Innovative Marine Aquariums

Calvin415's LED lit 12 footer

calvin415

...with all the light it will get filled with crap including coraline making it impossible to keep clean looking.

Tell me about it. Lol I have glass lily pipes and clear vinyl tubing on my FW tank at work and i have to scrub them out every other week to keep them clear.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• calvin415

• jerzsky

• Boomboy

• lakshwadeep

Here's a gross draft of what I'm thinking of doing. Sorry I can't bend pipes in sketchup. ???

Basically the 3 90* pieces the straight pipe, and the threaded connection at the bottom would be clear. With the union under it, would allow me to unthread it by turning the pipe from below and then lifting the clear pipe out. Make 2 or 3 of these and change them out as they get dirty. Thoughts?

TankPlumbingIdea.jpg

Well I guess I just made the decision. Clear PVC and fitting are ordered. I ordered enough for 2 sets of pipes so I'll have pics sometime next week. I can't believe how expensive this stuff is! Ouch!

Wow-o! My wallet feels for yours. Don't forget the clear pvc cement... I'm sure you prolly already remembered that though. If it were me, I'd prolly get everything dry fit and ready to go only to realize all I has was the purple stuff. :lol:

Edit: I wonder if there would be a way to make some sort of cylindrical mag float that would fit inside the pipe... That would make it TONS easier to keep those pipes sparkling. Or just a baby bottle brush on the end of something long and flexible.

Edited by Ben314z
kermitthedaniel

i dont get why you just didnt build a box around them and paint it the colour of the rest of the room, so that you dont even see it?? well its ordered already. ive never seen clear pvc pipes before makes sure you get us some pics.

Wow-o! My wallet feels for yours. Don't forget the clear pvc cement... I'm sure you prolly already remembered that though. If it were me, I'd prolly get everything dry fit and ready to go only to realize all I has was the purple stuff. :lol:

Edit: I wonder if there would be a way to make some sort of cylindrical mag float that would fit inside the pipe... That would make it TONS easier to keep those pipes sparkling. Or just a baby bottle brush on the end of something long and flexible.

I think trying to scrub the pipes clean will be a nightmare... Vingar bath is the cure all for everything coraline, it will just fall off. :D

i dont get why you just didnt build a box around them and paint it the colour of the rest of the room, so that you dont even see it?? well its ordered already. ive never seen clear pvc pipes before makes sure you get us some pics.

Because I can't have a box on top of the tank (hiding the pipe) and having a pipe sticking out of a box will look like an attempted cover-up. These is no way to make it disappear, so the next best thing I can come up with is to make it stand out. Hopefully the clear pipe will give it a unique look, if not I can alway change it for something else. Pics to come at the end of the week; pipe ships today.

i bet you could make a diy round mag float out of some smaller pvc cut in half and velcro. that way you could always keep the clear pvc clean if it becomes a problem

you could make it small enough so you could fit it in the output.

Edited by tyty22

if you go to adana website (ada US distributor) you will find a pipe cleaning tool used for cleaning there glass pipes. it looks flexible enough to fit all those 90 deg bends.

i bet you could make a diy round mag float out of some smaller pvc cut in half and velcro. that way you could always keep the clear pvc clean if it becomes a problem

you could make it small enough so you could fit it in the output.

Shouldn't need it, please see my previous post...

if you go to adana website (ada US distributor) you will find a pipe cleaning tool used for cleaning there glass pipes. it looks flexible enough to fit all those 90 deg bends.

Shouldn't need anything more than a snake to push a piece of paper towel through, vinegar will take care of the rest.

When will be adding water? just curious

When it's ready.

reeforreefoutyou

I've been watching this build almost every day for what seems like an eternity. I have never sent a message because it would be the same " That is the coolest thing I've ever seen!" kind of thing. It is, by the way, the coolest thing I have ever seen. But today at 4 A.M. for some reason I developed a very strong opinion about this whole return line problem.

