Coral Vue Hydros

Polarcollision's Nuvo 24: March FTS

Polarcollision

Polarcollision

I don't think that 2 days would be a problem in temperate weather. The nicest little frag of the yellow polyps is already promised. I have another rock with some struggling yellow polyps but that rock has lots of algae on it too. If you don't mind trying to nurse the yellow polyps back and dealing with the algae? We probably should wait for this cold snap to end. Its been bitter here.

Probably wouldn't push my luck on that, mostly because it would pile on stress with the 2-day shipping. Put me on your list when you're ready to frag again.

sweet!

I had that macro in my frag tank. It must have come in as a hitchhiker, though I never remember it on a frag. It only grew on my Alternative Reef Wrasse Den (ceramic bowl that gave my sand sleeping wrasse a sand bed to sleep in), but not anywhere else in the frag tank. It completely covered the bowl.

That's been my experience with it too. I heard the same analogy to green bubble. Worried about it. Then, a Long time ago it grew quite large and a crab popped the bladder. Was sure it was going to show up everywhere. But it never did. It sometimes pushes the blondie zoas out of the light so I'll pull it out and even then it didn't spread. I did want to move it away from the zoas, but it's been pretty difficult to kill off without damaging the zoas too.

This is the red version of the pretty green bubble algae in your tank, you know that right?

Botryocladia skottsbergii has been dubbed by some as 'Red Valonia', though the implied comparison is apt only when a specimen is very young, and the grapelike bladders appear to be directly attached to the substrate as in the photo. As this red alga grows, the rust-colored, branching stipe becomes obvious, though the entire thallus rarely grows to protrude more than an inch off the substrate. The bladders themselves are small, rarely growing little larger than 1/3 inch in diameter, and appear a smooth, transparent red-brown to reddish purple. Tiny dark spots (called cystocarps) visible on the inside of the vesicle wall herald sexual reproduction. The species is found around the Indian Ocean, into the Western Pacific, south to Australia and eastwards to Hawaii.Botryocladia uvarioides forms smaller, more numerous vesicles, on a highly branching stipe that can give specimens heights of nearly a foot from the substrate, looking very much like a bunch of grapes. The species has a curious distribution, with records thus far only in the Philippines and in Baja California. Botryocladia botryoides also forms tall thalli, but there is less incidence of branching, and so the 'stems' are longer, and adorned with bladders. It is found throughout Indian Ocean and the Mediterranean, as well as locations along the Eastern Atlantic. Only record in the Western Pacific is in the Philippines. Other species include: Botryocladia leptopoda from Arabia to the eastern shores of continental Asia and down to Australia; Botryocladia microphysa, a primarily Mediterranean alga with records in the Canary Islands and Indonesia; and Botryocladia pyriformis from the Canary Islands, the Seychelles in the Indian Ocean, and the waters from China to the Philippines.Botryocladia vesicles usually float when severed, because the mucilaginate fluid inside is less dense than water.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-02/hcj/feature/index.php

cool info

This is the red version of the pretty green bubble algae in your tank, you know that right?

Botryocladia skottsbergii has been dubbed by some as 'Red Valonia', though the implied comparison is apt only when a specimen is very young, and the grapelike bladders appear to be directly attached to the substrate as in the photo. As this red alga grows, the rust-colored, branching stipe becomes obvious, though the entire thallus rarely grows to protrude more than an inch off the substrate. The bladders themselves are small, rarely growing little larger than 1/3 inch in diameter, and appear a smooth, transparent red-brown to reddish purple. Tiny dark spots (called cystocarps) visible on the inside of the vesicle wall herald sexual reproduction. The species is found around the Indian Ocean, into the Western Pacific, south to Australia and eastwards to Hawaii.Botryocladia uvarioides forms smaller, more numerous vesicles, on a highly branching stipe that can give specimens heights of nearly a foot from the substrate, looking very much like a bunch of grapes. The species has a curious distribution, with records thus far only in the Philippines and in Baja California. Botryocladia botryoides also forms tall thalli, but there is less incidence of branching, and so the 'stems' are longer, and adorned with bladders. It is found throughout Indian Ocean and the Mediterranean, as well as locations along the Eastern Atlantic. Only record in the Western Pacific is in the Philippines. Other species include: Botryocladia leptopoda from Arabia to the eastern shores of continental Asia and down to Australia; Botryocladia microphysa, a primarily Mediterranean alga with records in the Canary Islands and Indonesia; and Botryocladia pyriformis from the Canary Islands, the Seychelles in the Indian Ocean, and the waters from China to the Philippines.Botryocladia vesicles usually float when severed, because the mucilaginate fluid inside is less dense than water.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-02/hcj/feature/index.php

