Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

SaltyVT's 8 gallon Biocube

SaltyVT

How did you place the FLO?

Did you just remove the stock outlet and place it on, or did you do any extra plumbing?

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How did you place the FLO?

Did you just remove the stock outlet and place it on, or did you do any extra plumbing?

It comes with adapters, it took a couple of minutes to jam the right one onto the outlet port and pop on the FLO!! work good!!

looking good!

my ammonia & nitrites have been zero since Friday, and the diatom bloom is in full swing, looking forward to the CUC!

29g Biocube...

just picked up a conch, some pipe organs, and a small rock with yellow polyps and zoa's. Moved the candy cane from my 2.5 into here. Have a Clam going in the 2.5 so need some room. Enjoy.....

P1010552.jpg

P1010553.jpg

P1010554.jpg

True true, i have my water above the window all together!! I have almost finished the fuge in the middle chamber. have my chaeto coming tomorrow to finish it off!! I just added a cabbage leather today. Can't wait to add more!!!! :D i can snap more photos if need be!!

the clam in the 2.5, we will see. They have a Clam supposedly, that can grow under PC lighting and are supposed to be very hardy. We'll see!! ;)

What do you wanna know about the water level gauge ?!? I have a skimmer in my second chamber, so in order to get the water level high enough to actually use the skimmer my water level is way above the min/max line... the min max line is there to make sure you dont let the tank get to low... and the max was a setting for the factory setup... the minute you start modding the cube the min/max level usually goes out the window.

Exactly...... I have been replacing everything. Mine is past the window to keep everything happy. Before the window was useful though.

Some questions from a noob.

How did you put purigen in the first chamber? Is the factory filter still in? Do they both fit? Is it the 100 size bag of purigen? Seems like I read that you have to use "the bag" with tiny holes for purigen because it leaks out of most other bags.

Also, trying to find out about aquascaping. Do you usually use an adhesive to join the rocks together? I think I would prefer that.

BTW, I'm expecting my BioCube 8 anyday !! :haha: !!

Can you post some details about your fuge setup?

Is it similar top tghe one CHill105 setup. ie Scraping the coating off the rear glass and attaching a light?

I am moving that directon, and want to see everyones ideas!

Your tank looks great!

I just scraped the back of the 2nd chamber with a razor blade as other people have done. Very easy to do, I've got a nylon bag with various live rock in it at the bottom, then a ball of chaeto on top. Drip tray with filter floss on top.

I have a T5 10w light from the top of an old Eclipse tank on the fuge at the moment, but I'm going to try an LED light I've just bought and see how that goes.

I've also cut away a little more of the wall between chambers 1 and 2 so that there's better flow into chamber 2. I just used some snips and gently cut it back some more. This is only if you are not using the standard filter cartridge of course. In chamber 1 I have a 50W Stealth, more live rubble, a bag with some de-nitrate chips and a bag of purigen at the top. Much better filtration than the standard cartridge I'd say! The filter floss on top of chamber 2 is great as it's so cheap and easy to replace and it catches all the gunk nicely!

I have to change my filter floss almost everyother day!

Stallen

Th bag is the 100 Purgien, it comes in its own bag so no worries there. I took out the stock filter and threw it at the cat!. I would say they would both fit but no point for me anymore!! I haven't glued anything together. I am constantly moving everyhting around!!

I have roughly the same setup. I will snap some pic of the progress, waiting for the light and chaeto to come in. I have alot more LR though. I don't have a heater.......yet. I am sure when winter hits up north here and it -30 outside I will need one. My house is rather old!!!

I will have alot of LR in both chamber 1 and two, and possible 3 if need be. I have used a different pump then Chill105, I went with the Maxi jet 900, more flow!!!Other then that is along the same lines.

yeah, note my great craftsmenship!!! :P Bought a house and was able to but lots of tools!!!. Had some scrap wood from redoing the ceiling in the back porch, and from fencing in the hot tub, so I was able to build the fuge box with that. Really went together easily. i did use some flashing I had from old lighting I had from previous tanks, but I t was so marred up and yucky i went with tin foil for the mean time. I fastened the velco with finishing nails to make sure it would hold. I ordered the same light as Chill105 so I am waiting for it to come in. I did find a halogen light from the Depot for a under-the-cabinet light to begin with, but decieded that the heat and the possiblity of a fire (I'm a firefighter) from the heat was a no go. So I found that 9w PC at walgreens.com. hopefully it will fit the box I made for it. :D

Whatever works! I like the velcro option over duct tape for sure, despite all the cultural urges to Red Green everything in the house.

I presume you'll be swapping the rock with cheato when your light comes in?

I've been turning the pump off when feeding as I've noticed food is too quick to get flushed into the filter and onto the filter floss. I love to overfeed my tanks, but in an 8g I'm trying to show some restraint.

yeah the food gets sucked in pretty quickly. I am having issues with small bubbles coming from hydor Flo but might be coming from the intake on the pump????? I will be removing and smashing up the LR into smaller pieces. I will keep some of the LR in the 2nd chamber and the rest might go in the third. My light comes in on friday, I recieved my chaeto today and its resting in my 2.5 for the mean time....... I might go to the local LFs that gives it away for free from one of their display tanks................

So the fuge in the back is up and running as of this morning. I removed a bunch of the LR smash it up more. I put a bunch into my bucket of curing LR to help seed it!!! So lets see how it goes......................

yeah the food gets sucked in pretty quickly. I am having issues with small bubbles coming from hydor Flo but might be coming from the intake on the pump????? I will be removing and smashing up the LR into smaller pieces. I will keep some of the LR in the 2nd chamber and the rest might go in the third. My light comes in on friday, I recieved my chaeto today and its resting in my 2.5 for the mean time....... I might go to the local LFs that gives it away for free from one of their display tanks................

Hey there Salty,

I have pretty much the same setup as you. I am also having a problem with little bubbles coming from the hydor. Did you figure out a way to fix it???

Also, I just received my MaxiJet 900. And the fit inside the 3rd chamber is a little snug. Did you notice that? I was wondering if it was restricting the flow. Seems like the input is really close to the wall.

• Christopher Marks changed the title to SaltyVT's 8 gallon Biocube

Archived