Top Shelf Aquatics

Polarcollision's Nuvo 24: March FTS

Polarcollision

Polar I am happy to hear of this tank's revamped scape, minus the aiptasia! Hopefully the acros and montis will color back up when everything settles. I look forward to seeing how this tank morphs.

I have been wondering how the dwarf seahorse tank is doing? I would love to hear an update???

• Like 1
Polarcollision

Polar I am happy to hear of this tank's revamped scape, minus the aiptasia! Hopefully the acros and montis will color back up when everything settles. I look forward to seeing how this tank morphs.

I have been wondering how the dwarf seahorse tank is doing? I would love to hear an update???

Might know what is up with the acropora now. I noticed little oval white patches on the banana lokani. Probably AEFW. The good news is that I read they need to eat at least once a week and the eggs hatch after 21 days. So. If I dip 2x/week for the next 5 weeks, it should wipe them out. Tge other good news is that all the sps has been fragged off the aptasia rocks so it's only a continuation of WW 3.

Unfortunately we had an early season heat wave with temps above 90. Seattle homes do not have AC and I wasn't able to keep their tank cool enough. Thought about ordering another set, but then I read about the harvesting practices of some outfits. It seems their grass beds are torn up in the process. I didn't feel comfortable contributing to their habitat destruction, so no more ponies for me--at lease until it's clear which outfits are sustainable.

Sounds like a lot of work :). At first I thought wrasse-hole leopard wrasse was a new type of wrasse I never heard of before :lol:. Too funny! Congrats on the overhaul!

I wish it was a new type of wrasse so that I could get the peaceful leopard instead. This guy was beautiful and ruthless. He needs a semi-aggressive home. There's too much hand holding and singing in my tank. :-)

2 more weeks and the right-hand side gets replaced.

• Like 3

Might know what is up with the acropora now. I noticed little oval white patches on the banana lokani. Probably AEFW. The good news is that I read they need to eat at least once a week and the eggs hatch after 21 days. So. If I dip 2x/week for the next 5 weeks, it should wipe them out. Tge other good news is that all the sps has been fragged off the aptasia rocks so it's only a continuation of WW 3.

Unfortunately we had an early season heat wave with temps above 90. Seattle homes do not have AC and I wasn't able to keep their tank cool enough. Thought about ordering another set, but then I read about the harvesting practices of some outfits. It seems their grass beds are torn up in the process. I didn't feel comfortable contributing to their habitat destruction, so no more ponies for me--at lease until it's clear which outfits are sustainable.

I wish it was a new type of wrasse so that I could get the peaceful leopard instead. This guy was beautiful and ruthless. He needs a semi-aggressive home. There's too much hand holding and singing in my tank. :-)

2 more weeks and the right-hand side gets replaced.

Thanks Polar. I did not know that about wild caught dwarf seahorses. If I get into DSH someday it will be captive bred ponies from Seahorse Source. That is more feasible for me however living in the east since Seahorse Source is in FL.
  • Like 2
Polarcollision

Killed 4 more baby aptasia and dipped the SPS in RPS All Out. Some claim it kills AEFW and the eggs. This is my main pest dip, so we'll see how the coral recover.

Picked up a Lubbock's Fairy Wrasse this week. Can't get a good pic yet, so here's one from the web

p-75670-Multicolor-Lubbock.jpg

Considering these guys, too:

p-84294-red-saddled-anthias.jpgRed Saddled Anthias

1_medium.jpg

76.jpg Citron clown goby - possibly eats AEFW

04c4202bc772272d25f63467750c3e3b.jpg Green banded goby

eviota-pamae-sunrise-dwarfgoby.jpg Eviota Pamae, sunrise dwarf goby

trimma-tevegae.jpg trimma-tevegae

fat1.jpg

ffd52ab8.jpg

Cirrhilabruscyanopleura.jpg Cirrhilabrus lyukyuensis

Clown_Fairy_Wrasse_ps.jpg Clown fairy wrasse

a9268e46e45da3cd1c5b835839b355cf.jpg Solon Fairy

post-664-0-45374800-1435327054_thumb.jpg Katoi fairy

3336582.jpg Pink margin Fairy

t.-tauroculum-M.-kasai.jpg trimma tauroculum

Tryssogobius-colini.jpg Tryssogobius-colini

53386_250wh.jpgLiopropoma Reef Basslets

1185202.jpgHelfritch firefish

ecsenius_gravieri.jpgRed Sea mimic blenny, Ecsenius gravieri

bodianus_bimaculatus.jpg two spot hogfish, Bodianus bimaculatus

• Like 5
Polarcollision

I love the yellows in your choices. Just not enough bright yellow in this hobby!!

Right? There's a pink lined yellow hogfish that's gorgeous too!

The reef tonight. So sad. But it will come back even better. Should I take down the GSP wall?

vDTyPbq.jpg

• Like 3

Yes, I have no doubt that it will be more beautiful than ever. I like the GSP wall and I am not getting to enjoy the movement it provides since I am looking at a still shot. It must be amazing in person.

