ReefCleaners.org

Calvin415's LED lit 12 footer

calvin415

Still the baddest project going!

I think the clear tubing looks good and the vent covers should look nice as well. Just super clean, very well thought out. Keep up the good work!

Bill

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• calvin415

• jerzsky

• Boomboy

• lakshwadeep

/drool

Those Silenx fans are great. Much quieter than most other fans I've heard and they're not too $$. Are you going put one or two behind the vent above your ballast? Just curious.

I really hope that clear pipe works out. If its successful, it makes me wonder how tricky it would be to custom bend a solid piece of that stuff... Prolly have to insert something flexible into the middle of it to maintain interior diameter tho. Man your build has my brain spinning circles around one subject: "must build own custom tank!" I mean, custom designing and building it all is half the fun. ;)

What page is your equipment list on? I am in need of help on heater selection on large tanks. As I see yours is a huge tank I have been wondering what heater you are going to use.

Amazing tank, absolutely amazing. I'm scared to even try a setup with a sump because I'm worried the plumbing will end up all over my carpet. To undertake something like this is crazy. Absolutely crazy. Can't wait to see this thing in action.

I'd love to see a school of anthias in there. I know you said you're worried about them getting too large, but I love anthia schools and you actually have the tank to do it. :)

The only thing I worry about (and I know you do too) is that pipe that comes up the back. And I' being really nitpicky here. Your tank looks prettier empty than mine does full. :lol: The artistic pipe thing mentioned by another poster a few pages back could work. To be honest, it's not the pipe itself, its what that pipe will look like after a couple months. I know you said you have a replacement pipe already, but changing tht thing out an cleaning it that often seems like it may become kind of a drag.

Still the baddest project going!

I think the clear tubing looks good and the vent covers should look nice as well. Just super clean, very well thought out. Keep up the good work!

Bill

Thanks!!!

/drool

Those Silenx fans are great. Much quieter than most other fans I've heard and they're not too $$. Are you going put one or two behind the vent above your ballast? Just curious.

I really hope that clear pipe works out. If its successful, it makes me wonder how tricky it would be to custom bend a solid piece of that stuff... Prolly have to insert something flexible into the middle of it to maintain interior diameter tho. Man your build has my brain spinning circles around one subject: "must build own custom tank!" I mean, custom designing and building it all is half the fun. ;)

No, all three fans will be in the end of the stand blowing all the air out (utility room is directly across from the end of the stand), the vent will be the source of all the air coming in which will blow over the ballasts.

What page is your equipment list on? I am in need of help on heater selection on large tanks. As I see yours is a huge tank I have been wondering what heater you are going to use.

Don't have one yet, it's all over the place. For heater I haven't decided yet, but it will be a titanium heating element with a controller.

Amazing tank, absolutely amazing. I'm scared to even try a setup with a sump because I'm worried the plumbing will end up all over my carpet. To undertake something like this is crazy. Absolutely crazy. Can't wait to see this thing in action.

I'd love to see a school of anthias in there. I know you said you're worried about them getting too large, but I love anthia schools and you actually have the tank to do it. :)

The only thing I worry about (and I know you do too) is that pipe that comes up the back. And I' being really nitpicky here. Your tank looks prettier empty than mine does full. :lol: The artistic pipe thing mentioned by another poster a few pages back could work. To be honest, it's not the pipe itself, its what that pipe will look like after a couple months. I know you said you have a replacement pipe already, but changing tht thing out an cleaning it that often seems like it may become kind of a drag.

LOL! It's not a scary or as risky as most think. I too love anthias, and I could probably get away with it, at least until they get large and have to be swapped out.

Only time will tell if cleaning and swapping pipes becomes a drag, I don't anticipate much other maintenance requirements, empty the skimmer regularly, water changes will be done with pumps and hoses, and top off will be automated, just have to keep the 15g barrel full. Hopefully it will be easy to maintain, I've designed as much as I can with this in mind so those things like pipe replacement will be simple as well. Really, all I'll have to do, is kill the flow, remove the 90* in the tank, unscrew the pipe, screw in the new one and re-attach the 90* in the tank. Oh, and put the pipe in a bucket of vingar to break up any coraline. :)

Ultimately it's just a matter of taste, what looks good to one person might look terrible to another. I think the pipe issue is just that. IMO, trying to cover the pipe with an artistic cover would look tacky (like a yard full of gnomes :D) , but that's just my taste.

Thanks!!!

No, all three fans will be in the end of the stand blowing all the air out (utility room is directly across from the end of the stand), the vent will be the source of all the air coming in which will blow over the ballasts.

Don't have one yet, it's all over the place. For heater I haven't decided yet, but it will be a titanium heating element with a controller.

LOL! It's not a scary or as risky as most think. I too love anthias, and I could probably get away with it, at least until they get large and have to be swapped out.

