Innovative Marine Aquariums

Polarcollision's Nuvo 24: March FTS

Polarcollision

DWARF SEAHORSES

Acclimating in a jar. Fingertips for scale. They're even tinier than expected. A little more than 1" extended, but hitched to a post, they look barely larger than 1/2". Sorry about the potatocam photos

86VzLC3.jpg

Almost a year later, there are ponies in this tank!!

q0ecwKe.jpg

rg3UB68.jpg

myFCagq.jpg

ytekoGe.jpg

peYTqwR.jpg

qiA192p.jpg

z0uXXtx.jpg

UQLjrrh.jpgfyqbjkx.jpg

O no, I feel the lure of MTS coming on! The thoughts in my head are,"Run away Dawn while you still can....but they are O so cute!" Seriously Polar, if they thrive you will revolutionize how dwarf seahorse keeping is done. I hope you have a patent on your hatchery? LOL
  • Like 4
Polarcollision

Nawww, they are super cute :wub: .

Right?!! Someone tell me how to upload high def video from youtube to NR. I have movies!

6e77b56e961970dc1261f7bab46097dd10f5e3b4

Those have to be some of the most adorable things ever! SO TINY!

So much smaller than I expected! Now I know why he was trying to get me to order 20 instead of 6.

Yay! I'm in love :wub:

:wub: me too

OMG they are adorable! Nice color on them. Where did you order them from and how many did you get?

I ordered 6, and he sent 2 more. Excellent customer service and packaging. I can't believe they survived the extra 24 hour shipping delay -- thanks FedEx. It's only because they were packaged so well. http://www.mysaltwaterfishstore.com/seahorse/Also got a healthy purple gorgonian with orange polyps and a sea squirt.

O no, I feel the lure of MTS coming on! The thoughts in my head are,"Run away Dawn while you still can....but they are O so cute!" Seriously Polar, if they thrive you will revolutionize how dwarf seahorse keeping is done. I hope you have a patent on your hatchery? LOL

Well, so far so good. They're chomping down on the BBS, and there's a constant storm of nauplii to munch on. I *think* I see their bellies getting fuller. The return pump is too strong atm, there's a weaker one in the mail right now. In the mean time, I turn the pumps on standby for 15 min every hour to let them eat.

• Like 5

For YouTube just hit the share button in YouTube and paste the link in NR. After you post it you'll see the video preview in the post.

Must. Have. Videos!

• Like 1
Polarcollision

For YouTube just hit the share button in YouTube and paste the link in NR. After you post it you'll see the video preview in the post.

Must. Have. Videos!

Every time I've uploaded to youtube the resolution is cut to the point it's not worth watching. Any idea what's going on there?

Hmmm, not off hand. The pom pom video I posted in my 4g thread was high res and I didn't do anything special to make it work. Maybe YouTube doesn't like the specific format of your high res video file? Mine was mp4.

Every time I've uploaded to youtube the resolution is cut to the point it's not worth watching. Any idea what's going on there?

Is it actually cutting the resolution, or is it just when you replay it that its defaulting to a lower resolution? When you watch, you normally have to click the little gear icon at the bottom of the video to get to the settings and switch to HD. It won't give you the HD option at all if your internet connection isn't fast enough.

Oh, also, are you uploading to Youtube straight from your phone? For some reason there's always a huge resolution loss when you do that. I put my videos on my computer first and then upload them to Youtube.

Glad to hear they arrived looking so healthy even with that delay. I'd never heard of that company. I'll have to check them out! I can't wait to see this video of them eating from your awesome auto hatchery thingy. Such a cool tank concept!

• Like 1

I did look at the BBS hatchery plans a few pages back. I don't quite understand the construction, though I admit to being ignorant about how to hatch BBS anyways. :blush: I think you should approach a company like Avast Marine or Synergy Reef though and see if you could team up on a commercial product! Or, just build them in your basement. I'd pre-order one!

• Like 3

I did look at the BBS hatchery plans a few pages back. I don't quite understand the construction, though I admit to being ignorant about how to hatch BBS anyways. :blush: I think you should approach a company like Avast Marine or Synergy Reef though and see if you could team up on a commercial product! Or, just build them in your basement. I'd pre-order one!

I would too for sure! I tried to follow but like Mirya, I'm ignorant about how to hatch BBS.

• Like 3

I would too for sure! I tried to follow but like Mirya, I'm ignorant about how to hatch BBS.

Ha ha, don't feel bad girls. I even know how to hatch bbs and I still didn't understand how to make one! So give me a number and I will stand in line too!

• Like 3
Polarcollision

Is it actually cutting the resolution, or is it just when you replay it that its defaulting to a lower resolution? When you watch, you normally have to click the little gear icon at the bottom of the video to get to the settings and switch to HD. It won't give you the HD option at all if your internet connection isn't fast enough.

