Coral Vue Hydros

SaltyVT's 8 gallon Biocube

SaltyVT

Well I am trying the tank without the hydor flo to see what happens. Some of my corals aren't to thrilled about the high flow, might move them into my 2.5 to see what happens. Can't figure out where those little bubbles are coming from???

Yeah the Maxi jet is a tight fit, haven't noticed if it restricts the flow. Its like 2.25X more flow so I figure even if it does Its still way better then the stock one!!!!

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fuge is working great. I added a peppermint shrimp, took out the coral banded, added some xenias and a toad stool, I also took out the Candy canes. :P

P1010606.jpg

P1010607.jpg

P1010613.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hey SaltyVT. How is the fuge working out since you've had it running for awhile. How often do you have to harvest the cheato?

I want to turn chamber two into a fuge, but I currently use chamber two for chemical filtration. I can't seem to use chamber one for filter media because it slows flow to the point that the water level raises too high. High enough that the top intake/surface skimmer doesn't skim as effectively and high enough that water from the main tank nearly overflows directly into chamber 2 and 3. Not to mention filter media in chamber one is probably mostly bypassed because most the water flow goes into the top intake and over the top of the filter media. I HAVE cut the plastic in between chamber 1 and 2 just as you have.

If you have a remedy for this I'd love to know what you are doing.

I have a possible solution/mod I'd like you and other BioCube owners to look at. Please have a look... http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=101795

I had that same problem with the fliter floss, but then I just added less floss like a thin layer, It keeps the water movin and the crap out of the water. I have been able to find a happy medium with flow finally, I have three new corals lined up soon, including a clam!! i just checked my chaeto today, time to harvest it grew like crazy!!!!!!! Friggin sweet! And the pods I have been getting are insane, I have a bloom of mini brittle stars out of no were.

I had that same problem with the fliter floss, but then I just added less floss like a thin layer, It keeps the water movin and the crap out of the water. I have been able to find a happy medium with flow finally, I have three new corals lined up soon, including a clam!! i just checked my chaeto today, time to harvest it grew like crazy!!!!!!! Friggin sweet! And the pods I have been getting are insane, I have a bloom of mini brittle stars out of no were.

How do you know that the surface "skimming" is not efficient. I also have a biocube 8.

I had the same question here.

I rolled it over as I drove home from work. I am all worried now that as stallen said, my water level is too high.

Can someone clarify how much flow is the right balance?

Well I don't want to concern you guys. If you view the link in my above post I have a picture of what I'm talking about. It just seems like the best way to surface skim is to have a little bit of "daylight" in between the top of the upper intake vent and the water level. That way the surface of the water is always flowing directly into chamber 1.

That's how I like it but maybe it's not as important as I'm making it out to be.

I think most of the surface skimming is done through the filter floss into chamber 2. The grid into chamber one doesn't seem to skim at all really, no matter what the water level.

I see what stallen is talking about.

The water level in the main chamber has to be low enough to allow the surface film to pass through the vents.

Yeah, that's true, there's a certain point where the surface level would get stuck just above the vents. Any higher and it'll pour over all chamber walls.

I'm finding that chamber 3 is a little 'stagnant'. I was shining my little flashlight in there last night, it's very calm at the top of that chamber. There's even little creatures swimming around, pods and such. I wonder if it's a bad thing?

Yeah, that's true, there's a certain point where the surface level would get stuck just above the vents. Any higher and it'll pour over all chamber walls.

I'm finding that chamber 3 is a little 'stagnant'. I was shining my little flashlight in there last night, it's very calm at the top of that chamber. There's even little creatures swimming around, pods and such. I wonder if it's a bad thing?

Which pump do you have? If the intake on the pump is pointed toward chamber 2, maybe it could be turned the other way (pointing toward the outside wall). This might create a little more turbulance in the chamber since the water will have to swirl around the pump to make it into the intake. I have the MJ 606. I think I have the intake vent facing toward the main tank. I am still keeping my water levels between the MIN - MAX window so I haven't thought much about that water getting stagnant. When/if I get a fuge going and I rasie the water levels I'll be keeping that in mind.