So many fish, so little space and money! LOL

I think you should get all the fish, they are all great choices :)

Hope the corals perk up soon - and keep the GSP wall because it's beautiful. But I understand if you just feel like you need to make a change!

Polarcollision

Yes, I have no doubt that it will be more beautiful than ever. I like the GSP wall and I am not getting to enjoy the movement it provides since I am looking at a still shot. It must be amazing in person.

So many fish, so little space and money! LOL

It does have a lot of movement. And it adds color while the SPS slowly grow. I keep thinking about putting montipora and zoas on the back wall though... If it comes down, I'll put it on an isolated rock. The green color is brighter than most GSP I've seen. Would hate to lose it forever.

Yeah, tons of fish to try. My tank's oxygen exchange can handle 8 4" fish so I thought I'd get a few 4" and fill in with tiny fish so it has that anthias schooling look.

It always looks sad when big changes are made but then the corals stop being pissed off and settle in again. It's been just a day or so, I have no doubt it will be lush and beautiful soon.

Ya, give it a month or two and it will be back. :-)

I love the gsp wall, it flows so nicely.

One more vote for GSP. :-)

Love the GSP!!

The votes for keeping it are stacking up. Lol

I think you should get all the fish, they are all great choices :)

Hope the corals perk up soon - and keep the GSP wall because it's beautiful. But I understand if you just feel like you need to make a change!

Ok, all the fish, it is! Ha! It would be pretty epic, that's for sure. I had no idea people were so in favor of keeping the GSP wall. Maybe I can keep up with transitioning it slowly to zoas and montis so the tank doesn't look too barren.

• Like 2
Polarcollision

+1 on keeping the GSP wall,but something like a Veng's cyphastrea covered back wall would l rock too.

What encrusting montipora would you keep?

I have a thread--buried by now--of every encrusting montipora that I could find. There are so many color varieties! It would be interesting to just let them grow into one another to see what happens. Maybe it's a big battle, maybe new color variations form. And since montis grow slowly, a combined zoa garden could be sweet.

:wub: What an angelic looking fish! If you find one, let me know. Sounds like they are difficult to get.

I figure they'll show up on divers den. A local LFS owner is thinking about moving to the pacific to work on the importing side of things so that's an option too.

• Like 1
Polarcollision

A little update of coral recovery. Zoas are getting covered in a small diatom outbreak from the new rocks. A little mad but should come back. Acros are getting their colors back.

No sign of bite marks on the banana lokani 4 days after a dip in RPS All Out. It's even getting a sheen of yellow again. Very happy about this, especially since it's one of my two favorites. Tentatively - it is AEFW after all. Sorry about the potato camera.

GFTCX5Y.jpg

The bright teal sheen on the tips of the oregon tort is color coming back. This one turned pale blueish brown. Super relieved it's going to pull through. The frag size was no bigger than my pinky nail - that's a lot of growth considering how slowly it grows.

lueUnvi.jpg

Bright yellow unknown acro is only slightly green ATM

2FnQQWY.jpg

Dipped this unknown (tricolor valida?) for AEFW also. It lost all it's color and is slowly coming back.

JkIuL2H.jpg

Joe the Coral is mostly indestructible

WRT6QtL.jpg

Green slimer frag, Sunset mille, and zoas. Slimer is no longer dark forest green, and the mille is turning orange and green from a dark chocolate brown. Zoas have diatoms and are smaller, but they were open before all blues tonight.

eCaAN6m.jpg

More mad zoas waiting for confirmation that all the baby aptasia are killed before getting glued to a rock.

6IroMhn.jpg

Bubblegum monster chalice even got mad and lost some of it's green glow. It's recovering a bit also. The teal birdsnest never batted an eye and is going strong as always.

OOYbP7v.jpg

In a week or two I'll tear up the other half of the aquarium and finish killing off the small aptasia that are left.

• Like 4

So sorry to hear about the troubles, but it looks like everything is starting to recover. I'm sure you'll get it back to looking stunning in no time! Oh and I love your fish selections! All really beautiful options!

• Like 2
Polarcollision

So sorry to hear about the troubles, but it looks like everything is starting to recover. I'm sure you'll get it back to looking stunning in no time! Oh and I love your fish selections! All really beautiful options!

Thanks! Now the question is how many can be found?! I'm hopeful the aptasia can be permanently killed off. This time I'll be able to remove rocks to get at them until they are gone for good. Same for AEFW. I saw lots of good reports about RPS All Out killing the eggs. It definitely got rid of the adults.

I saw a dwarf lion fish at the LFS and thought about it for 1 second. :-)

• Like 1

Thanks! Now the question is how many can be found?! I'm hopeful the aptasia can be permanently killed off. This time I'll be able to remove rocks to get at them until they are gone for good. Same for AEFW. I saw lots of good reports about RPS All Out killing the eggs. It definitely got rid of the adults.

I saw a dwarf lion fish at the LFS and thought about it for 1 second. :-)

Tracking down the fish you want when they aren't super common is always the hard part. Good luck!

