inTank Media Baskets

Calvin415's LED lit 12 footer

calvin415

Militant Jurist

This is one of the few threads I check for activity on daily. What an amazing build!

When I build my next house, something like this is DEFINITELY getting incorporated into the design! With the house I have now, I'm limited to small tanks. :(

Edited by Militant Jurist
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• calvin415

• jerzsky

• Boomboy

• lakshwadeep

Thanks!

Well the tank is now about 40% filled... For those of you who live where it's cold, FYI cold water will affect the output of your RO/DI unit. Mine is rated for 100 GPD and I'm getting about 20. The high today was 5 and it was -6 when I went to work this morning and already back down to 0 when I left at the end of the day. :( It will still work even for top off at that rate, but it sucks waiting for the tank to fill for a week.

why aren't you using a booster pump?

It's not the flow. It's the cold water temperature. Flow through DI resin comes to a screaching halt when its cold. Too hot and it will decrease it's life.

It's not the flow. It's the cold water temperature. Flow through DI resin comes to a screaching halt when its cold. Too hot and it will decrease it's life.

lol i saw the pump room of a 300000 litre aquarium today, 12 30HP pumps, 12 chillers, 12 10 Foot tall skimmers

i still prefer your tank tho

haha:P

I would have gotten impatient and lugged a few bottles from the local glacier machine, lol. No need to rush though, this tank is amazing and worth the wait.

Thanks, yeah I figure if the tank fills up quickly, it just means it's going to sit that much longer. ;)

This is one of the few threads I check for activity on daily. What an amazing build!

When I build my next house, something like this is DEFINITELY getting incorporated into the design! With the house I have now, I'm limited to small tanks. :(

Thanks! Just make sure you build something even more wild! I love to see the envelope pushed! I've got so many crazy ideas in my head, just not enough room to build them all... :D

why aren't you using a booster pump?

Because it's not needed, an inline heater might help, but so would a long hose and the right sink adapter. ;)

Yeppers.

lol i saw the pump room of a 300000 litre aquarium today, 12 30HP pumps, 12 chillers, 12 10 Foot tall skimmers

i still prefer your tank tho

haha:P

WOW! Any pics you can link us to? Thanks for the compliment! :D

Thanks, yeah I figure if the tank fills up quickly, it just means it's going to sit that much longer. ;)

Thanks! Just make sure you build something even more wild! I love to see the envelope pushed! I've got so many crazy ideas in my head, just not enough room to build them all... :D

Because it's not needed, an inline heater might help, but so would a long hose and the right sink adapter. ;)

Yeppers.

WOW! Any pics you can link us to? Thanks for the compliment! :D

i got a bunch of pics, its from the Atlantis Hotel aquarium, on the man made palm islands, met the manager who designed it

he said i cant post pics of the pump room, but ill describe it, its got 12 seperate 50 000 gallon cooling tanks for heat exchange, 12 30 hp pumps, its about 100 meters long(the room) then the second floor has a sorta tank in the floor with baffles for micro bubbles connected to 12 10 foot tall protein skimmers, each that is about 4 foot wide, it was awesome, the tank is aquascaped to look like "Atlantis" though but has some amazing fish

ill get pics of my friend she had the camera

i also need to get pics of the Dubai Mall aquarium that thing is like 100meters long 30 wide and about 30 up, thats bout, 350 feet longish100 high 100 across

im too lazy to post pics of that though haha now at least

tomorrow :)

kermitthedaniel

just curious are you trying to create a whirlpool affect in your tank? is that so that everything is eventually pushed into the overflow at the one end?

Edited by kermitthedaniel
With the house I have now, I'm limited to small tanks. :(

I call BS. I have my 125 in the living room of a 500 sq ft apartment! I'm about to put a 54 corner in the bedroom!

Nice to see some h2o in this tank, Eric. Looks like some good flow down there at rock level.

i got a bunch of pics, its from the Atlantis Hotel aquarium, on the man made palm islands, met the manager who designed it

he said i cant post pics of the pump room, but ill describe it, its got 12 seperate 50 000 gallon cooling tanks for heat exchange, 12 30 hp pumps, its about 100 meters long(the room) then the second floor has a sorta tank in the floor with baffles for micro bubbles connected to 12 10 foot tall protein skimmers, each that is about 4 foot wide, it was awesome, the tank is aquascaped to look like "Atlantis" though but has some amazing fish

ill get pics of my friend she had the camera

i also need to get pics of the Dubai Mall aquarium that thing is like 100meters long 30 wide and about 30 up, thats bout, 350 feet longish100 high 100 across

im too lazy to post pics of that though haha now at least

tomorrow :)

Very cool!

just curious are you trying to create a whirlpool affect in your tank? is that so that everything is eventually pushed into the overflow at the one end?

I am, it's only for the lower region, but if it reaches the surface that would be great! The return from the sump will hopefully help keep the upper regions flowing as well. I'm hoping to put a wave box or a vortech on the tank down the road.

Are you going to be using rock lifters?

Nope.

are you secretly Superman?

Yes. LOL!

I call BS. I have my 125 in the living room of a 500 sq ft apartment! I'm about to put a 54 corner in the bedroom!

Nice to see some h2o in this tank, Eric. Looks like some good flow down there at rock level.

Thanks bud! You actually have a "living room" in a 500 sqft apartment? ;)

That would be awesome to make this into a real wave type aquarium. Having waves travel the entire length of the tank. Wow. I'm getting so excited in my head even if you don't do it.

great build man, I've been following this thread and can't wait til you get some livestock in there.. I think I also purchased an idaho grape frag from ya a while back and it's doing great in my 120 :happy:

the whole this has been beautiful, i hope when you get the rock in you dont just stack it and you take your time getting the perfect scape, with highs and lows and plateaus and the other reverse plateau :happy:

That would be awesome to make this into a real wave type aquarium. Having waves travel the entire length of the tank. Wow. I'm getting so excited in my head even if you don't do it.

LOL! Yeah, I don't want a large wave, but I think just a 1/2" would be killer!

great build man, I've been following this thread and can't wait til you get some livestock in there.. I think I also purchased an idaho grape frag from ya a while back and it's doing great in my 120 :happy:

Thanks bud, I remember ya. :D

hows the fill going?

Slow, but hey hasn't the entire project been this way? ;)

Lets see the progress shots so we can laugh at how long it takes to fill ;)

LOL! Coming up...

man i hate acrylic with a passion and i STILL want your tank. can't wait to see life in it.

LOL! Thanks! Because acrylic really has no limits, it keeps me coming back for another idea!

the whole this has been beautiful, i hope when you get the rock in you dont just stack it and you take your time getting the perfect scape, with highs and lows and plateaus and the other reverse plateau :happy:

That's the plan, I hope I don't disappoint you.

speechless

Thanks bro!

DSCN4566.jpg

DSCN4568.jpg

CL Running

th_DSCN4571.jpg

RO/DI unit's flow... Darn cold water. :(

th_DSCN4573.jpg

ChasingChickens

do ittttt

btw any idea on the aquascape for it? One or two large rock formations? Bunch of islands?

I think it would look great with a bunch of smaller islands hiding the CL system as well as a large overhang or something towards the end with the overflow. A nice open sand bed towards the end with the return or something would look nice as well.

A wavebox would be pretty insane on this size aquarium.

I wasn't able to read the whole thread, but are you putting in some SCWD/wave makers. I think having SCWD's on your returns would give some really nice currents since you have a lot of outputs. Maybe create half the tank with hectic current while the other is constant.