inTank Media Baskets

Polarcollision's Nuvo 24: March FTS

Polarcollision

Polarcollision

Par would be nice to know- with stock lights on the ends (weak) my AI Nano in the center is probably minimal at best- my heavy daily feedings probably really help the coral and keep than happy. 12 doses a day here too- really keeps thing stable- that dragon scale was under a 400w metal halide so my light is not making em happy for sure

I replied in PM

Anyone familiar with these guys? I'm really confused by everything written out there on the internetz about them...

Fireworm? Bristleworm?

Keep it?

How is it possible to be so familiar with the aquarium and never see this worm -- in over a year? It popped out of the watchman/pistol burrow when I fed tonight. Possibly 3-4" long. I'm so creeped out, especially by how aware it seems to be. Goosebumps and spine chills.

I want it gone, but if it's doing the tank good, I guess it can stay.

polychaeta_02_light-300x173.jpg

The page I pulled this picture from has ID of Eurythoe complanata but I can't find a consistent picture and ID anywhere

http://institutonazca.org/eurythoe-complanata/

Pom pom and McCoskers checking each other out. Great expressions...

uNqgct1.jpg

Pom pom prefers aptasia defenses :furious:

2RH5t2s.jpg

KNBQqll.jpg

Urchin spawning

Jj4pdYg.jpg

ppvz4EV.jpg

You take the best pictures! I love the Flasher :wub:

Which of the fauna marin supplements are you dosing?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Polar, your tank is even more beautiful than I remember! It leaves me speechless. I am a fan!

I am also a fan of your photography MAD SKILLZ!

• 2 months later...
Polarcollision

Woa - has it actually been 3 months? Where did the time go? I got out the tripod and cleaned the glass last night for taking update pictures. Of course the glass cleaner ran into 2 giant birdsnests, which knocked them off their rock. So instead of taking pictures, I spent the evening gluing colonies back to their rocks and generally upset every coral in the tank in the process. They're happy again this morning and even the back wall of GSP is perking back up after being trimmed off the overflows and away from montiporas. Anyways, tank has been growing well enough that I thought I'd better get pics before fragging everything way back. Pics tonight--hopefully!

Polar, your tank is even more beautiful than I remember! It leaves me speechless. I am a fan!

I am also a fan of your photography MAD SKILLZ!

Thank you! I appreciate the kind words. Glad to see you are back on NR, too! I missed seeing your tank updates.

Gorgeous tank and photography!!!!

Thank you! I just read through your thread with all the gorgeous paintings - very nice work yourself!

You take the best pictures! I love the Flasher :wub:

Which of the fauna marin supplements are you dosing?

Ah yes, the flasher is my fav fish too! Though he's getting some competition for my love ever since adding the leopard wrasse. If you don't mind all the tech details, I put all the fauna marin/dosing details here: http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/337141-polarcollisions-nuvo-24-mccoskers-and-pom-pom/?p=4902798

bristleworm

Thank you for the ID. In the last few months I'm seeing more and more of them. Plus they're getting big! Can't help but wonder if their little bristles cut into zoas as they move bast them. I've had a few zoas look like their base is shredded -- all of them near the rocks the giant bristleworms were seen in. Makes me wonder if it's time to make a trap.

The little 8 gallon intended for dwarf seahorses is doing well. It was started with dry rock. And apparently cycling/curing dry rock can take a reeeeeaaaaaaallly long time. The coil denitrator is still doing a fantastic job of controlling nutrients. The in-tank BBS hatchery works but could be better. There's a new design in the works - just need time to build it. Tt's hatching enough to keep a mandarin well fed and fat, but a different design will help the nauplii escape to the main tank easier. With the last water change, the 4-month outbreak of dinoflagellates suddenly came to an end. I'm guessing the bacterial balance/nutrient cycle has shifted against their favor as the tank matures. Macroalgae and GSP have been flourishing all along, so I moved a test gorgonian and clove polyps over. crossing fingers! If all goes well, I'll order the seahorses in 2 months.

I hope you all don't mind me sharing what I've been working on while away from NR. It took almost 3 months of work to complete and recently took first place at the Edmonds Art Festival. :-) Made my month!

Emergent Properties #2

28" x 40", oil on canvas

11205185_486169518200999_620471409340835

• Like 12

Emergent Properties #2

28" x 40", oil on canvas

Oh wow...that's incredible! Absolutely gorgeous! Where did you hang it? Congrats on the first place prize :).
  • Like 1
Polarcollision

Oh wow...that's incredible! Absolutely gorgeous! Where did you hang it? Congrats on the first place prize :).

Thank you! This one is extra special to me --oceans and such. :-) It was in my home until the show, and now it's with it's new owner somewhere in Edmonds! :-)

Polarcollision

Definitely get a pic. IMO/IME females do not change colors except for when transitioning to male. While most say it is quick, it is all dependant on a number of things including the fish itself. Tank size, other occupants etc all play a role tho typically it isn't as drawn out of a process as your experiencing. How big is she, what size tank, and what other occupants?