I'd say you should totally get the dwarf lion, but it would eat a lot of those fish you want :)

• Like 1
Polarcollision

Thought I'd do a little update on the rescape/aptasia annihilation. First, I'm completely taken by this behavior between the Lubock's fairy wrasse and the new Helfrich's firefish. the firefish came with what looks like ich. At first, the wrasse was just not going to share his tank. But suddenly it's tail chasing turned into dive-by's of the firefish's flank. The firefish hasn't been swimming away either. It really looks like the wrasse is cleaning ich off the firefish. Is his even possible? I thought ich was under the skin. Here's a video - let me know what you think! I'm curious if you all interpret the same way.

You know that feeling when you finally net a fish without breaking any coral?? Yep. I have that. PJ Cardinal has been with me since the beginning of this tank and is starting a new life with mystersyster. I suspect it was eating my smaller fish and was probably getting a little big for 24 gallons.

To keep the Helfrich's company, I picked up an exquisite purple firefish in trade for the aggressive leopard wrasse. It immediately hid in the rocks and I can't see it. Hope it shows up tomorrow.

From owenj I got the cutest pair of green banded gobies and the start of a yuma/ric garden! Everything is just tossed on the sand for now, can't wait to tear out the other side of the aquarium so I can start gluing things in place!

And last, but not least, here's another little potato-phone gallery of the coral color recovery. It's happening fast this time around, which makes me suspect my salinity has been high for quite a while.

Even more color on the banana lokani. It was a brown turd for a while.

2P6jRKM.jpg

Oregon tort changed from pale blue/purple back to teal. Tips are deep blue again. It's almost back to pre-brownout colors.

IeN037A.jpg

Bubblegum monster has color everywhere - no more brown patches. It's not as bright as it was, but looking better each day.

wwyzVe8.jpg

More acro recovery

XxiOm0Y.jpg

ogJhHdX.jpg

H81Jwab.jpg

ULMrA94.jpg

6nb0TiL.jpg

The temporary zoa garden

6NmGpgD.jpg

ZRymWUF.jpg

Last but not least, the new rics and yuma. Yuma is gorgeous!!! Thank you owenj!! I love the oranges and greens.

Pn9e4RV.jpg

• Like 3
mystersyster

Thought I'd do a little update on the rescape/aptasia annihilation. First, I'm completely taken by this behavior between the Lubock's fairy wrasse and the new Helfrich's firefish. the firefish came with what looks like ich. At first, the wrasse was just not going to share his tank. But suddenly it's tail chasing turned into dive-by's of the firefish's flank. The firefish hasn't been swimming away either. It really looks like the wrasse is cleaning ich off the firefish. Is his even possible? I thought ich was under the skin. Here's a video - let me know what you think! I'm curious if you all interpret the same way.

You know that feeling when you finally net a fish without breaking any coral?? Yep. I have that. PJ Cardinal has been with me since the beginning of this tank and is starting a new life with mystersyster. I suspect it was eating my smaller fish and was probably getting a little big for 24 gallons.

To keep the Helfrich's company, I picked up an exquisite purple firefish in trade for the aggressive leopard wrasse. It immediately hid in the rocks and I can't see it. Hope it shows up tomorrow.

From owenj I got the cutest pair of green banded gobies and the start of a yuma/ric garden! Everything is just tossed on the sand for now, can't wait to tear out the other side of the aquarium so I can start gluing things in place!

And last, but not least, here's another little potato-phone gallery of the coral color recovery. It's happening fast this time around, which makes me suspect my salinity has been high for quite a while.

Even more color on the banana lokani. It was a brown turd for a while.

2P6jRKM.jpg

Oregon tort changed from pale blue/purple back to teal. Tips are deep blue again. It's almost back to pre-brownout colors.

IeN037A.jpg

Bubblegum monster has color everywhere - no more brown patches. It's not as bright as it was, but looking better each day.

wwyzVe8.jpg

More acro recovery

XxiOm0Y.jpg

ogJhHdX.jpg

H81Jwab.jpg

ULMrA94.jpg

6nb0TiL.jpg

The temporary zoa garden

6NmGpgD.jpg

ZRymWUF.jpg

Last but not least, the new rics and yuma. Yuma is gorgeous!!! Thank you owenj!! I love the oranges and greens.

Pn9e4RV.jpg

Things look pretty sweet. I think the wrasse and firefish might become best friends ;). I believe the ich cysti is under the mucus coat as well. When we were talking I saw a fish scratch on the sand. Seems like it is hard to get wild caught fish without ich.

The PJ seems to be doing OK, although acclimating to his new home. He found a cave/underhang he likes, and has been chillin there. He didn't go after any pellets when I fed the others, so I'll give him some time. He's the biggest in the tank now!

My female royal gramma was a little intimidated and confused lol.

20161003_172906_zpsx37lo1dg.jpg

20161003_175741_zpsbi07xvsu.jpg

• Like 1
  • Polarcollision changed the title to Polarcollision's Nuvo 24: FTV & new Apex