ReefCleaners.org

Polarcollision's Nuvo 24: March FTS

Polarcollision

Stunning, PC! Just stunning! I'm drooling right now. Look at all that color and wonderful growth!

Also, yes...I've moved to the Seattle area. Maybe I can pick your brain about where to go for frags and supplies! I've been to 3 stores so far (one in Renton and 2 in Bellevue). I am also slowly realizing that there isn't a local reefing club. Sadness.

• Like 1
Polarcollision
14 hours ago, Polarcollision said:
03.11.17 Full Tank Shot

nTwaUzC.jpg

I think most corals are placed now. The left side is still a work in progress since they're just itty bitty frags. only 3 aptasia known to be in the tank. Peppermint shrimp were the way to go.And the emerald crabs took care of all but a handful of bubble algae. I'm pretty happy with the tank right now. Corals are looking better and better and the fish all get along. It's hard to see in this pic, but the right side of the tank is mostly small bridges with lots of caves and arches for the fish to swim through. It's incredible how much more active they are with this one change.

I've discovered favias. So many gorgeous choices! A few years ago it seemed like there was only red and green options, but now... I want them all. So! I will have them all. And they're going to live on the back wall where the GSP used to live.

3xUakVg.jpg

KeeqtRy.jpg

ofItGih.jpg

Moving pics to next page

14 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

Love this, just amazing. 

Thanks Weetie! Nice to see you around NR. How's the macroalgae these days?

14 hours ago, Rain24 said:

Stunning, PC! Just stunning! I'm drooling right now. Look at all that color and wonderful growth!

Also, yes...I've moved to the Seattle area. Maybe I can pick your brain about where to go for frags and supplies! I've been to 3 stores so far (one in Renton and 2 in Bellevue). I am also slowly realizing that there isn't a local reefing club. Sadness.

We'll have to trade frags then! There's a community, but it's mostly on FB. Look for Pacific Northwest Reefing, North Sound Reefers, and Western Washington Reef and Salt. There's the south end faction and a north end faction. Don't really know what happened... Maybe we can start the Seattle area Nano-reef club on FB? Did you make it out to the Bob Moore frag swap a few weeks ago? There's Barrier Reef, Saltwater City, Denny's Pet world, RedC, Sierra Fish and Pets, Little Amazon, The Fish Store, and one other I rarely get down to... Oh yeah, Oceans By Design. Each one has their good and bad points. I've been finding good stuff on craigslist too.

• Like 3

Wow. I love how filled-in this tank is with all the growth, particularly with your SPS colonies.

Is that two Hydra 52 over this 24 gallon? B)

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Polarcollision said:

We'll have to trade frags then! There's a community, but it's mostly on FB. Look for Pacific Northwest Reefing, North Sound Reefers, and Western Washington Reef and Salt. There's the south end faction and a north end faction. Don't really know what happened... Maybe we can start the Seattle area Nano-reef club on FB? Did you make it out to the Bob Moore frag swap a few weeks ago? There's Barrier Reef, Saltwater City, Denny's Pet world, RedC, Sierra Fish and Pets, Little Amazon, The Fish Store, and one other I rarely get down to... Oh yeah, Oceans By Design. Each one has their good and bad points. I've been finding good stuff on craigslist too.

Thanks! I'll look those up. If I ever have frags again, then I'm up for trades!

You know, I didn't make it back to Nano-Reef until AFTER the Bob Moore Frag Swap? Just my luck. And they're not sure if it's coming back next year.

Oh, I did see there was someone on Craigslist selling frags out of Shoreline.

• Like 1
Polarcollision
Just now, J-Ranko said:

Wow. I love how filled-in this tank is with all the growth.

Is that two Hydra 52 over this 24 gallon? B)

Yup - couldn't figure out how to light a long, skinny tank. So my bank account cried a little. They're the original Hydras though. Awesome that you consider this filled in. That makes me feel better. I tore it apart killing aptasia and miss all the coral I ripped out. This one will be better though. :-)

Polarcollision
Just now, Rain24 said:

Thanks! I'll look those up. If I ever have frags again, then I'm up for trades!