Oh, also, are you uploading to Youtube straight from your phone? For some reason there's always a huge resolution loss when you do that. I put my videos on my computer first and then upload them to Youtube.

Glad to hear they arrived looking so healthy even with that delay. I'd never heard of that company. I'll have to check them out! I can't wait to see this video of them eating from your awesome auto hatchery thingy. Such a cool tank concept!

For what it's worth I uploaded mine from my computer, not my phone.

Well, I uploaded them to iMovie from the phone and also from the DSLR. Then exported them to youtube from iMovie. I guess it's a setting there that's reducing them down to less than 720 ppi.

Ha ha, don't feel bad girls. I even know how to hatch bbs and I still didn't understand how to make one! So give me a number and I will stand in line too!

Let's give it a few weeks to see how it goes--might need to modify it once more if the ponies need even more food than the current version can produce. If everything is in the clear I'll add up the costs to build them and start taking orders. :-) It would be great to have a dwarf seahorse community on NR.

• Like 7

Let's give it a few weeks to see how it goes--might need to modify it once more if the ponies need even more food than the current version can produce. If everything is in the clear I'll add up the costs to build them and start taking orders. :-) It would be great to have a dwarf seahorse community on NR.

And all the ladies said,"Amen!"
  • Like 5

Well, I uploaded them to iMovie from the phone and also from the DSLR. Then exported them to youtube from iMovie. I guess it's a setting there that's reducing them down to less than 720 ppi.

This is exactly how I do mine except I always export my iMovie project to a file on my computer and then go upload it into Youtube. Maybe if you do it that way it will get around the size reduction?

• Like 1

Why can I only like this once?

• Like 4

Ladies, repeat after me...

God, give me grace to accept with serenity

that I do not even remotely need another tank,

Courage to resist the pull of

multiple tank syndrome,

and the Wisdom to distinguish

"I NEED it" from "I just impulsively want it".

:lol: I sooooo do not need a dwarf seahorse tank. However, I will totally just enjoy all your adorable photos!

• Like 6

Hey - my Nuvo8 has not had any fish in it since Yasha passed last month. It's set-up and running with only my candy pistol shrimp in it!

If I got a BBS hatchery IDK that I would take the plunge for dwarf seahorses. I'm thinking of more for a Moyer's dragonette. My husband has really really wanted one ever since he first saw them, and he would be pretty ecstatic if I got one.

• Like 3

Hey - my Nuvo8 has not had any fish in it since Yasha passed last month. It's set-up and running with only my candy pistol shrimp in it!

If I got a BBS hatchery IDK that I would take the plunge for dwarf seahorses. I'm thinking of more for a Moyer's dragonette. My husband has really really wanted one ever since he first saw them, and he would be pretty ecstatic if I got one.

Haha, I was just teasing! I think it would be great to have a group of people with dwarf seahorses on NR! I was more referring to myself. I know I don't have the time or energy for a second tank right now while I'm finishing my PhD and transitioning to a new job. I love this auto hatchery design deal! That would be great for TONS of different systems.

• Like 2

:) I would LOVE to have some dwarf seahorses in my 12 long macro tank!

• Like 4

So itty bitty, I saw that Saltcritters had dwarfs too and then I saw they always need fresh food and I'm like, mmm, nope. And while I did have some purple grape I also have those red colored speckled balloons in Gertie's tank, and I thought they were a version of bubble algae just oddly morphed. They grow really sloooooow.

• Like 3
Polarcollision

Hehe! (please don't let me be the only one who loves this character.)

tumblr_inline_nlsb3leHkP1s1ujya_1280.jpg

This is exactly how I do mine except I always export my iMovie project to a file on my computer and then go upload it into Youtube. Maybe if you do it that way it will get around the size reduction?

Been visiting my adopted grandma in the hospital instead of figuring it out -- a little frazzled. I will try this soon! Thank you.

Why can I only like this once?

Sweet! I'm starting to feel pretty good about this now that they've survived a week with me! So far so good on hatch rates--for capsulated bbs. I ordered the decapsulated brine to see if there was less mess/less waste, but it was a horrible, horrible idea. Sulfury rotten eggs and a stunned fish immediately (plus mild headaches for all humans). 100% water change later everybody is fine, but I sure slept fitfully that night.

Courage to resist the pull of

multiple tank syndrome,

and the Wisdom to distinguish

"I NEED it" from "I just impulsively want it".

:lol: I sooooo do not need a dwarf seahorse tank. However, I will totally just enjoy all your adorable photos!