Think about how cool it will be to look down the length of that tank, all the way to the overflow. I know the current return pipe will only obscure a few inches but those are valuable inches. Plus, the whole project is so tight and streamlined that a year from now it will really stick out. That will be the only plumbing anyone sees in that room, maybe even your whole house.

I really don't want to sound negative but you are on the verge of perfection here.It is obvious that you have the patience, resources, ability, and intelligence to solve this problem.

I came up with a couple of ideas, and you have probably already thought of them but here they are anyway:

1. Since flow isn't the issue on the clear end, would it be possible to run the pump back through the third hole in the overflow and still have room for the light wires?

2. You say that you don't want a pipe all the way to the top of the tank, or else you could run it through the bottom. Why not put a check valve in the return line and then you wouldn't need a pipe to go to the top. In a power outage, only a little bit would drain back into the sump, nowhere near enough to flood.

3. If you do keep it external, it might be cool ( and yes this one is a long-shot ) to find maybe a sculpted metal faucet of sorts. It would look intentional and a bit artistic.

After seeing it typed out, that last one seems pretty silly but I really think that somewhere there is a better solution. Either way, that tank is amazing.

oooo snap. lol. good job man, keep pluggin along.

LOL! Thanks

i would buy a rock and hide the pipe inside it. or just leave it, i think it will look kind of cool.

I don't want a rock that goes all the way to the waterline... :(

You sir, are a badazz. Keep at it... your my momentary hero.

-pinner

LOL! Thanks!

I've been watching this build almost every day for what seems like an eternity. I have never sent a message because it would be the same " That is the coolest thing I've ever seen!" kind of thing. It is, by the way, the coolest thing I have ever seen. But today at 4 A.M. for some reason I developed a very strong opinion about this whole return line problem.

Think about how cool it will be to look down the length of that tank, all the way to the overflow. I know the current return pipe will only obscure a few inches but those are valuable inches. Plus, the whole project is so tight and streamlined that a year from now it will really stick out. That will be the only plumbing anyone sees in that room, maybe even your whole house.

I really don't want to sound negative but you are on the verge of perfection here.It is obvious that you have the patience, resources, ability, and intelligence to solve this problem.

I came up with a couple of ideas, and you have probably already thought of them but here they are anyway:

1. Since flow isn't the issue on the clear end, would it be possible to run the pump back through the third hole in the overflow and still have room for the light wires?

2. You say that you don't want a pipe all the way to the top of the tank, or else you could run it through the bottom. Why not put a check valve in the return line and then you wouldn't need a pipe to go to the top. In a power outage, only a little bit would drain back into the sump, nowhere near enough to flood.

3. If you do keep it external, it might be cool ( and yes this one is a long-shot ) to find maybe a sculpted metal faucet of sorts. It would look intentional and a bit artistic.

After seeing it typed out, that last one seems pretty silly but I really think that somewhere there is a better solution. Either way, that tank is amazing.

Thanks for taking the time to post. :D Here are my reason for not going this route:

1... I will be relying on flow from the opposite end to try to help push the suface water towards the overflow box. I'm afraid I won't have the flow I need without running the return from the opposite end. I originally was going to run it up through the overflow and down the length of the tank (hidden by a canopy). When I decided to go with a pendant, that hole in the overflow had to go to the wires and route the return under the stand now instead. :(

2... Check valves are not 100% full proof, and the time the pump fails/power outage would be the time the check valves fails too. :( Just not willing to take that risk.

3... This one has been suggested to me a couple time on other sites and I'm using it as a back up plan. Essentially I feel I'm already doing something like this, but with clear pipe instead of a painted Chrome, or some other color pipe. I still don't know what would be best, but at this point I feel like this is my best option... I do not want to try to drywall it in as IMO it would still look funny to see a pipe coming out of the wall, and in the event I need to do any maintenance on it, I can't get to it. I don't want to just paint it to match the wall color as this will truely look like a bad attempt at hiding it... Of course my thoughts might change one I see the clear PVC in person and have it all rigged up, but I won't know that until Dec 1 when the pipe is scheduled to arrive. :( Guess that's the penalty for ordering it on Turkey Week. ;)

Thanks again for your thoughts and time to post. :D

I have tried clear pipes and they go green/brown inside :( Mine was an oscar tank on FW so maybe it will be different for marine. I hope so because you have such a stunning design!

cant wait for water/rock.

very curious as to what kind of skape you plan on going with.

any thoughts?

any progress on the lighting?