You know, I didn't make it back to Nano-Reef until AFTER the Bob Moore Frag Swap? Just my luck. And they're not sure if it's coming back next year.

Oh, I did see there was someone on Craigslist selling frags out of Shoreline.

Yeah it's too bad because I really enjoyed the swap and let the organizers know. I imagine that's also why there's no club in the area. Too much grief, too many opinions, not enough appreciation. Gah. The Shoreline guy is my source for most all my designer frags. They're dirt cheap, but literally about the size of a pencil eraser. Perfect for your new vase, don't ya think?

3 minutes ago, Polarcollision said:

Yeah it's too bad because I really enjoyed the swap and let the organizers know. I imagine that's also why there's no club in the area. Too much grief, too many opinions, not enough appreciation. Gah. The Shoreline guy is my source for most all my designer frags. They're dirt cheap, but literally about the size of a pencil eraser. Perfect for your new vase, don't ya think?

Maybe we just need to do a Nano Reef Girl's Coffee Meet and Greet or something. LOL.

Good to know the Shoreline guy is legit! I was wondering. His frag pics looked nice. But then again, a lot of them do. LOL. Oh yeah, tiny is good for me! :D Maybe I'll pay him a visit and drag the husband along.

It's so nice to know that at least one N-R memeber is in the area!

• Like 2

So beautiful! I love the idea of a favia wall - do you think the other corals will be safe when they start developing sweepers?

I have a couple favia and I haven't decided where to put them yet. Maybe the back wall will work for me too :D

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Polarcollision said:

Yup - couldn't figure out how to light a long, skinny tank. So my bank account cried a little. They're the original Hydras though. Awesome that you consider this filled in. That makes me feel better. I tore it apart killing aptasia and miss all the coral I ripped out. This one will be better though. :-)

Anyone who's got an Oregon tort larger than a 1/2 inch stub can legitimately call their tank filled-in. :lol:  More seriously, what % intensity do you run them at?  That's quite a lot of power for such a small tank, but then again it's likely a big contributor to the growth of your acros.

• Like 2
Polarcollision
2 minutes ago, Rain24 said:

Maybe we just need to do a Nano Reef Girl's Coffee Meet and Greet or something. LOL.

Good to know the Shoreline guy is legit! I was wondering. His frag pics looked nice. But then again, a lot of them do. LOL. Oh yeah, tiny is good for me! :D Maybe I'll pay him a visit and drag the husband along.

It's so nice to know that at least one N-R memeber is in the area!

Let's do it! How best to find other Seattle Girls? Should we start a thread? He's a decent family man type of a guy, and he's got way more frags in his tank than he lists.

2 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

So beautiful! I love the idea of a favia wall - do you think the other corals will be safe when they start developing sweepers?

I have a couple favia and I haven't decided where to put them yet. Maybe the back wall will work for me too :D

Yeah, I think so. The GSP killed anything within 1.5 inches from the back wall, it wouldn't be too different. But that's a good point. I'll be sure to keep an eye on them. Do it! Favias are tough because they're encrusting. I don't like the idea of having to constantly chip them away from acros or taking up too much horiz space that other corals could use. Back wall is perfect.

2 minutes ago, J-Ranko said:

Anyone who's got an Oregon tort larger than a 1/2 inch stub can legitimately call their tank filled-in. :lol:  More seriously, what % intensity do you run them at?  That's quite a lot of power for such a small tank, but then again it's likely a big contributor to the growth of your acros.

Ha! You, sir, have a point. That frag started as 1/2". But there are so few living things actually blue... Gotta have it.  OT has really taken off this last year. Tripled in size. It has to have intense light and I deliver. You're right. The photoperiod is looooooooooong. But it just got shorter a few days ago when my husband complained it was keeping him up. Both blues come on at 5 am (6 now) and ramp up to 66% by 11:30. Whites on at 7 and ramp up to 15% by 11:30. Full intensity until 6 pm and then they ramp down. Whites out by 8 and blues out by 10 (was 11pm). Green maxes at 40%, red maxes at 21%. Both off by 7pm. No UV. I borrowed a PAR meter and error corrected the readings for LED. It's been a couple years, but I think I have 600-700 PAR on the OT. It literally burns my hand if I leave it in one place too long.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Polarcollision said:

[...]

