inTank Media Baskets

Rock Flower Anemone Information and Appreciation Thread

Mirya

Interesting! I didn't think of it being bleached as it came that way and the mouth is fluorescent yellow! How do I "unbleach" Whitey?

Whitey is huge - about 5". And is striped, but alternating bright white and more translucent/off white. Same with its tentacles. He's got good coloring on his foot, so I figured he was healthy.

How long have you had whitey? I think it probably is fine. There is nothing you can do if it is indeed bleached, exepct keep in lower light and feed more often. It's up to the nem to gather the zooxanthellae.

Here is another all white RFA in this thread. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2259669

• Like 1
jamescstein

FYI there are white RFA's. Though in high lighting "Whitey" will probably turn a muddy brown with white stripes

Same RFA

IMG_4030.jpg

IMG_3831.jpg

It's actually hard to see cause I suck at photo's of tanks,. but in the first picture it was almost completely white, now the disk is a light dusty brown

• Like 2

How long have you had whitey? I think it probably is fine. There is nothing you can do if it is indeed bleached, exepct keep in lower light and feed more often. It's up to the nem to gather the zooxanthellae.

Here is another all white RFA in this thread. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2259669

We've had whitey about 5 months - and he is definitely not in an intensely lit tank and eats fairly often. So I'm hoping he will stay this color - I love the all white!

That white one in that thread looks just like Whitey!

• Like 1
Manbearfish

So I got my zoa pack from saltcritters a few minutes ago along with a rock flower nem that I ordered, but I'm a bit confused on placement, I read that some people say place it on the sand bed and let it bury its foot, I've also read to hold its foot to a piece of lr with the pumps turned off and it should attach itself within 30 seconds, opinions???

Interesting! I didn't think of it being bleached as it came that way and the mouth is fluorescent yellow! How do I "unbleach" Whitey?

Whitey is huge - about 5". And is striped, but alternating bright white and more translucent/off white. Same with its tentacles. He's got good coloring on his foot, so I figured he was healthy.

That translucent quality is how you know it is bleached. I have an RFA I got from SC last year (it was $5!) that looked like this on arrival:

Meringue_zps3aa9098f.jpg

Over time -- just occasional feeding and I'd say a fair amount of light -- the tentacles have become more intensely green and the oral disk has a brown pattern to it.

So I got my zoa pack from saltcritters a few minutes ago along with a rock flower nem that I ordered, but I'm a bit confused on placement, I read that some people say place it on the sand bed and let it bury its foot, I've also read to hold its foot to a piece of lr with the pumps turned off and it should attach itself within 30 seconds, opinions???

Either works. Some of them like to park on rock. Others like to bury their foot in the sand at the base of the rock. They will move to where they are most comfortable.

• Like 1

I placed mine in primo spots (in my mind) on the rock and they attached after a few seconds. I tried to place one in the sand, and it just grabbed onto some sand and started to float. Stuck it on the rock and it attached in less than 10 seconds. Just hold them in place for a bit and they will attach. Pumps off.

That said, all three have moved across the tank into different spots. One in the front left corner, one half on rock half on sand, and the other on top of a pile of mushrooms.

• Like 2

I placed mine in primo spots (in my mind) on the rock and they attached after a few seconds. I tried to place one in the sand, and it just grabbed onto some sand and started to float. Stuck it on the rock and it attached in less than 10 seconds. Just hold them in place for a bit and they will attach. Pumps off.

That said, all three have moved across the tank into different spots. One in the front left corner, one half on rock half on sand, and the other on top of a pile of mushrooms.

Photos!!

I place mine at the edge of the rocks, so it can decide if it wants to be in the sand or on the rocks.

In my experience, they will start to attach in a few minutes. I usually leave the pumps off and walk away for 5 or so minutes, and in that time they are at least partially or mostly attached. Then I turn the pumps back on and supervise for a little while to make sure they don't float off.

But in the end, they WILL walk around to where they are most comfortable!

• Like 1
FlowerMama

The flower is not bleached. It wouldn't live this long if it was. There are white ones. And yours is the pretties white I've seen. It looks very healthy.

• Like 1

Hey all, Cindy P suggested I hop over here to see if anyone can help me with my RFA. He's been in the tank for apx 8 months or so, and has been perfect. I added a porcelain anemone crab about 3 weeks ago, who immediately found the nem and set up camp. The nem seemed instantly irritated with the crab, and within 2 weeks, stop inflating, and actually started moving. I removed the crab and took him home, but the nem wandered for a couple more days and then finally let go and has been free-floating in the tank since. I have tried to encourage him to re-attach, but so far, no luck. Params are all excellent, and I've done a few extra water changes this last 2 weeks just in case. He perks up during the day, and even eats ok still, but he wont attach and is just not his happy self.

