Pod Your Reef

Polarcollision's Nuvo 24: March FTS

Polarcollision

Or the tank period. I would banish that cat ... Even if I wasn't allergic

Polarcollision

Glad to hear you got the BBS hatchery working so well. So you're setting the tank up for dwarf seahorses?

OMG that cat! I love it! I love how she's all wedged under the light. I hope she doesn't break the lid!

About 80% decided on dwarf seahorses. I really want a gorgonian/softies tank with pipefish and/or seahorses. The big BUT: Long vacations. The extra work/stress. If all the automation works (fish feeder for cysts each day, denitrator, ATO, etc) to where I can abandon it for a week or two without causing them to suffer, then it's a go.

Yeah, I should add more lid clips. Worried about the lights too. Ugh. Maybe I'll just coat the lid with that clear double sided tape. He hates that stuff. There has to be cat toys that don't bore them to death after a few days...

Awww, there's nothing quite like a cat curled up purring on your lap. It's why I put up with him. :-)

• Like 4

About 80% decided on dwarf seahorses. I really want a gorgonian/softies tank with pipefish and/or seahorses. The big BUT: Long vacations. The extra work/stress. If all the automation works (fish feeder for cysts each day, denitrator, ATO, etc) to where I can abandon it for a week or two without causing them to suffer, then it's a go.

Yeah, I should add more lid clips. Worried about the lights too. Ugh. Maybe I'll just coat the lid with that clear double sided tape. He hates that stuff. There has to be cat toys that don't bore them to death after a few days...

Awww, there's nothing quite like a cat curled up purring on your lap. It's why I put up with him. :-)

Very impressive with the diy in tank bb shrimp hatchery and denitrator. Long vacations kept me from getting even the greater seahorses for quite a while also. I think I have a plan but haven't had a chance to use it yet since any vacation with the baby seahorses is out of the question.

• Like 1
Polarcollision

Very impressive with the diy in tank bb shrimp hatchery and denitrator. Long vacations kept me from getting even the greater seahorses for quite a while also. I think I have a plan but haven't had a chance to use it yet since any vacation with the baby seahorses is out of the question.

I was thinking that a fish feeder could add cysts to the hatchery, and then the reefkeeper could pause the pumps for 15 minutes several times a day so the slower fish can snarf up nauplii that escape the diner. Mostly thinking of the mandarin fish on that one. I think my mandarin fish is 'special'. Live food will sit on its head and it won't snarf it up, even when it's actively hunting.

• Like 2

I was thinking that a fish feeder could add cysts to the hatchery, and then the reefkeeper could pause the pumps for 15 minutes several times a day so the slower fish can snarf up nauplii that escape the diner. Mostly thinking of the mandarin fish on that one. I think my mandarin fish is 'special'. Live food will sit on its head and it won't snarf it up, even when it's actively hunting.

I wondered how you were going to load the bb hatchery? That's pretty clever, but wow, everything has to work like clockwork or you are hosed! Too many cysts, or no cysts at all would make me nervous. I guess if you put it to the test and it passes for a week you can feel reasonably confident that it should work. If I had dwarf seahorses, I think I'd take them to the lfs that I worked at for 12 years and board them there, (tank and all). Since I worked there I trust them and that is key.

• Like 1
Polarcollision

I wondered how you were going to load the bb hatchery? That's pretty clever, but wow, everything has to work like clockwork or you are hosed! Too many cysts, or no cysts at all would make me nervous. I guess if you put it to the test and it passes for a week you can feel reasonably confident that it should work. If I had dwarf seahorses, I think I'd take them to the lfs that I worked at for 12 years and board them there, (tank and all). Since I worked there I trust them and that is key.

That's the beauty of the denitrator - since it's biologically based, it can adjust itself to compensate for over feeding without me having to get involved. :-) By any chance have you installed a reef keeper or apex? It's amazing how much simpler life becomes with these things! I get to enjoy the tanks instead of fretting over them. :-)

• Like 2

No, but I would love to. Maybe that will be my next big investment. I am so old school that it is taking me a while to catch up to all the new equipment available to aquarists. When you learned one way 20 years ago and then you are older and intimidated somewhat by new technology, it's hard to keep up. LOL I am not quite as outdated as the old lady on the e-insurance commercial with the photos taped to her wall though!

• Like 2
Polarcollision

No, but I would love to. Maybe that will be my next big investment. I am so old school that it is taking me a while to catch up to all the new equipment available to aquarists. When you learned one way 20 years ago and then you are older and intimidated somewhat by new technology, it's hard to keep up. LOL I am not quite as outdated as the old lady on the e-insurance commercial with the photos taped to her wall though!

Ha! I know the feels, for me it's javascript. I know learning it will make my day job easier, but I'd rather just tape photos to the wall.

You're doing a great job with your techniques. If you do take the plunge, I can recommend ReefKeeper. Partly because it was much less expensive and partly because they're a 20 minute drive away. 'Everyone' says Apex is better, but I haven't needed any function the RK can't provide and I have more cash in my pocket for coral and vacation.

