Cultivated Reef

Sangheili's Innovative Marine Nuvo 24 - aka How I ruined my carpet

sangheili

Dually noted. I planned to use the BRS 1/4" screen kit to keep it in the tank but having it bury all my coral doesn't sound fun.

I took note of all the corals you have on your sand bed. The bluespot jawfish would almost certainly bury most if not all of them. Some of the pushed sand formed high hills. Not to mention it was aggressive with other fish nearing its den.

Your aquarium looks great and I certainly need to look into the BRS screen kit. Did not even know this existed.

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Friend of mine (thanks Jeremy) gave me the tip on a 67g Solana XL (48x18x18) tank for sale. Gonna go check it out tomorrow. Looks like the perfect fit for what I've been thinking of upgrading to. If I buy though, the wife has determined that we have to wait until we move in Feb before I can set it up <_< :D

Bought the tank! Looks like my new journey will be figuring out all the details of it :-) Need to get a stand, sump, skimmer, etc. Probably going to make the stand unless I can find someone who can for the right price. Anyone have recommendations? I'd love to get something just like this:

50G%20Long%20Artisan%20II%20re.jpg

Egginis your thread is something up date us please

Major disaster with my Nuvo 24. Right side cracked and lost 95% of coral and livestock. Happened while out of the house and will be in the process of rebuilding again. I really do not like to think about it but promise to build a better aquarium than before.

post-80849-0-28504600-1407791501_thumb.jpg

Major disaster with my Nuvo 24. Right side cracked and lost 95% of coral and livestock. Happened while out of the house and will be in the process of rebuilding again. I really do not like to think about it but promise to build a better aquarium than before.

WOW! Thats worse then mine was! Was that the thin glass or the new improved ones? Seems the thin glass tanks are ticking time bombs.

Bought the tank! Looks like my new journey will be figuring out all the details of it :-) Need to get a stand, sump, skimmer, etc. Probably going to make the stand unless I can find someone who can for the right price. Anyone have recommendations? I'd love to get something just like this:

50G%20Long%20Artisan%20II%20re.jpg[/quote

Looks like I will be joining you as I had the same issue you had last year. My aquarium glass cracked and exploded. Lost 95% of livestock and coral. I am determined to create a better aquarium than before. Your system looks great and I will be following along.

WOW! Thats worse then mine was! Was that the thin glass or the new improved ones? Seems the thin glass tanks are ticking time bombs.

Was the original thin glass Nuvo 24. Innovative marine said they would ship me the new fusion 30 as a replacement.

If I come across any aquarium stands like the one that is pictured at a good or discounted price I will be sure to let you know. When do you plan to set up your new aquarium?

post-80849-0-64100400-1407791777_thumb.jpg

Was the original thin glass Nuvo 24. Innovative marine said they would ship me the new fusion 30 as a replacement.

When do you plan to set up your new aquarium?

I would pitch a fit to Steve @ IM. You had the most beautiful Nuvo 24 in the world with some amazing livestock and the tank failed on you months after countless others did. I am sure your tank has sold TONS of tanks for them. You need to get a much better deal then just a similar sized replacement. The fact that they obviously knew this was an issue (upgraded glass and offered to swap for people that complained) and decided not to recall the tanks, is proof enough they need to go the extra mile. I was lucky and saved 90% of my livestock, IM needs to do a lot more to make you happy though.

Looks like ill be setting up the new tank in Feb time-frame, or sooner if we decide not to move yet.

I would pitch a fit to Steve @ IM. You had the most beautiful Nuvo 24 in the world with some amazing livestock and the tank failed on you months after countless others did. I am sure your tank has sold TONS of tanks for them. You need to get a much better deal then just a similar sized replacement. The fact that they obviously knew this was an issue (upgraded glass and offered to swap for people that complained) and decided not to recall the tanks, is proof enough they need to go the extra mile. I was lucky and saved 90% of my livestock, IM needs to do a lot more to make you happy though.

Looks like ill be setting up the new tank in Feb time-frame, or sooner if we decide not to move yet.

I spoke with the owner and manager at my local aquarium store regarding this and he contacted Steve. Steve then called me and offered to replace the aquarium and add many extras. He is also working with the owner of the local aquarium to help replace the livestock that was lost. It will never be the same but both gentleman went out of their way to assist me. I am upset about the whole situation and can only hope to try and replicate my previous aquarium or even make it better. Trying to stay positive and optimistic. I know Steve will assist to make this process go smoothly.

Great to hear that. I just wanted to make sure you got the right compensation since you have ultimately been a free marketing tool for the company.

Spend some thought on a bigger upgrade :D

Thank you for the kind reply. I just really want to recover as many of the lost specimens as possible and get my nano up and running once again. Besides, I have a 220 gallon I am working on at the moment as well. The nano is for those hard to see and challenging specimens.

Yes I'm considering the nuvo 20 fusion but it has the thin 6 mm glass like the 24. It's also three seperate panes which the bent corners seemed to be the problem.

lilmatty5dimes

oh man sorry to hear this. your tank was pretty awesome. definitely a show stopper. i'm hoping IM makes it right with everything you lost.