:) I love it!

I don't blame you for not wanting the stress. After all, don't we have our tanks to help us unwind?

It might be awhile before my own colony is big enough to frag. I don't get much growth in some coral probably because I keep the temperature at 70. It seems only the mushrooms, palys, zoas and macro algae grow much in those temps.

Polarcollision

I don't blame you for not wanting the stress. After all, don't we have our tanks to help us unwind?

It might be awhile before my own colony is big enough to frag. I don't get much growth in some coral probably because I keep the temperature at 70. It seems only the mushrooms, palys, zoas and macro algae grow much in those temps.

Oh, I meant that I worried about overstressing the yellow polyps with the two-day. Thought it might push them over the edge. I don't mind the challenge of nursing little frags back, and algae is no big deal. Still, If you'd like the red algae let me know. :-) Counting down the days til the ponies are here! Added a sea squirt for kicks. Ought to be fantastic filter feeder for any uneaten food.

• Like 3
Polarcollision

You getting some horses for the tank?

:-) !!!! Dwarf horses for the little Nuvo 8 macro/gorg garden. The mandarin and crab are lonely. ;-)

I've not started a thread for the tank because it broke out in the most glorious dino outbreak Ive ever seen. Figured there wasn't much good to share. Finally burned themselves out last month after... maybe 8 months of dinos.

• Like 3

:-) !!!! Dwarf horses for the little Nuvo 8 macro/gorg garden. The mandarin and crab are lonely. ;-)

I've not started a thread for the tank because it broke out in the most glorious dino outbreak Ive ever seen. Figured there wasn't much good to share. Finally burned themselves out last month after... maybe 8 months of dinos.

Awesome.....oh boy- I can never let my wife see your tank. So now that the Dino's are done- new thread in order? ?
  • Like 1

Oh, I meant that I worried about overstressing the yellow polyps with the two-day. Thought it might push them over the edge. I don't mind the challenge of nursing little frags back, and algae is no big deal. Still, If you'd like the red algae let me know. :-) Counting down the days til the ponies are here! Added a sea squirt for kicks. Ought to be fantastic filter feeder for any uneaten food.

I am excited for you to get your ponies! That is going to be a fascinting tank and I wish you the best of success.

Polarcollision

Dwarf sea horses :wub::wub: Can't wait!!!

I can't believe this is allowed, it's too good to be true :lol:

Right?! They're so tiny. About 1 to 1.5". I got 6 to start with, but the breeder said 25 wouldn't strain the tank. They're not as colorful as Erectus ponies, mostly white and yellow, which I thought would contrast nicely with red macros.

Awesome.....oh boy- I can never let my wife see your tank. So now that the Dino's are done- new thread in order? ?

Should I? You know how bad I am at updates. or should I just keep everything here? I'm a huge proponent of automated reefing--this tank needs very little work. (On the off chance you wife finds out. ;-)

• Like 2
Polarcollision

I am excited for you to get your ponies! That is going to be a fascinting tank and I wish you the best of success.

Thank you! I'll be looking back at your pony tank often

• Like 1

My mind is still blown over a fat Mandy in a Nuvo8. Now I feel terrible for telling my husband all this time we couldn't have a Ruby Red Dragonet in our Nuvo8.

