seen when its feeding time. The cleaner shrimp is still MIA... I think he is a goner. I just saw the Porcelain Crab tonight though, hiding deep in one of the rocks.

I did my best to drop my sexy shrimp on my Duncan frag and he has been clinging onto it ever since. Pretty cool!

I have an Astrea snail that has climbed onto a spinstream nozzle now. He's going for a ride - wonder if he will get dizzy?

Some updates:

Just got home with one more Pom Pom Crab and a Flametail Blenny. Pretty sure I'm done with adding fish (only exception may be a Yasha Goby or similar down the road).

Also, got a great deal on 4x Porcelain Crabs on ebay. $25 shipped w/ DOA Guarantee!

Lastly, added a Torch coral and another Zoa frag today.

Skimmer has been running for almost two weeks now and still producing a ton of micro-bubbles. Hmmm. Any tips? Tunze 9002.

Here's a pic of my two Pom Poms. They apparently found each other tonight as they were right next to each other when I came in the room and turned on my flashlight.

gFPtyiK.jpg

HammerheadV13

Bummer about the Tunze, but I will be following along closely on its progress. The tank is looking great with the all the new additions.

Bummer about the Tunze, but I will be following along closely on its progress. The tank is looking great with the all the new additions.

I actually just ripped it all apart and made some mods to the tank for it. There is no leaking in the air hose or pump (took pump out and ran it under water outside the skimmer to see) but when I put it back together I can see micro bubbles rushing out of the bottom of the skimmer from the water intake holes. Doesn't seem to matter what "air setting" the skimmer is at, microbubbles are gushing out.

So to help minimize how much gets back into the display tank, I moved the return pump over to the other side of the return sump, added some rock to the return sump, and added some filter floss on the top of the rock. That seems to be capturing the majority of the micro bubbles before they make it to the return pump.

Hopefully the bubbles will calm down over time. I think these changes will help a lot but its still a little early for me to tell since the water is a bit cloudy from all the sediments I stirred up in the sump.

HammerheadV13

I think rdck99 made a similar mod to his IM Skimmer to capture the micro bubbles. Are you having any overflow issues? This is a big concern for me as I have my tank sitting on my TV stand and all the wires for my stereo components are right below where an overflow might occur. Random overflows are a recurring theme for the IM skimmer.

Archived