50G%20Long%20Artisan%20II%20re.jpg

thats going to be a sweet upgrade. lol good luck holding off for that long.

Yes I'm considering the nuvo 20 fusion but it has the thin 6 mm glass like the 24. It's also three seperate panes which the bent corners seemed to be the problem.

I think 6mm is probably just fine with a normal corner seam. The problem with the Nuvo 24's is both sides have a tight radius corner so any lateral stresses during movement/shipping can cause micro-cracks in the corners and eventually they will fail. With a squared corner tank those stresses are absorbed by the silicon to a certain degree as silicon is very elastic.

A few updates:

• Tiny Crocea Clam I got a week or so ago didn't make it. Apparently others have had the same issue with this batch from the vendor. Oh well, vendor made it up to me.
  • The other clams are doing well. Tank parameters getting back to normal now. I've got a bit of Nitrate, I think i stirred up some crud in my sand bed. Going to start siphoning each water change to avoid that in the future.
  • Upgraded my Apex Jr to a full Apex. Now I have pH monitoring, ORP, and varspeed for my Tunze pump and LED lights. I have had cronic pH issues with this tank I think due to Co2 building up in my extremely well sealed apartment. Now that I have a monitor I can see it coming and get some fresh air inside - should be good for myself and the tank! I also DIY-ed the dimming wiring on my chinese LED fixture and I can now control it with the Apex. Got a nice weather effects and ramp up/down program from another Apex user. Super simple mod thanks to the drivers on this fixture already using 0-10v dimming. Probably the cheapest controllable LED fixture in the world at this point haha.
  • Doing kalk now in my ATO water. Hopefully this will help keep my levels up if I get lazy with water changes and generally lead to a more stable tank. Also should help with the pH issues.
  • Bought a float switch and parts to make a DIY Apex breakout box. Going to rig up the float switch a bit above the Tunze float system for the osmolator and have a backup so there is no possible way the osmolator can dump my kalk top-off water into the tank. I have never had an issue with the osmolator but $20 in parts to prevent a $$$$$$ disaster is well worth it IMO. Also made lots of changes to outlet programming incorporating pH levels and put the thermometer on the Apex controler (I was too limited with outlets on my Apex Jr).

Still looking for some killer clams. Hopefully Dr Mac gets a new batch soon. Liveaquaria has some very nice Blue/Gold Squamosas but I just can't justify $130 for a 1.25in clam.

Oooh pretty fishy what is it

Red Velvet Fairy Wrasse Initial Phase

It -could- change color if it decides to go back to Female but the plan is when I move to the larger tank to add a couple Females and have a harem.

The Wrasse is doing well! Unfortunately the two Clowns immediately started harassing him when I put him in the tank and one took a couple bites out of his tail. The Clowns went back to the store for credit. The Wrasse came in very cold water in the box but perked right up after a couple mins and he was eating pellets even before I put him in the tank. Super cool personality, reminds me a lot of my Freshwater Oscars.

The two newest clams are doing very good. Extremely quick response to light stimulus. Only issue is the very expensive 1.5" clam from DD came with pyramid snails! I don't have a QT tank so I'm a little paranoid and will be watching everywhere for the new couple weeks with a flashlight. I scrubbed the daylights out of the clam the day it came in and have not seen any snails since. Fingers crossed.

Also received lots of cool new frags this week. Chalices, Playboy Bunny Zoas, Purple Death Palys, and lots of colorful Acans.

The Wrasse is doing well! Unfortunately the two Clowns immediately started harassing him when I put him in the tank and one took a couple bites out of his tail. The Clowns went back to the store for credit. The Wrasse came in very cold water in the box but perked right up after a couple mins and he was eating pellets even before I put him in the tank. Super cool personality, reminds me a lot of my Freshwater Oscars.

The two newest clams are doing very good. Extremely quick response to light stimulus. Only issue is the very expensive 1.5" clam from DD came with pyramid snails! I don't have a QT tank so I'm a little paranoid and will be watching everywhere for the new couple weeks with a flashlight. I scrubbed the daylights out of the clam the day it came in and have not seen any snails since. Fingers crossed.

Also received lots of cool new frags this week. Chalices, Playboy Bunny Zoas, Purple Death Palys, and lots of colorful Acans.

Sounds great. Looking forward to the pics.

Some quick cell phone pics. Picked up some zoas yesterday: Sunny D, BBEB, some orange center/green ring, and some blue/white/red.

My big clam died unfortunately. No idea what happened but could be it didn't like the ph swings. I hooked up a co2 scrubber to my skimmer yesterday and my ph is much better now. The two small blue squamosa clams are doing well. The small ORA Black/White Maxima has some issues with PM but I think is recovering (did a FW dip yesterday).

Sorry for the crappy pics as usual. I promise I will learn to use my nice Canon DLSR soon. Still dealing with high nutrients from stirring up my sand bed.

My new ricordia garden and random frags.

86iE4WM.jpg

FTS

Pn0u7NJ.jpg

Archived