Must be something wrong with my eyes. I swear you wrote:

God, give me grace to accept

that I will make the time each day to dump a spoon full of cysts into a hatchery,

Courage to work an extra shift to pay for

the new tank equipment,

And the Wisdom to realize

All roads have lead to this moment of looking a tiny seahorse in the eye and falling in love.

:::Googles Moyer's dragonet.::: Oooooh!!! So striking! WAIT a MINUTE. I think I saw one at the LFS today. Yellow fins, red body? That's a great fish!! From my experience (of one mandarin) the hatchery seems to be the way to go to keep these guys fat. That and the amphipod population. I can make the version I currently have in my tank for you since it's been feeding my mandarin for a long time. 6-12 months. I lost track. Anyways, pretty sure it's ready for that.

Do you have a skimmer on your Nuvo8? I think the tank would have broken in smoother/handled the bbs nutrient better if it had one. The coil denitrator worked, but I didn't like having to change the prefilter floss all the time. So lazy. Prefer to depend on technology over labor.

Haha, I was just teasing! I think it would be great to have a group of people with dwarf seahorses on NR! I was more referring to myself. I know I don't have the time or energy for a second tank right now while I'm finishing my PhD and transitioning to a new job. I love this auto hatchery design deal! That would be great for TONS of different systems.

I read the argument a lot about not putting hatcheries directly into tanks because--per the argument-- bacteria would make everything sick. That didn't really make sense to me. At first, maybe, but we all know that inadvertently reefers are actually bacteria farmers. A healthy tank has a good balance of biofilms everywhere. So I figured that bacteria balance would eventually spread into the hatchery too. OK, that's the long way round to say that, yes, I think can help a lot of systems too, even by being able to feed bbs to critters while it still has it's nutritious yolk.

:) I would LOVE to have some dwarf seahorses in my 12 long macro tank!

OK! You should do it! It's already half way there. I have the tank on a little end table between both couches. Everytime I sit down I end up gazing into the tank and being blown away by the warm fuzzies I get for these guys. Just love them. If everything continues to go as well as it has this week, I expect to be overrun with babies in a few months. ;-) The lights just went out on the tank. They've already figured out the schedule, so all 7 of them are knotted onto one little purple feather gorgonian for the night. Can you tell I'm in love?? BTW, heat packs arrived today. I'll mail your package on my next day off (next wednesday!) unless you tell me there's a blizzard.

So itty bitty, I saw that Saltcritters had dwarfs too and then I saw they always need fresh food and I'm like, mmm, nope. And while I did have some purple grape I also have those red colored speckled balloons in Gertie's tank, and I thought they were a version of bubble algae just oddly morphed. They grow really sloooooow.

Right?! That's exactly what I thought. No way am I hatching and feeding bbs Every. Day. Nope. I'm super hands off. But I needed seahorses and a mandarin like I need to breathe, especially after Felicia's and Zia's tanks. Conundrum, yes? Sooo. I designed and built that hatchery. 3 versions later: Easy peasy. Just dump cysts every night and clean once a week.

How are the new cuties doing? How's the brine hatchery working?

They're doing great! I'm so happy the hatchery seems to be putting out enough to keep them going! It's all new still. Feel like a momma anxious over every little thing. A few modifications to the tank this week: Slower pump, a screen over the return slots (I lost one to the filter sponge sadly), and programming the reefkeeper to turn the pumps on/off every 10 minutes. Oh and a few more gorgonians added for perches everywhere.

• Like 4

Thoughts for you and your grandmother.

Hehe! (please don't let me be the only one who loves this character.)

tumblr_inline_nlsb3leHkP1s1ujya_1280.jpg

:::Googles Moyer's dragonet.::: Oooooh!!! So striking! WAIT a MINUTE. I think I saw one at the LFS today. Yellow fins, red body? That's a great fish!! From my experience (of one mandarin) the hatchery seems to be the way to go to keep these guys fat. That and the amphipod population. I can make the version I currently have in my tank for you since it's been feeding my mandarin for a long time. 6-12 months. I lost track. Anyways, pretty sure it's ready for that.

Do you have a skimmer on your Nuvo8? I think the tank would have broken in smoother/handled the bbs nutrient better if it had one. The coil denitrator worked, but I didn't like having to change the prefilter floss all the time. So lazy. Prefer to depend on technology over labor.

Oh Punxsutawney and your very special brand of cray-cray... :D

Yup, the Moyer's dragonet (aka ruby red dragonet) has the red body and yellow fins. I've loved them ever since they were featured on Reef Builders when they first being imported.

I do have a skimmer on my Nuvo8 -- a Pico Skim. It doesn't produce a ton lately, but then there has been barely any bioload the past few months.

• Polarcollision changed the title to Polarcollision's Nuvo 24: FTV & new Apex