• Like 3

Right?! They're so tiny. About 1 to 1.5". I got 6 to start with, but the breeder said 25 wouldn't strain the tank. They're not as colorful as Erectus ponies, mostly white and yellow, which I thought would contrast nicely with red macros.

Should I? You know how bad I am at updates. or should I just keep everything here? I'm a huge proponent of automated reefing--this tank needs very little work. (On the off chance you wife finds out. ;-)

yes you should ? it's fun having two threads- I finally started up my 50gal. (Moai of the Sea)thread cause it was just conflicting to much with posting shots on my Nuvo thread. she will never see it- I already have to keep her away from Dawn's ?
  • Like 3

yes you should it's fun having two threads- I finally started up my 50gal. (Moai of the Sea)thread cause it was just conflicting to much with posting shots on my Nuvo thread. she will never see it- I already have to keep her away from Dawn's

Polar, maybe you and I need to have a little consultation with Scott's wife? Ha ha!

• Like 3

Polar, maybe you and I need to have a little consultation with Scott's wife? Ha ha!

hey - that could work. transition the Nuvo into a pony tank ? but I'd have to have a pipefish or 2 also ?
  • Like 4
Polarcollision

My mind is still blown over a fat Mandy in a Nuvo8. Now I feel terrible for telling my husband all this time we couldn't have a Ruby Red Dragonet in our Nuvo8.

Secret sauce is the home made BBS hatchery. Best thing I ever built. Took 3 iterations to get it working just right, but so worth the effort. Plans are a few pages back. Anyways, it pretty much creates a constant stream of naupalii. The nauplii that aren't eaten live end up in the filter which feeds amphipods, so it's a nice little ecosystem happening.

yes you should it's fun having two threads- I finally started up my 50gal. (Moai of the Sea)thread cause it was just conflicting to much with posting shots on my Nuvo thread. she will never see it- I already have to keep her away from Dawn's

Maaaayyybe. You know it's going to have 3 pages in 2 years. LOL

Make it a 3-way consult. Ponies for everyone!

hey - that could work. transition the Nuvo into a pony tank but I'd have to have a pipefish or 2 also

Well... you know there's dwarf pipefish too, right? You could have a whole army of ponies and pipes.

• Like 6

Well... you know there's dwarf pipefish too, right? You could have a whole army of ponies and pipes.

Hahaha- no you do much better than that! WHAT? dwarf pipefish.......that's my secret now ?

• Like 1
Polarcollision

Well, now I know what's going in my 10g tank when I upgrade some day :wub:

yep. I'm going to let the ponies settle in for a few weeks/months and then add 3+ of these guys. Max 3" is just too good to be true. Especially with that awesome blue racing stripe.

• Like 4

Secret sauce is the home made BBS hatchery. Best thing I ever built. Took 3 iterations to get it working just right, but so worth the effort. Plans are a few pages back. Anyways, it pretty much creates a constant stream of naupalii. The nauplii that aren't eaten live end up in the filter which feeds amphipods, so it's a nice little ecosystem happening.

Make it a 3-way consult. Ponies for everyone!

O yeah! I love it!

Ah ha! I figured you had some magic working here. I will dig through the thread to find out the BBS hatchery build.

OK, now mind is blown again that there are dwarf pipes. /swoon

• Like 2
Polarcollision

DWARF SEAHORSES

Acclimating in a jar. Fingertips for scale. They're even tinier than expected. A little more than 1" extended, but hitched to a post, they look barely larger than 1/2". Sorry about the potatocam photos

86VzLC3.jpg

Almost a year later, there are ponies in this tank!!

q0ecwKe.jpg

rg3UB68.jpg

myFCagq.jpg

ytekoGe.jpg
peYTqwR.jpg
qiA192p.jpg
z0uXXtx.jpg
UQLjrrh.jpgfyqbjkx.jpg
  • Like 13
  • Polarcollision changed the title to Polarcollision's Nuvo 24: FTV & new Apex