Ha! You, sir, have a point. That frag started as 1/2". But there are so few living things actually blue... Gotta have it.  OT has really taken off this last year. Tripled in size. It has to have intense light and I deliver. You're right. The photoperiod is looooooooooong. But it just got shorter a few days ago when my husband complained it was keeping him up. Both blues come on at 5 am (6 now) and ramp up to 66% by 11:30. Whites on at 7 and ramp up to 15% by 11:30. Full intensity until 6 pm and then they ramp down. Whites out by 8 and blues out by 10 (was 11pm). Green maxes at 40%, red maxes at 21%. Both off by 7pm. No UV. I borrowed a PAR meter and error corrected the readings for LED. It's been a couple years, but I think I have 600-700 PAR on the OT. It literally burns my hand if I leave it in one place too long.

That's amazing, even more so that your softies and LPS at the bottom of your tank don't seem to mind such a strong lighting.  

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Polarcollision said:

Thanks Weetie! Nice to see you around NR. How's the macroalgae these days?

Thx, it's nice to be back!!

I actually don't have any Macroalgae right now, but I'm working on that. 

My project at the moment is a little Waterfall Pico. (link in my sig)

Speaking of that, you surprised me when you said you couldn't get any corals within 1.5" of your GSP Wall. 

I have some in the Waterfall and I've never heard of that. 

Really??

Polarcollision
10 hours ago, J-Ranko said:

That's amazing, even more so that your softies and LPS at the bottom of your tank don't seem to mind such a strong lighting.  

It falls off really fast fortunately. I think 300 PAR on the sand--I'd have to look back to be sure. Everything has to acclimate to the tank. I picked up either seduction or salted agave paly and another one like it that has peach instead of red. They both hated life on the sand bed. Had to put them in the shade to open. But 3-4 weeks later they're just fine in the sand and I bet I could move them higher now. It kinda makes sense. It needed time to switch on genes and build it's sunscreen. Now that you've got me thinking about it... I put king midas zoas and rastas up next to OT from the side frag rack. It took KM just as long to decide to grow a new polyp and rastas are finally growing larger polyps. So yeah, 3-4 weeks for them too. CHalices love, love, love high light. Acans don't though. I stopped with the rainbows cause they just turn orange for me. And the prettiest trachyphillia I've ever seen bleached out. Guess it's just like every mixed reef - some things thrive and some things not so much.

12 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

Wow!  Looks amazing. ?

Thanks WV! Glad you stopped by!

5 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

Thx, it's nice to be back!!

I actually don't have any Macroalgae right now, but I'm working on that. 

My project at the moment is a little Waterfall Pico. (link in my sig)

Speaking of that, you surprised me when you said you couldn't get any corals within 1.5" of your GSP Wall. 

I have some in the Waterfall and I've never heard of that. 

Really??

I must have missed the pico link. Yeah, for a while I had a green slimer growing into the GSP and it was stripped to the bone anywhere they touched. Same for the giant teal birdsnest, setosa, and encrusting montis. I only had SPS touching GSP though so I don't know how other corals handle their sting. The SPS at least didn't die outright like when the rainbow stylophora and teal bird touched. Boom. All gone.

Off to check out your pico.

44 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

Beautiful!

Thank you PJ! It's nice to finally enjoy the tank again. :-)

• Like 3

Wow, things are looking fantastic Polar.  I missed the update in February so I enjoyed those as well.  I am insanely jealous of your Joe the Coral.  All colors look fantastic!

• Like 1

I always loved your GSP wall but the tank still looks amazing.  Also a multi favia wall could be quite unique too.  It will also send out sweeper tentacles though so you wont be able to place coral too close to it, I wouldn't think.

• Like 1
Polarcollision
13 hours ago, markalot said:

Wow, things are looking fantastic Polar.  I missed the update in February so I enjoyed those as well.  I am insanely jealous of your Joe the Coral.  All colors look fantastic!