In tank news, the pom pom crab lost it's anemones in the last molt. Now it is carrying around aptasia. :blink: First, where did it find aptasia??? Maybe hidden in a back-side rock? And second, does this mean it's going to spread aptasia everywhere as it makes it's nightly rounds? oh lordy, lordy. anyone know how to catch a pom pom crab?

• Like 1
Polarcollision

How did the tang do in the tank?

It was fine when it was tiny and it did a good job of controlling algae, but once it reached 2.5" it started acting like it wanted more room to swim. It's in a local reefer's larger tank now.

• Like 1

It was fine when it was tiny and it did a good job of controlling algae, but once it reached 2.5" it started acting like it wanted more room to swim. It's in a local reefer's larger tank now.

How long were u able to keep her?

Ha! I know the feels, for me it's javascript. I know learning it will make my day job easier, but I'd rather just tape photos to the wall.

You're doing a great job with your techniques. If you do take the plunge, I can recommend ReefKeeper. Partly because it was much less expensive and partly because they're a 20 minute drive away. 'Everyone' says Apex is better, but I haven't needed any function the RK can't provide and I have more cash in my pocket for coral and vacation.

In tank news, the pom pom crab lost it's anemones in the last molt. Now it is carrying around aptasia. :blink: First, where did it find aptasia??? Maybe hidden in a back-side rock? And second, does this mean it's going to spread aptasia everywhere as it makes it's nightly rounds? oh lordy, lordy. anyone know how to catch a pom pom crab?

Thanks, I will keep that in mind when I am ready for a controller. I am sure that your pom pom crab must have snuck out at night and got that aiptasia from another reefer's tank!......I am sorry but I laughed so hard when I read that...maybe you should thank the crab for discovering it. Of course, like you said, you have to catch the crab and then convince it to give up his aiptasia.

Polarcollision

Thanks, I will keep that in mind when I am ready for a controller. I am sure that your pom pom crab must have snuck out at night and got that aiptasia from another reefer's tank!......I am sorry but I laughed so hard when I read that...maybe you should thank the crab for discovering it. Of course, like you said, you have to catch the crab and then convince it to give up his aiptasia.

THAT's exactly what happened! ;-)

• Like 1

Sounds like a great plan! I love that you're setting up all this automation. That was really one of the reasons I decided to take down my seahorse tank. Just leaving town for the weekend was too stressful! I hope all your automation works out so you can do the dwarf seahorses.

Cats are just too adorable to ever stay mad at :)

The pom pom crab incident made me laugh so hard. :lol:

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
Polarcollision

I'm more of a dog person. :D but I like all animals really xD

I'm with you there. Nothing in this world as fantastic as a dog. Not even a reef tank. :-)

Sounds like a great plan! I love that you're setting up all this automation. That was really one of the reasons I decided to take down my seahorse tank. Just leaving town for the weekend was too stressful! I hope all your automation works out so you can do the dwarf seahorses.

Cats are just too adorable to ever stay mad at :)

The pom pom crab incident made me laugh so hard. :lol:

Exactly. This needs to be fun and relaxing, no stress! The pom pom crab is down to one aptasia now. Yay! But there's 4 new ones in the tank taunting me. LOL

It's been 4 weeks since installing the coil denitrator and BBS hatchery. Here's how it went.

Hatching BBS daily - just dump cysts into hatchery. Easy-peasy.

Nothing noticeable for 2 weeks.

End of week 2 I installed a PAR 38 bulb

On week 3 there was a massive dino outbreak everywhere cat hair was caught in a macroalgae.

Did my first water change in 4 weeks to suck out the dinos and rinsed the macroalgae in fresh water.

End of week 4, dinos are still gone. Water is cloudy, presumably from a bacterial bloom. This happened the first time this tank was set up and should pass in a week or so.

Tested nitrates and phosphates tonight

and....

TA DA! Proof of concept.

CV3Ty1L.jpg

1JPcMQZ.jpg

• Like 1
Polarcollision

This is great so far. I love the denitrification coil chamber, that is extremely interesting.

So far so good! We'll see what the next few months bring and how this bacterial bloom plays out. Water flow has been running unrestricted through the coils. As/if nitrates creep up, you throttle back flow and add sulphur beads to the anaerobic chamber, then crushed coral to a little post-filter to neutralize any sulphur acids before returning to tank.

Here's the build plans I've modified: http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/diydenitratorplans/ss/sbscoildenitrat.htm

• Like 1
Polarcollision

Geez Louise, your pics are incredible. Free coral food!!!

:blush: No kidding! The water was cloudy for a while. This was a first for me so of course I went nuts and took over 100 pics of them doing their thing.

That clown pic made me laugh. Those pics are really cool!

I think that's the look I'd have if I walked in on someone getting it on too.

• Like 1
  • Polarcollision changed the title to Polarcollision's Nuvo 24: FTV & new Apex