Edited by seagul

why not do what all the planted tank guys do and use clear vinyl tubing and a lily pipe as the return? Thats my plan for my own setup as i think they look classy and are easy to service.

http://www.calaqualabs.com/Fluxus.html

granted all these pipes are designed for canister filters with 1/2"-3/4" tubing, so custom ones might need to be had. But I think something like this would be a nice.

DUDE WHERES THE WATER??? j/k im glad to see after all the abuse frm us, you still are taking your time, and doing everything right!! i was just checking out your gallery, and DUDE! i thought my brother who loves in arizona was standing in front of your tank! you could pass as his twin! freeeaky!!!

I have tried clear pipes and they go green/brown inside :( Mine was an oscar tank on FW so maybe it will be different for marine. I hope so because you have such a stunning design!

That's why I will have a 2nd set so I can swap them for a clean one while I get the dirty one cleaned...

cant wait for water/rock.

very curious as to what kind of skape you plan on going with.

any thoughts?

any progress on the lighting?

Me too. ;) Rockscape will be a series of islands in the center of the tank covering all the plumbing.

Light is just waiting on time... My focus right now is getting the water in the tank, I can get the rock going in the tank without lights and then once the lights are done I can start stocking.

Still loving it :)

Thanks!

Awesome Cal :D

Thanks!

why not do what all the planted tank guys do and use clear vinyl tubing and a lily pipe as the return? Thats my plan for my own setup as i think they look classy and are easy to service.

http://www.calaqualabs.com/Fluxus.html

granted all these pipes are designed for canister filters with 1/2"-3/4" tubing, so custom ones might need to be had. But I think something like this would be a nice.

Would probably look nice, but with the eurobrace it would be tough to make it work.

amazing! absolutely amazing! I am at a loss for words! I am sooooo tagging along!

Thanks!

He is ;)

Almost...

DUDE WHERES THE WATER??? j/k im glad to see after all the abuse frm us, you still are taking your time, and doing everything right!! i was just checking out your gallery, and DUDE! i thought my brother who loves in arizona was standing in front of your tank! you could pass as his twin! freeeaky!!!

LOL! First time I've heard that... Maybe post a pic, as long as he's not Lovin anything in the pic. ;) LOL!

If he loves in Arizona maybe Cal is his illegitimate son ;)

LOL! No on that one. ;)

So here's my photo update:

I guess, let me start with the work done this weekend...

Here's the vent cover installed (yes I cut the drywall behind it) which vents directly over my 3 IceCap 660 ballasts:

DSCN4507.jpg

Across from the ballast (on the left) are my wire connection bars (screw down connections). These will connect my ballasts to the pendant when it's built. All the wires from the pendant will come down through the center bulkhead pictured and route over to the connection bars and the ballasts will just swing around the plumbing and connect to the matching wire from the pendant, hope that makes sense...

DSCN4511.jpg

Closer...

DSCN4509.jpg

Here's the fans I'll be installing in the end of the tank, 32 CFM and only 14 dBA! I can't wait for the power supply to get here!!!

DSCN4523.jpg

DSCN4525.jpg

And before I show you the new return plumbing, here's why it's not against the column... There is a 2x4 in the way.

DSCN4513.jpg

Okay, here it is w/ the three fan holes (which will have white speaker style covers), for some reason the pipe looks crooked in the pics, but it's perfectly plumb and level...

DSCN4515.jpg

DSCN4503.jpg

DSCN4518.jpg

And what it will look like (sort of) once the doors are installed.

DSCN4517.jpg