Pod Your Reef

CNCreef Asis Pro 824 LED/T5HO Evil Cluster Hybrid

jedimasterben

bdevillier19

Not that I don't appreciate everything all of our service men and woman past and present have done for us, I really wish the mail was running tomorrow, I really want my LED stuff lol.

i know the feeling. it never seems to fail that every time i order something its a holiday weekend which means my stuff takes longer to arrive.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

All glued! Though I managed to forget the violet LEDs for the little one. <_<

IMG_20140525_231248272.jpg

Also realized I can't draw straight lines worth shit lol

jedimasterben

So, I sat down to get all of the LEDs tinned, get the LDD boards swapped over to 24-pin IC sockets so I quit destroying LDD, and start wiring them up... and after finishing the LDD board stuff (well, three out of four boards since the other is in use right now), I tinned the LED pads, and had less than half an inch left of solder. I ordered 100g of 63/37 rosin core on the 21st, and was shipped from Miami on the 22nd, and it isn't going to arrive until tomorrow. FML

My grandpa came back from his shop and had a massive 5lb spool of solder and asked 'will this work?' It was 35/65 acid core solder that was 1/4" thick. I was like uh, not really lol

So, I sat down to get all of the LEDs tinned, get the LDD boards swapped over to 24-pin IC sockets so I quit destroying LDD, and start wiring them up... and after finishing the LDD board stuff (well, three out of four boards since the other is in use right now), I tinned the LED pads, and had less than half an inch left of solder. I ordered 100g of 63/37 rosin core on the 21st, and was shipped from Miami on the 22nd, and it isn't going to arrive until tomorrow. FML

My grandpa came back from his shop and had a massive 5lb spool of solder and asked 'will this work?' It was 35/65 acid core solder that was 1/4" thick. I was like uh, not really lol

Wuss. Acid core ftw.

jedimasterben

Wuss. Acid core ftw.

That shit would make such a mess, definitely not worth it, especially needing to put it so close to the LEDs. Much better to wait the day for the proper solder lol

I'm surprised you ran out. I always assumed you just bought it weekly for nourishment needs like food. :P

jedimasterben

I'm surprised you ran out. I always assumed you just bought it weekly for nourishment needs like food. :P

F U

:lol:

Somebody was busy. ;)

How much longer til we see some pics of this beast fired up?

Pushy pushy! ;)

A lot of wires.

IMG_20140526_214136903.jpg

Test number one, L/C, V1, NW1, B/R.

IMG_20140526_215910854.jpg

IMG_20140526_220424542.jpg

Test two, V2, NW2, RB1, RB2 (RB2 didn't light up, I must have had a bad connection somewhere, took some fiddling to get it going).

IMG_20140526_221320555.jpg

Most useful $5 thing ever.

IMG_20140526_230045854.jpg

Envy me.

IMG_20140526_234208891.jpg

What I am having to do since there are 16 wires is use one 8-conductor cable as all positive and the other as all negative, and keep the colors the same. I have a Google doc with them all labelled so I wouldn't lose it lol. Gonna cover all of the soldered connections with electrical tape (wish I could find my liquid tape), hot glue the fans on (so that there is no vibration) and run the wires for them, and that should be it for the main unit. Put the endcaps on and figure out a way to hold the heatsink in place and is all I've gotta do. Then it's on to the T5, which is gonna be super fun since all of those wires will need to be sleeved, and then I've gotta figure out some way to make them not look like total crap connecting to the 7-conductor cable that will attach to the ballast. Probably got another 4-8 hours of work to put into it. Joy!

NirvanaandTool

Wow that is bright! But looks awesome. I do not envy you with that wiring. I haven't even started to tackle mine yet but dang, good idea on the Google doc to keep track.

jedimasterben

I'll do my wire tests today to make sure that I got them connected properly, and once I do, I'll be able to get some quick n dirty PAR readings with everything at 100% :)

If I did something like that I would try multicon ribbon cable, instead if the blown up Zebco route. CA glue it to the heatsink long ways on either side.

I can't visualize how the two different lengths work yet.

jedimasterben

If I did something like that I would try multicon ribbon cable, instead if the blown up Zebco route. CA glue it to the heatsink long ways on either side.

I can't visualize how the two different lengths work yet.

Would you rather have a pair of 1/4" cables sleeved or a 3" wide flat ribbon coming out of your fixture?

jedimasterben

So. Close.

IMG_20140527_234026061.jpg

IMG_20140527_234128213.jpg

Hot glue is a godsend when trying to get things organized (though it will detach as soon as the heatsink heats up)

IMG_20140527_234119760.jpg

I was kinda hoping to get all of this mess shoved into the end of the fixture and only have the multiconductor wires coming out...

IMG_20140527_234146102.jpg

But yeah, there is no room in there. Ffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuu.

IMG_20140527_234204601.jpg

What to do. The sleeving really isn't thick enough to go over that much mass. I think what I'll have to do is put a couple of small zip ties on it, cut a piece of heatshrink, then cut that piece open and just wrap it around the wires and then shrink it, then do it again on the other side, and hope it doesn't look like a pair of dicks. Ugh.

Why not just put sleeving over each channel? Atleast you'll have 5 sleeved wires opposed to potential dick looking wires.

jedimasterben

Besides having to redo all the wiring (plus, now that it is together I won't really be able to trace anything back) I would also need way more wire to run for each channel, and I would not have enough sleeving, either, according to my calculations.

Paleoreef103

I'm kind of amused by the fact that this build has been evolving for over a year. I can't wait to see it actually fired up before you decided two months down the road to build something else. :lol:

Adrnalnrsh

I'm kind of amused by the fact that this build has been evolving for over a year. I can't wait to see it actually fired up before you decided two months down the road to build something else. :lol:

Or he just decides to go with a Goldfish Bowl

Archived