Thanks Mark! Is Joe the Coral a fancy coral from before I started reefing? I notice that people reefing longer than I tune into that one in particular. I bet the Pohls has a lot to do with your color. and the lower nutrients. When Christine (nanotopia) was more activce she got me to try it after I did something to dull all my corals. All colors were nice and bright until the bottle ran out. Thanks for reminding me it exists! :-)

13 hours ago, vlangel said:

I always loved your GSP wall but the tank still looks amazing.  Also a multi favia wall could be quite unique too.  It will also send out sweeper tentacles though so you wont be able to place coral too close to it, I wouldn't think.

Yeah, I'll miss the lovely weedy wall too. Just time for a change I guess. Craving colors other than green dominant lately. It won't go away completely though. Just down to it's own little island in the sand. :-) I'm OK with the favia sweepers keeping the back wall clear. It will help water circulate. Sadly, the chili lime micro frag stung the 4 color skittles frag and killed it. Will have to get another piece soon. I have some close-ups to share...

• Like 2
Polarcollision

NEW BACK WALL CORALS

4-color favia (mother colony owner says it's Skittles). Sorry about the water distortion, frag is at a weird angle.

SKWh1nV.jpg

Don't know the name of this one, but it's super pretty

ysdjeX0.jpg

tyree Fire Lamellosa

T5rL0vk.jpg

RR Spicy Lemon favia

22eTRtM.jpg

This is a very cool uncommon coral that is royally pissed off. Stylocollenia is the species--google it for some other color combos. Before I exposed it to too much light, it was a nice bright fuschia red that blended through orange to the yellow polyps. Hopefully it recovers from bleaching.

8TLn46t.jpg

And a macro of the orange encrusting psammacora

0dEtfkU.jpg

• Like 9
5 hours ago, Polarcollision said:

Thanks Mark! Is Joe the Coral a fancy coral from before I started reefing? I notice that people reefing longer than I tune into that one in particular. I bet the Pohls has a lot to do with your color. and the lower nutrients. When Christine (nanotopia) was more activce she got me to try it after I did something to dull all my corals. All colors were nice and bright until the bottle ran out. Thanks for reminding me it exists! :-)

Joe is one of the older ORA corals and i strikingly beautiful when healthy, in my opinion.  I lost mine when the tank had issues and now I'm afraid to add any new acros to the tank since it's stable and pest free.

I love the StycloC, the one in my 40 gallon is still showing new colors, this time a nice blue polyp.  I'll have to get a picture.  

• Like 1
Polarcollision
On 3/15/2017 at 4:07 AM, Weetabix7 said:

Those are really gorgeous!!!

I'm a fan of Favias myself. 

Hope the Stylo recovers and colors back up. 

It's looking a little worse today. I don't know what it needs... But at least it's not dead yet.

On 3/15/2017 at 5:23 AM, markalot said:

Joe is one of the older ORA corals and i strikingly beautiful when healthy, in my opinion.  I lost mine when the tank had issues and now I'm afraid to add any new acros to the tank since it's stable and pest free.

I love the StycloC, the one in my 40 gallon is still showing new colors, this time a nice blue polyp.  I'll have to get a picture.  

True story, the blue tips above the teal-green base are really nice. It's pretty fluffy too. The little red trimma goby likes hiding in it's branches.

Did you get a pic?

On 3/15/2017 at 8:48 AM, got2envy said:

looks fabulous! nice reef :)

Thank you envy!

On 3/15/2017 at 9:26 AM, uwdanno said:

Damn. Thats really cool looking. I haven't seen many Lamellosa's. 

Me either! Here's a pic of what the mother colony looked like. Except The base was not teal, but a purple so dark it looked black.

aff0ee7d3748a97151b346dd0297c353.jpg

On 3/15/2017 at 11:04 AM, teenyreef said:

Nice! I can't wait to see how they all look on the back wall. Fill er up!

done, son!

• Like 3
  • Polarcollision changed the title to Polarcollision's Nuvo 24: FTV & new Apex