Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Polarcollision's Nuvo 24: March FTS

Polarcollision

Polarcollision

hopefully the mandarin doesn't eat the baby ponies. I'm sure mine would. Beautiful little set up.

She could I suppose. Before setting up this biome I spent about a year researching everything that could live peacefully with the dwarfs. I feel pretty good about the baby's safety since the mandarin's natural diet is crustaceans, rather than seahorses. Plus, with her fat belly, hunger isn't making her desperate to try anything more adventurous than her bbs and amphipod tasty treats. Couldn't even tempt her with mysis.

I love seeing the mandarin in with them as it gives perspective to show how little they are. Great video!

I loved that scene! Had to put it first. She's about half the size of the typical mandarin that you typically see If that helps picture their size better, too.

I forgot, how many ponies? They're so petite. I like how they're spots mimic the white on the gorg they're on.

I'm not sure if there's 12 or 13. They hide and move around too much to be 100% sure of the count... I'm pushing the limits of dwarf seahorse tank environment so I'm ultra intense about my morning and evening roll call. It's incredible how much they change their coloring from daytime to night. or from gorgonian to macro algae perches.

The largest male is sidling up to other ponies, interlocking tails and twitching. All night his belly has been changing shapes. Don't think he's pregnant, but maybe this is seahorse flirting?

• Like 5

The largest male is sidling up to other ponies, interlocking tails and twitching. All night his belly has been changing shapes. Don't think he's pregnant, but maybe this is seahorse flirting?

Yes, that is exactly what it is. That is how Adam flirts with Eve also. Sometimes he will pull his head down against his chest when he sidles up to her.
  • Like 1

I love the new video! I like how the seahorses are in little clusters :) So cute! They're definitely just like little miniatures of the full blown seahorses. They look just the same in how they're hitched and snicking food until you look at the coral and realize the scale.

• 3 weeks later...
Polarcollision

So pretty w/ the leathers as backdrop.

Falling back in love with soft corals. The sinularia is definitely my favorite, especially seeing how the DSH latch on to it. Even 'junk' softies like pulsing xenia and gsp can be beautiful textures.

• Like 1

Falling back in love with soft corals. The sinularia is definitely my favorite, especially seeing how the DSH latch on to it. Even 'junk' softies like pulsing xenia and gsp can be beautiful textures.

That is so true. There is nothing really exotic in my tank but most coral that is healthy and well place in the right setting can be attractive!

Polarcollision

That is so true. There is nothing really exotic in my tank but most coral that is healthy and well place in the right setting can be attractive!

Your yellow polyps are to die for.

• Like 1

Your yellow polyps are to die for.

Correction: my yellow polyps are to die :-( . I am not sure what happened but they just slowly waned until now there is really nothing to salvage. I think if i could have fed them reef roids and reef chili and such perhaps i could have saved them. Eve, my female seahorse just finished fighting a bacterial infection and i was afraid to put more nutrients in the water could fuel potential for more infections. So what to do...try and save Eve, or the yellow polyps?
Polarcollision

omgomgomg when are the babies due ?

Gestation is 2 weeks. Not sure when he was knocked up, but my guess is late next week sometime!!

Correction: my yellow polyps are to die :-( . I am not sure what happened but they just slowly waned until now there is really nothing to salvage. I think if i could have fed them reef roids and reef chili and such perhaps i could have saved them. Eve, my female seahorse just finished fighting a bacterial infection and i was afraid to put more nutrients in the water could fuel potential for more infections. So what to do...try and save Eve, or the yellow polyps?

Happen to have Lugols? I put a drop in my other mixed reef tank every week. It is iodine (I2) and potassium iodide. Zoas always looks so much more colorful and full when dosing, plus iodine helps with infections. Are the yellow polyps technically palys? I think I've seen my nuclear greens eat mysis but nonoe of the other zoas or palys in my tank eat solid foods. Also, contrary to what I read as a new reefer, zoas and palys tend to like low nutrient water. It's the strong lighting that helps them thrive. Just throwing out my experience in case it's helpful in saving them. sorry about all the typos, I just really don't feel like fixing them tonight! LOL

Oh! wait. Wait. I just remembered something else I did to save a zoa that shrank down to one unhappy camper. Hydrogen peroxide dip if it can still be removed from the tank. I dunked it in stright 3% H2O2 for (I think 2-3 minutes--check on that time frame before you do it though). The zoas were pretty mad for a day and then opened right up and thrived. Assumed an infection was cured.

Eve, that's my middle name. I pick Eve.

I pick Eve too. Though hopefully Lugols can save them both.

• Like 3

Gestation is 2 weeks. Not sure when he was knocked up, but my guess is late next week sometime!!

Happen to have Lugols? I put a drop in my other mixed reef tank every week. It is iodine (I2) and potassium iodide. Zoas always looks so much more colorful and full when dosing, plus iodine helps with infections. Are the yellow polyps technically palys? I think I've seen my nuclear greens eat mysis but nonoe of the other zoas or palys in my tank eat solid foods. Also, contrary to what I read as a new reefer, zoas and palys tend to like low nutrient water. It's the strong lighting that helps them thrive. Just throwing out my experience in case it's helpful in saving them. sorry about all the typos, I just really don't feel like fixing them tonight! LOL

Oh! wait. Wait. I just remembered something else I did to save a zoa that shrank down to one unhappy camper. Hydrogen peroxide dip if it can still be removed from the tank. I dunked it in stright 3% H2O2 for (I think 2-3 minutes--check on that time frame before you do it though). The zoas were pretty mad for a day and then opened right up and thrived. Assumed an infection was cured.

Thanks Polar, i will try those, i have them both.

Not yet. I noticed one male shaking near the yellow pony and his belly seems to be bigger, but it might be just food. How quickly do they look hugely pregnant?

Sorry, just catching up on this! Seems like you've already got your answer about the pregnant horses. I've had some males look pregnant but then haven't been seeing the babies, so I'm not sure what's happening. I saw one the other day though and then couldn't find it again. Even in 1.2 gallons they are hard to find! Just recently switched mine to a betta bowl with my macro algae and an airstone. WAY different from what you have set up, so it's fun to see how yours are progressing :) your tank looks great ??

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Polarcollision

Video update on the Nuvo 24. Still chugging along. I love these iPhone gels that cut some of the blue light. They let you see the tank more like I do in the evenings.

• Like 5
  • Polarcollision changed the title to Polarcollision's Nuvo 24: FTV & new Apex