Pod Your Reef

SaltyVT's 8 gallon Biocube

SaltyVT

Hey Salty! Love the light and the clam!!! How was the water level when you got back from your trip. Do you have an ATO? If not, hopefully the water level not too bad probably not since you were only running 4hr light cycle.

BTW, I never "heard" any chuckling about the Borat post on page 6. Hopefully you didn't take offense. Just trying to be funny. I think we have a similar sense of humor. I think I can still edit it off if you'd like.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

d.jpg

WHAT!! OKAY!!!

the water was low, really low. lost like half a gallon over three days. I have to do constant top offs. Everything has just about returned from the salt shock! I need to round up a ATo device soon, other wise I'll never be able to go vaca!! Heres some new pic of thing opening up!!

P1010770.jpg

P1010776.jpg

P1010774.jpg

Clam moved, to the top of rock!!! Damn camera is in the other room, too much work to get off the couch and get it and take pictures!!! :P

Clam moved, to the top of rock!!! Damn camera is in the other room, too much work to get off the couch and get it and take pictures!!! :P

Get off your lazy hiney and post the pic! And if you went to LFS today to blow you bonus on frags we need to see those too! FTS while your at it!! :P

I saw in the other thread that you are planning to put a pump in chamber 1 and another hydor. I was thinking about this myself. Just curious how you plan on going about it. I mean, do you have to completely empty your tank to do it? How are you going to cut the hole? Seems like it would be impossible to get a drill in there... Dremel I guess? But, seems like it would be tough to make a nice straight cut with one of those.

The hole would be high up wouldnt it ?? Just do it when youre doing a water change. :D

I was thinking about doing this to my BC29, but after seeing a nanostream 6025 today, im going to give one of those a try first.

Oh, and Stallen couldnt be more right.... get your a$$ up and get us some damn pics. :slap:

Well, I thought about that, but wouldn't you have a big mess of plastic shvings in the tank. Not to mention the vibrations would cause post traumatic stress disorder in all of the inhabitants!

Ive done it in my tank once already... I just used a fish net to get all the shavings that were floating on the surface, and nothing seemed affected by any vibration stress. That was over a month ago and everything is going great still.

Just picked up some new corals. Used the money from returning all my beer cans from the last month to fund this trip. Got a nice green Ric, and a Ora rose Milli!!!! SICK!!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah I'll get pics in two second........

Hey Salty,

I stopped by GMA on Shelburne Road. Looks like they're closed down and moving to Winooski. Do you know anything about that?

Sorry!!

Heres some eye candy!

P1010787.jpg

P1010780.jpg

P1010788.jpg

P1010792.jpg

P1010786.jpg

P1010791.jpg

Rev, Gerry closed down a while back and it now operating out of his house in the Noosk. He is operating on appointment only, his number is the same as the old one. I haven't been in yet to check it out. Your best bet is MMR, the pet advantage really over prices their stock, and doesn't have a good variety of corals.

Stallen, Teal,

I was thinking of doing it during a water change, and emptying out some extra water if necessary. Either a dremel or a right angle drill, with a vacuum to try and get the bits.

Your best bet is MMR, the pet advantage really over prices their stock, and doesn't have a good variety of corals.

I went by there tonight. They do have lot of nice corals (and a HUGE clam), but I wasn't too impressed with the rest of their livestock, or their rock, or their hardware. They just don't have much of anything except corals. That, and it's a 20 minute drive from my house, one way.

Insane Reefer

Salty, are you using stock lighting? Is the stock lighting enough to keep a clam? I have been researching my eventual stock, and have really become attatched to Tridacna derasa - sort of vulgar looking, but cool too and suposed to be a hardier clam...

Salty, are you using stock lighting? Is the stock lighting enough to keep a clam? I have been researching my eventual stock, and have really become attatched to Tridacna derasa - sort of vulgar looking, but cool too and suposed to be a hardier clam...

Look at post #137. That thing on top of his tank is not stock.

Salty... I've got a couple questions about the MJ900 if you can swing by my thread and have a look.

Insane Reefer
Look at post #137. That thing on top of his tank is not stock.

Ah, I see now. Being on dial-up, I really don't have all day to wait and hope the images all load - I just skimmed the text to see if I could see what his lighting scheme was, and I didn't...

Hay salty I'm new to the saltwater thing. With no top on you your tank aren't you worried about fish jumping out or your snails crawling out? One more thing do they may one of those lights for a 14g Bio Cube? Cause I really really want one of those clams.

No not worried the top takes up most of the top so hopefully no jumpers. Check out Petmountain and look at the sunpods. you could go with the 20" 70w or 150w MH. I choose the 16.5 my tank is only 12 across.....Clam is doing great, already noticed it growing!!

Alot!!! Of evaporation that is! Its looking like 1/8~1/4 a gallon a day depends. Maybe a little less.....average temp is 62 during the day 70 at night. I want to cover more of the top with glass to reduce the losses!

New purchases!!!!! Added 4~5 more lbs of LR from my 12 I dismantled. Bought a great piece with what was thought ot be 4 Yuma Rics, But I got home and counted.......10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SCORE! Light pink ones al different sizes hopefully they survive. I'll be monitoring their progess!!! Pics when they open up!

• Christopher Marks changed the title to SaltyVT's 8 gallon Biocube

Archived