Top Shelf Aquatics

Sangheili's Innovative Marine Nuvo 24 - aka How I ruined my carpet

sangheili

Glad everything has seemed to work out for you bud. Can only imagine what a nightmare all of this would have been.

Good luck with the new tank!

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the glass on the one i have seems to be 7mm. but i don't know how they measure the glass. if someone can measure theirs, that would be great. this is on the overall thickness, b/c they do bevel the edges.

see pic below:

Nuvo24small.jpg

the glass on the one i have seems to be 7mm. but i don't know how they measure the glass. if someone can measure theirs, that would be great. this is on the overall thickness, b/c they do bevel the edges.

see pic below:

Nuvo24small.jpg

My cracked tank was 4.9mm and my replacement is 7mm just like yours. You are in the clear.

My cracked tank was 4.9mm and my replacement is 7mm just like yours. You are in the clear.

that is AWESOME, but how do you go from 5mm to 7mm? i thought they use 6mm and 8mm. either way, i'm happy i have a beefier tank. i will go forward w/ building my stand for it.

HammerheadV13

Mine is 04/13/602T/311. I may go buy a caliper just to measure the thickness. How is the transition going? Are you able to replicate your aquascape?

Mine is 04/13/602T/311. I may go buy a caliper just to measure the thickness. How is the transition going? Are you able to replicate your aquascape?

Just got the tank wet an hour ago. Letting the cloud dissipate before moving forward. Might just stick one fish in overnight as a canary in the coal mine style test. Using my old sand which had a very foul odor (think it was amonia) as it sat in a bucket w/ tank water for a week. I rinsed it pretty well in fresh saltwater but i'm still a tad bit concerned.

I should be able to recreate the scape. I'm thinking of flipping it so the island is on the other side just for the hell of it.

i think IM was using UPS/FedEx as a scapegoat. i believe they found that the thinner glass couldn't hold up and they went w/ a thicker one.

but either way, i'm hoping that this truly resolves the issue of cracked IM Nuvo 24's. good luck everyone w/ their tanks

charlie truong

Here's a quick overview for you guys:

IM is sending me another tank. Talked a great deal with Steve over the last few days and IM believes this issue lies with the carriers (UPS/Fedex). He says he has never heard of a tank failing which has been delivered by freight (aka on a pallet). I can back this up with some investigations I did myself - talked to a local store that has sold TONS of the Nuvo 24's and they have had no complaints. I also talked to someone the other day out of coincidence who said he had a friend who's Nuvo 24 cracked and that his friend purchased it from Marine Depot.

So short and sweet of that side of the story is: If you want a Nuvo 24 DO NOT SHIP IT UPS/FEDEX. ONLY ACCEPT THE TANK IF IT ARRIVES VIA LTL ON A PALLET.

Steve assured me that changes have been made in the shipping process at all these retailers and new boxes are being used but I don't trust that as I purchased my tank just 8 weeks ago from a retailer he mentioned by name. Make sure it gets delivered the right way.

I personally think the tank is a little under built (the bent glass on the corners seems to be where the stress cracks all originate). But I also believe this is only a problem if the tank is abused during it's life. If you plan on moving this tank a lot, resting it on uneven surfaces, or getting it online I think you are taking a big risk. However, if you understand this limitation and work around it - I'm pretty sure the tank will out last you.

Innovative Marine has done a fantastic job to make things right. Sure they didn't pay for my carpet repair or upgrade me to a better tank but they have done much more than was required by their warranty. Steve has been responsive, understanding, and quick to act. I was strongly considering ditching the Nuvo 24 and moving to a CADLight tank until I read around some of the horror stories.

If you guys own this tank and had it delivered via UPS you may want to contact IM if you're having trouble sleeping. If it was delivered to your LFS I wouldn't let it bother you. Either way I do suggest a leak detector :D

Lastly, a big shout out to Jeremy (Reef Fever), Charlie, Angel, and Eric@Desert Reef for all helping when I needed it and/or offering to help. I appreciate it and the local community here in Vegas really is full of some cool ass people. I freaked out at 10PM when I came home to my tank ruptured and a room full of water. The response I got when I started texting some friends was extremely nice. I had an EXTREMELY rough week (for numerous reasons, one of which is far worse then even this tank explosion) so it's good to know people are there when you need them.