Just added more corals, Some Mean greens, a mini carpet anemone, and a mushroom. Will take photos when it all settles in!!

I used a MJ900. It comes with an adapter that you can connect a air tube to. When not using this venturi effect you can plug it up with the supplied plug. I simply removed the plug to reduce the main flow and it happend to add a small current to the third chamber. Batta bing!!!!! :P

NICE!

Isn't it great when these little tweaks work out so well!

It's pretty cool though, I shine a little flashlight in there and there's tons of little creatures swimming around, I guess as the water's relatively still. Maybe it's a good thing? Give the little guys somewhere sheltered to multiply?

Who knows. I do love this little tank though. I used to have hang on, DIY lights, partially covered lid, salt creep, no moon lights, evaporation problems, loads of unsightly equipment in the tank etc etc, now it's all neatly tucked away!

Salty -

Looks Great! I'm hoping to get some frogspawn soon. I'm also thinking about a feather duster.

Do you know if we have any light upgrade options? I just came up with an idea. I'm not sure if it's possible. We have 18W bulbs and obviously 18W external ballasts. The 12 gallon biocube has 24W ballasts and the 29gallon biocube has 36W ballasts. So the questions are will the ballasts from the larger tanks screw/plug into the existing wire on the 8 gallon tank. If so, are there 24W or 36W bulbs available in the same length as the 18W bulbs?

There are quite a few ifs in there, but it would make for an easy mod. No cutting or wiring. Just plug in the upgraded ballasts and plug in the upgraded bulbs. Our stock bulbs are pretty nice, but this would give some extra ooomph!

Can you post a link for these 36W stubby lights if you find them!

I'm sure there are a million ways to chop up our hoods to fit various lights. For now, I don't feel comfortable with cutting up my hood. Well, not much cutting. I'd like to find out for sure if the 36W ballasts will fit our existing cord. (i bet they do) and get some of these 36W stubby bulbs you are talking about.

If a BioCube 12 gal or 29 gal owner views this maybe they can post a pic of their external ballasts cord/connections!

I want some frogspawn too. I'm not sure if we have enough light. I'm sure your frogspawn is fine for now, but I'm not sure that it's optimal lighting.

The 24w Oceanic ballast will plug right into the line for the 18w light. I know this because my Biocube 8 came with one 18w and one 24w ballast, apparently having been packed that way by mistake at the factory. It seems to work fine. I have no idea what size the 24w lamps are, though.

Inside the lighting compartment, under the heatshield, there is a little 12v transformer and a circuit board. I believe all they do is power the fans. If those things were taken out and the fans were powered with a 12v wall-wart transformer, there might be room for a third 18w lamp in there. You might have to swap out the fans with ones 10mm thick instead of the stock ones which are 15mm thick, and you might have to modify the heat shield a little.

Do you know if we have any light upgrade options? I just came up with an idea. I'm not sure if it's possible. We have 18W bulbs and obviously 18W external ballasts. The 12 gallon biocube has 24W ballasts and the 29gallon biocube has 36W ballasts. So the questions are will the ballasts from the larger tanks screw/plug into the existing wire on the 8 gallon tank. If so, are there 24W or 36W bulbs available in the same length as the 18W bulbs?

There are quite a few ifs in there, but it would make for an easy mod. No cutting or wiring. Just plug in the upgraded ballasts and plug in the upgraded bulbs. Our stock bulbs are pretty nice, but this would give some extra ooomph!

I did have a 32w quad bulb made by customsealife. It has an external ballast, i bet you could fit two into the hood minus the moonlights. the only problem is the business closed a while ago so who knows the avaiblilty of the stock! I have also been thinking of going topless and getting a 70w HQI that clips on. But that could be too much light so.....

• Christopher Marks changed the title to SaltyVT's 8 gallon Biocube

Archived