It's in this tank--24 gallons, fish is about 2.5-3", and her buddies are the male flasher, TSB, clown, and watchman. She/he was in bed when I took pics last night. Hopefully I'll be back early enough today to catch her!
  • Like 1

It's in this tank--24 gallons, fish is about 2.5-3", and her buddies are the male flasher, TSB, clown, and watchman. She/he was in bed when I took pics last night. Hopefully I'll be back early enough today to catch her!

IMO a 24g is a bit small for a leopard long term and at her current size would suggest considering an upgrade ;)

That said, with the list of fish she doesn't have a real "need" to transition (as they transition for several reasons, typically sexual or territorial) which is likely why it is taking her so long to do so. At even 3" she is not fully grown as a female (tho they can change at pretty much any size), so it wouldn't be like she was displaying some type of dominant/ "super" female coloration like a super male would..... not that they actually have a "super" female coloration. IME she is in more of a submale coloration from what you described and is just taking her sweet time transitioning since there is no real "need" for her to transition at all, and not all females will transition even if as a lone female. Hopefully you can get some shots of her tho I'd definitely like to see, leopards are my favorite fish ;)

• Like 1

Pom pom and McCoskers checking each other out. Great expressions...

uNqgct1.jpg

Wow, I love this photograph!! This is my new favorite on NR :)

Amazing photographer, reefkeeper AND painter?? It's just not fair for the rest of us :P

Congrats on 1st, you definitely deserve it!

• Like 1
Polarcollision

OMG, your oil painting is magical. Thank You for sharing it and congrats!!

:-) Thank you! Thanks for taking a look and I'm so happy it works for you!

IMO a 24g is a bit small for a leopard long term and at her current size would suggest considering an upgrade ;)

That said, with the list of fish she doesn't have a real "need" to transition (as they transition for several reasons, typically sexual or territorial) which is likely why it is taking her so long to do so. At even 3" she is not fully grown as a female (tho they can change at pretty much any size), so it wouldn't be like she was displaying some type of dominant/ "super" female coloration like a super male would..... not that they actually have a "super" female coloration. IME she is in more of a submale coloration from what you described and is just taking her sweet time transitioning since there is no real "need" for her to transition at all, and not all females will transition even if as a lone female. Hopefully you can get some shots of her tho I'd definitely like to see, leopards are my favorite fish ;)

I may be bad at guesstimating fish size... you can see int he pics below that she/he is about the same size as the TSB. She's got plenty of food to pick at and room to dart around so not worried about her yet. But no worries, by the time she grows to full size, we should have everything in place for a tank upgrade. ;-)

Wow, I love this photograph!! This is my new favorite on NR :)

Amazing photographer, reefkeeper AND painter?? It's just not fair for the rest of us :P

Congrats on 1st, you definitely deserve it!

They make a cute couple, don't they! So nice of them to pose! Awww. Now there's no shortage of skills to go around. :-) I happen to know from stalking your thread that you're a fantastic reefer and photographer yourself.

So much color in this tank. It's a painter's palate of it's own. Love the bright gsp in the back.

Thank you! It's my goal to turn this into a torch/SPS/GSP tank. LOL There's not enough love for GSP. OK, well even my GSP love fades when it tries to cover the returns... :-)

Awesome, just awesome.

:-) Thanks Mark.

Freaking crazy! Love the GSP background and caps! :)

:-) Would you believe those are actually setosa and spongeodes?! They're both almost 3 years of growth with me now. Love, love, love caps, but banned them for fear of shading everything out... so of course the spogeodes does just that. LOL

This tank is a breath of fresh air so nice.

Thank you Addinali! Happy to have you drop by!

great new shot. the colors are fantastic!

Thanks man! I can't belive it's been so long since updating. I forgot to dose Mg for a few weeks around the same time a dosing pump for Calcium failed so some of the acros are regaining their former glory color-wise, but overall very happy with the amount of neglect the tank can take. :-)

Absolutely love your tank, and the green star polyp wall looks amazing!

Thank you jstuver! Happy to have you drop by.

Love your tank and you take really impressive photos as well :) I'm following!

:-) Hi nidding! Welcome aboard-- and thank you!

And, for Chris and Zia, here's a few pics of the leopard wrasse. Boy? Girl? Naked squirrel? BTW, it's not actually that teal in real life. Something is up with camera shutter lag lately...

lTQa9G8.jpg

jMWXsn1.jpg

8ADz4rF.jpg

sometimes the shutter and LED flickering synch into a blue/yellow band of color, but this was the only shot in focus of the two together, so... black and white monday!

Eaauaap.jpg

• Like 9
  • Polarcollision changed the title to Polarcollision's Nuvo 24: FTV & new Apex