Is there anything more I can/should be doing for him? I have just left him alone this week, and he does seem to be perking up a little more each day, but still no attempt at moving or trying to attach to anything.

I thought about taking him home to see if putting him in a different tank would help, but I took the crab home, and I think if the crab finds him again, I will be back to square one.

Just kind of at a loss here and dont know quite what to do............

The nem today

584C1D40-B0A9-4659-A597-33D04AF03668_zps

The nem before, when he was happy and attached to the rock

26_zpsolnbp0yi.jpg

• Like 1

That's a beautiful anemone. I'd probably move it to where it had been previously happy, and let it be for awhile. I wouldn't even feed it until it settles in a bit.

Thanks, he is very pretty. I just did another water change, and put him back on his rock, where he used to be, and he seems to be attaching and perking up even more. We shall see what the day brings, hoping he stays this way and is still there tomorrow :-)

"crossing fingers"

• Like 1

gorgeous RFA, fish!

he doesn't look bad at all. i agree, don't feed

him again until he attaches maybe and stays

attached for a few days.

as it were, i don't feed my RFA except maybe every

7-10 days.

• Like 1
My tiny reef

VIP has nems again!! I'm tempted but just got several locally so will hold off until I can spend the $200 to get free shipping.

Here are some of mine. I love the little one's purple mouth, can't wait till it gets bigger.

image_58.jpg

image_61.jpg

image_60.jpg

image_59.jpg

• Like 3

Helloo citizens of this thread :) I've done a bit of reading on here which persuaded me to try some rock nems out for myself so I just wanted to say thank you and that I hope my garden will get as vibrant as the ones featured here! However, I think I have a bit of a problem I was hoping some of you might be able to help with.

One of my nems, which I've had for a couple months now has started to gape recently after expelling some brown stringy waste which I removed manually. It still has its color, though the white outline has faded, responds to touch, and accepts food.

Here it is after I first got it:

IMG_0729_zpsfj3sl0zb.jpg

Today, I fed it a piece of raw table shrimp which it accepted, but this evening, it looked like this:

IMG_1124_zpsd1ggiusf.jpg

So my questions are: should I leave it alone, will it die, and if so, what should I do?

BTW, here's my other nem, which looks healthy as far as I can tell, plus I had my water checked yesterday and nothing suspicious turned up so I'm thinking water isn't an issue.

IMG_1132_zps1yywuudr.jpg

Any help appreciated! Thanks again :)

My tiny reef

Helloo citizens of this thread :) I've done a bit of reading on here which persuaded me to try some rock nems out for myself so I just wanted to say thank you and that I hope my garden will get as vibrant as the ones featured here! However, I think I have a bit of a problem.

One of my nems, which I've had for a couple months now has started to gape recently after expelling some brown stringy waste which I removed manually. It still has its color, though the white outline has faded, responds to touch, and accepts food.

Here it is after I first got it:

IMG_0729_zpsfj3sl0zb.jpg

Today, I fed it a piece of raw table shrimp which it accepted, but this evening, it looked like this:

IMG_1124_zpsd1ggiusf.jpg

So my questions are: should I leave it alone, will it die, and if so, what should I do?

BTW, here's my other nem, which looks healthy as far as I can tell, plus I had my water checked yesterday and nothing suspicious turned up so I'm thinking water isn't an issue.

IMG_1132_zps1yywuudr.jpg

Any help appreciated! Thanks again :)

I don't think yours looks like it's dying. I have had one die and it alternated between looking okay to looking really shriveled and "deathlike" for a couple weeks. It never seemed healthy after I brought it home. If yours has been healthy for months then it's probably fine and just trying to expell waste. Keep an eye on it to see how it does. Mine went under a cave to die, I had to take all the rocks out to try to get out as much as I could but it had already started melting away. So if it starts moving really watch it. Good luck, they are pretty!

Dark stuff is poop. I would get mysis shrimp, not table shrimp. Mine would spit out table shrimp, so that meant they didn't like it. Mine also love LRS Fish Frenzy which is all sorts of frozen foods, fish, shrimp, squid, clams, etc all in one pouch.

Also make sure it's tiny pieces you are feeding. You should see them contort in funny ways when cyclopeeze comes their way.

• Like 1
  • Christopher Marks pinned this topic