Only time will tell if cleaning and swapping pipes becomes a drag, I don't anticipate much other maintenance requirements, empty the skimmer regularly, water changes will be done with pumps and hoses, and top off will be automated, just have to keep the 15g barrel full. Hopefully it will be easy to maintain, I've designed as much as I can with this in mind so those things like pipe replacement will be simple as well. Really, all I'll have to do, is kill the flow, remove the 90* in the tank, unscrew the pipe, screw in the new one and re-attach the 90* in the tank. Oh, and put the pipe in a bucket of vingar to break up any coraline. :)

Ultimately it's just a matter of taste, what looks good to one person might look terrible to another. I think the pipe issue is just that. IMO, trying to cover the pipe with an artistic cover would look tacky (like a yard full of gnomes :D) , but that's just my taste.

Like a yard full of gnomes.... I just spit diet coke all over my keyboard..

hahahahahha

cant wait to see this thing with water in it.

everythings looking great!!

Thanks!!!

every time i read the title E i just cant help but think you have a 12 ft bong stashed somewhere lol

LOL! Thanks buddy!

Like a yard full of gnomes.... I just spit diet coke all over my keyboard..

hahahahahha

cant wait to see this thing with water in it.

LOL! ;) Thanks, I can't wait either!

do u expect any bowing once its filled with water? also did u order the frame with the doors or did u make it?

I don't expect any bowing at all, the tank is actually very overbuilt, in-fact, with all the bracing and dimension it could have been done out of 1/4" and I used 1/2" just to beef it up. The frame I built using of Poplar and just routered the outer edge.

Edited by calvin415
AcroporaLokani

I am drooling and thinking of a place I could build a tank like yours. What are you going to put in the tank once its setup? And you probably said it before but how many gallons is your tank?

I am drooling and thinking of a place I could build a tank like yours. What are you going to put in the tank once its setup? And you probably said it before but how many gallons is your tank?

LOL! I'm planning a completely mixed reef... Ricordia , Zoanthids, Blastos, Acans, Micros, Chalices, Clams, Goni's, Lobos, and lots of Acros. A nice mix of small fish including leopard and melanaris wrasses, lyretail anthias, flame and or potters angels, possibly 1 center piece tang, blennies, gobies, shrimp, stars, and anything else I just can't live without. ;) Tank is only 140 gallons (outside dimensions) so it should be interesting how much I'm actually able to fit in the tank.

Edited by calvin415
lol "only 140 gallons"

I'm serious... The 225g that I maintain at my folks is out of room and we have a local in our club with a crowded 600g. This baby still feels like a nano to me despite the volume...

Well I have a new plan for both the canopy and return pipe, I'll let everyone in on the idea once I build it/confirm it's going to work. :D

I just ordered the last of the loclines I need, the float valve for the ATO, and will have my power management tomorrow night. :D That should be everything to get water in it, I'll take more pics as things start coming together. ;) All that's left I think it the canopy, sand, and my water changing station.

dude seriously... FINISH this thing already! I been waiting too long to see what this thing will look like stocked... You're killin' me.

every time i read the title E i just cant help but think you have a 12 ft bong stashed somewhere lol

:lmao: That went through my head once too.

kermitthedaniel

nice to see that clear pvc, i hope it stays clear for you, looks really good now, so does everything else nice and clean it will be a big help in the long run. it will look awesome with a bunch of small fish in your tank, and the length help to make territory without them getting into each others. definatly need at least one big fish to stick out and the rest small. but where oh where is your QT tank, with all those fish, i think you might want one.

I'm serious... The 225g that I maintain at my folks is out of room and we have a local in our club with a crowded 600g. This baby still feels like a nano to me despite the volume...

if you would like i could help you out by putting some of those frags in my tanks. :D

Here's some updates:

So I'll start small...

Here's the power management, yes I just put them in the stand (still need to prime it)... I pulled out the stand and actually stood on it (right in the middle) and not a crack our of it so it's staying simple.

DSCN4534.jpg

ATO Float Valve is installed.

DSCN4533.jpg

Dual sumps are plumbed and connected.

DSCN4532.jpg

Loc Lines are installed.

DSCN4531.jpg

And here's what I ended up doing for the pipe... I took runningstix's idea of building a chase which will have a door covering the front for access (yes it's still to be built). The chase will have a dual purpose; it will hide the return pipe, but it will also hide a cable which will be run for raising and lowing the light pendant (also still to be built) with a switch. :D

Some more drying time needed, sanding, more mud, more sanding, texture and paint.

DSCN4528.jpg

DSCN4530.jpg

Hopefully this makes everyone more happy with the pipe. ;) I do wish it didn't cut off as much of the end view as it does. :(

Edited by calvin415

Progress! Yay!

I like the chase, Eric. I think it will look really nice finished up.

Everything else looks good, too, except for your RO stand. I'd add a little bracing just from looking at the pics, but you can see it (and stand on it!) in person so I'll take your word on it. Looking forward to seeing this hoist system, it's piqued my interest.