Top Shelf Aquatics

Sangheili's Innovative Marine Nuvo 24 - aka How I ruined my carpet

sangheili

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've seen those red/white lobster things on DD before. Keep us updated on how it interacts with everything. They look pretty cool.

So I bought 3 things on Divers Den over the weekend.

Here's a sneak peak at two of them :)

S2v0XWl.jpg

Sangheili why are the rocks green? I was told that it sould be purple.

Question if anyone can answer: Should I go with a Black or White Nuvo. I am getting scared that the white would wash out the color of the coral. Does the black make the color pop?

coraline algae can be green at first and then turn purple. mine did in my tank when i had it in my JBJ Nano. now i'm getting some that are just purple in my Nuvo 24

Question if anyone can answer: Should I go with a Black or White Nuvo. I am getting scared that the white would wash out the color of the coral. Does the black make the color pop?

The colour shouldn't matter, however i don't know of people painting the back of a tank whit but people do paint them black, look at picture of the nuvo tanks and see what you like best. Also think of the decor in your house, finally the colour doesn't matter, like iphone black and white no diff in quality

Picture time!

First up is the main display:

7kCqSAR.jpg

hpD8CmX.jpg

T60ZLm1.jpg

z89f6U2.jpg

NfojzS5.jpg

wRjKFRk.jpg

And now my new frag tank!

LGmaBwV.jpg

2PVaPog.jpg

And here is the shipment I got in today:

juNab3S.jpg

Note the white rock in the Nuvo tank is white because I had some bryopsis algae starting to grow onto it from a frag so I stuck it in the freezer.

And lastly, I just noticed a few small spots of Coraline growing on my circulation pump! A good sign :D

That frag tank is sick!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Looking sweet, I picked up a Nuvo 24 today to upgrade from my Nuvo 8.

Where do you look to find the serial number, and what set of numbers am I looking at to see if it's 400+?

Last question, with the Nuvo 8 the stock return pump was under powered, how is the return pump on the Nuvo 24?

Looking sweet, I picked up a Nuvo 24 today to upgrade from my Nuvo 8. Where do you look to find the serial number, and what set of numbers am I looking at to see if it's 400+? Last question, with the Nuvo 8 the stock return pump was under powered, how is the return pump on the Nuvo 24?

On the right side of the tank is an info sticker. The return pump is pretty good on the Nuvo 24. The spinstreams are a nice way to add more random flow but I actually just took mine off. Found they were splashing water too much.

• 3 weeks later...

Your IM 24 looks amazing! How is the new tank holding up? How long has your new tank been set up? Since Innovative Marine has upgraded to a thicker glass on the IM 24; do you believe you will have any issues with the IM 24 glass breaking again?

Your IM 24 looks amazing! How is the new tank holding up? How long has your new tank been set up? Since Innovative Marine has upgraded to a thicker glass on the IM 24; do you believe you will have any issues with the IM 24 glass breaking again?

He currently has the thicker glass one

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Been a while since I updated but heres a sneak preview:

• Frag tank is broken down and being sold - didn't really need it and had aspirations larger then reality :-)
  • The two Maximas (Blue and Gold) died a couple weeks ago - no idea why I think the gold was doomed from the start though.
  • Some Misc stuff has been added such as Maxi-Mini nem, Mandarin Fish, and........
  • I bought a 5" Teal Maxima. It looks outstanding. Pics soon.
  • Tomorrow I am heading to LA and going to visit 3-4 stores with the hopes of scoring some REALLY cool stuff (including more clams!).
  • Seriously contemplating upgrading to a CADLights 45 Shallow or 50 Long.

So here is a quick list of what I picked up in LA:

• Gold Maxima Clam
  • Black/White Maxima Clam
  • Orange Leptastria Frag
  • Favia Frag
  • Couple diff Zoa frags
  • Pink Birdsnest Frag
  • Two nice Maxi-Mini nems

Right now seems i have a decent brown hair algae outbreak however. Probably fueled by over-feeding before I left for the trip. Going to reduce light cycles, feed less, change more water, and get a new cleaner crew.

Still on my list is:

• Blue Spotted Jawfish
  • Yellow Assessor
  • 50 or 70 gal upgrade tank (probably 6+ months away from getting that lol)

A few pics (yeah the Zoas are all pissed off I know):

The new 5" Maxima

l7damHH.jpg

The two new small Maximas next to my Derasas

nEMk25h.jpg

Today's addition: An Orange Sponge/Decorator crab who within minutes of entering the tank has declared war against my hair algae and in a couple hours time has eaten as much as my two Emerald Crabs did in a week.

Edit: Well that didn't last long. Caught him literally ripping apart some zoa colonies. Back to the store he goes. Figured it was a 50/50 chance he would be bad news so not unexpected lol.

6L9ZzNd.jpg

Still on my list is:

• Blue Spotted Jawfish
  • Yellow Assessor
  • 50 or 70 gal upgrade tank (probably 6+ months away from getting that lol)

I had a blue spotted jaw fish in my Nuvo 24 and it moved tons of sand around the aquarium trying to create its den. Every day it moved to a different location and pushed sand on coral and over rock. It also would try and jump out of the aquarium and hit the top of the glass at great speed. It eventually died from what seemed to be injury to its face from hitting the top of the aquarium glass. Without the glass top it would have been on the floor for sure. It's a beautiful fish but the aquarium might be too small for it. Of course this is only just my experience.

I had a blue spotted jaw fish in my Nuvo 24 and it moved tons of sand around the aquarium trying to create its den. Every day it moved to a different location and pushed sand on coral and over rock. It also would try and jump out of the aquarium and hit the top of the glass at great speed. It eventually died from what seemed to be injury to its face from hitting the top of the aquarium glass. Without the glass top it would have been on the floor for sure. It's a beautiful fish but the aquarium might be too small for it. Of course this is only just my experience.

Dually noted. I planned to use the BRS 1/4" screen kit to keep it in the tank but having it bury all my coral doesn't sound fun.

Archived