Now, here are some pictures of the catastrophe. I don't believe I have lost any livestock (except a Pistol Shrimp I forget existed) but I won't know until the new tank gets setup.

BCNgemZ.jpg

AVD3LrX.jpg4ZMJRAx.jpglo6a3k8.jpg

Oh and for all the haters earlier:

IF I HAD COME HOME LATER IN THE NIGHT THE CLAM WOULD BE THE ONLY THING ALIVE. Don't hate on the Tupperware. (hahaha)

:P:P:P:P:P

Apparently this was a design flaw on the first set of tanks. Inspect your tank at a local fish store before buying and make sure it has the glass separation wall behind the black false wall. All of their tanks now have this I was told.

no THANK YOU! for referring me to Stephen...I definitely owe you a 6 pack haha!

Well everything I added to the new tank made it through the night. Both clowns and a big cleanup crew.

Another positive is the tank doesn't swing more than 0.5deg now that I added a fan controlled by the Apex. I used to have a 3deg swing during the day.

HammerheadV13

Does your tank get any natural sunlight? What fan did you go with? Also I wonder if the thicker glass insulates the tank a bit more from diurnal temperature swings.

Does your tank get any natural sunlight? What fan did you go with? Also I wonder if the thicker glass insulates the tank a bit more from diurnal temperature swings.

Not really any natural sunlight. Here's the fan: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cooling-Fan-2-fans-Aquarium-Chillers-80L-Fish-Tank-Power-adapter-12V-/111018563985?pt=Heaters_and_Chillers&hash=item19d938d991

It's pretty loud though. I had to buy a 5v power supply for it to slow the fans down.

All the livestock and rock is moved. I haven't epoxied the rock back together yet as i'm being lazy. Once I do I will get some updated tank pics.

For those interested in checking their tank, you can buy Caliper's on ebay/amazon for under $20. You will be amazed how many uses you find for them once you have one.

The Apex leak detector is all setup now too ;)

Lost livestock (some may just be hiding): 1x Pistol Shrimp, 1x Pom Pom Crab, One or Two Green Porcelain Crabs

Everything else looks to have made it!

Someone was nipping on my clam. Since I have both a fanged blenny (Flametail Blenny) and a Coral Beauty, they are both suspects. The Blenny will be going to my mom's tank and the Coral Beauty is going back to the LFS. Can't risk having someone continue to nip at the clam while I try to catch one in the act.

Some crappy cell phone pics of the new layout:

pIZ7gcJ.jpgsd2RYl9.jpggGzN6eK.jpgntIrKsF.jpg

HammerheadV13

Great to see your tank back up and running. Glad that IM got a new tank out to you so quickly. I spoke to Steve yesterday, great guy, went the extra mile to make me feel at ease.

This is officially recovery week. Lots of hot zoa frags coming. And I just placed an order on aquascapers for some gorgs and a sweet flower anemone.

Here's the flower anemone btw :lol:

purple-chocolate-flower-anemone.jpg

How did the replacement tank arrive? Safe to assume they didn't use ups or fedex.

It was a freight company. Arrived on a pallet.

I REEEEEAAAAALLLLLLLLYYYYYY want this tank (lik really) but I'm so scared now to get it so I have been taking my plans and converting them to a nuvo 16 or 38 but maybe if no more tanks blow up ( or if they do they are 5mm glass) then I will get one

Wait freight is an option

I REEEEEAAAAALLLLLLLLYYYYYY want this tank (lik really) but I'm so scared now to get it so I have been taking my plans and converting them to a nuvo 16 or 38 but maybe if no more tanks blow up ( or if they do they are 5mm glass) then I will get one

Wait freight is an option

If you get a tank with the thicker glass, you will be fine. I can't imagine this thing ever cracking.

Archived