Cultivated Reef

SaltyVT's 8 gallon Biocube

SaltyVT

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm... basically not enough water is getting to the back, and you widened the divider... hmmm... do you have a lot of filter media blocking the inflow?

did that already - I'm going to look for my hydor flo and see if that slows the water flow in to the display area enough to raise the levels in back.

You need to open up the flow more between Chamber 1 and 2. In my situation, I had to go beyond the location of the stock filter to get it wide enough...If you insist on keeping it, perhaps you could make the cutout deeper to increase the flow at the overflow point.

I have cut the overflow between chamber 1 and 2 so that it's totally level - I have also removed the stock filter as well but neither have allowed the water in the 2nd and 3rd chamber to raise.

You must have something blocking the flow to the input of the MJ900.

Make sure it's not blocking the intake at the bottom of Chamber 3, or that nothing else is.

I'll check that - but I've also cut slits in to the side of the intake to help with the intake flow - maybe that messed it up or something...

I filled my back water level all the way up to that visible line of plastic above the entire window. The micro bubble will go away I had the same problem but they have gone away! You should be fine by adding water, its the only way to raise the level! :)

If I keep adding water the display part will just overflow the entire back wall rendering the whole back wall filtration setup useless

If I keep adding water the display part will just overflow the entire back wall rendering the whole back wall filtration setup useless

I have the MJ900 and BC8. It works fine to keep adding water until the rear chambers are all nearly full. I had the same concerns but if you just keep adding water it should be fine. If it's not working out make sure your tank is level. Check it frome front to back and left to right. Make sure it is very level.

The only time I have had problem with water going over the back false wall is when I put too much filter media in chamber 1.

Right now I have the bottom grate in chamber 1 removed. I have several golf ball size pieces of rubble on the bottom, then a bag of purigen, then a 5oz bag of chemi-pure. I have filter floss sitting on top of the chamber 2 drip tray. Chamber 2 is full of cheato. I keep chamber 3 full up to the bottom of the 90 output elbow. Chamber 2 is full to the drip tray. I don't have any flow issues with this set-up.

This seems to be a very common set-up for the BC8 and works very well. Hope this helps.

Tomorrow I hit up the LFS for more saltwater and LR rubble so I'll try when I get home and see if I can get it to cooperate. I do really like the hydor flo on there - (I did check and nothing's blocking the intake to the pump - if there was that would actually HELP my concern with flowing too much water in to the display)

I found if I put too much filter floss over the drip grate it would slow it down till it overflowed. You will be fine adding water it won't over flow as long as the flow from chamber 1 to chamber 2 isn't blocking a good strong flow. If it does start over flowing take some out! :D Hope it all works out!

LFS had problems with their water system so no saltwater for me -- but I picked up a pound or so of LR rubble - tossed that in the back chamber (took out the very bottom grate in chamber 2) and the water levels in the back have gone up now :D

• 3 weeks later...

Bought my BC8 2 weeks ago ($133.00 at the LFS). I just wanted to say how much I've enjoyed reading this thread. Lots of great info and ideas. Swapped the bulb positions to get the fan on with the actinic light an hour earlier than the daylight bulb. Removed te bioballs and replaced with LR rubble. Cut down the overflow from 1 to 2 to get the water levels up back there. I left the forward half intact, though, so the water is still forced through the stock filter cartridge. Ordered some chaeto, should be here tomorrow. Scraped the paint off the back of chamber 2 and fixed a light to the back of the chamber with velcro to come on opposite the display lights. I still have the stock pump. Water flow seems good. In fact, it seems that more flow might be too much.

So how do you guys like the hydor-flo. When it rotates 360 degrees does it splash alot as it points upward? I have heard of a similar device that, instead of rotating, it goes back and forth. Anyone have any experience with one of those?

Bought my BC8 2 weeks ago ($133.00 at the LFS). I just wanted to say how much I've enjoyed reading this thread. Lots of great info and ideas. Swapped the bulb positions to get the fan on with the actinic light an hour earlier than the daylight bulb. Removed te bioballs and replaced with LR rubble. Cut down the overflow from 1 to 2 to get the water levels up back there. I left the forward half intact, though, so the water is still forced through the stock filter cartridge. Ordered some chaeto, should be here tomorrow. Scraped the paint off the back of chamber 2 and fixed a light to the back of the chamber with velcro to come on opposite the display lights. I still have the stock pump. Water flow seems good. In fact, it seems that more flow might be too much.

So how do you guys like the hydor-flo. When it rotates 360 degrees does it splash alot as it points upward? I have heard of a similar device that, instead of rotating, it goes back and forth. Anyone have any experience with one of those?

There is no "splashing" with the hydor-flo in a BC8. If you want to use a hydor-flo I would recommend the mini-jet 606. More flow and quieter than the factory pump.

Your tank looks great Salty!

No splashing at all. Good to hear I and everyone else were able to help you out! n You might get a few bubbles that come from the output, but that will go away in a few months! :D

Thinks are growing well in the tank! Thanks Stallen!!

• Christopher Marks changed the title to SaltyVT's 8 gallon Biocube

Archived