Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

SaltyVT's 8 gallon Biocube

SaltyVT

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haven't seen anything for Bio 8's yet. I checked my small quad bulb. turns out it a 27w 6700k. Could fit muiltiple ones in the cover and get almost twice the power. :)

Can you post a link for these 36W stubby lights if you find them!

I'm sure there are a million ways to chop up our hoods to fit various lights. For now, I don't feel comfortable with cutting up my hood. Well, not much cutting. I'd like to find out for sure if the 36W ballasts will fit our existing cord. (i bet they do) and get some of these 36W stubby bulbs you are talking about.

If a BioCube 12 gal or 29 gal owner views this maybe they can post a pic of their external ballasts cord/connections!

I want some frogspawn too. I'm not sure if we have enough light. I'm sure your frogspawn is fine for now, but I'm not sure that it's optimal lighting.

Stallen-

Ironically enough there are exactly 6 18ga wires running through each of the black cords with the funky disconnect ends on it....Just perfect for running two tube program start ballast, but it requires bringing new line to run the fans, and you loose the two switches on the top. I am in process of change out of ballasts; cut the special end off the BC's orig. ballast and making connections that way to the new ballasts...should be nice and clean with minimal "cut" work, but mounting the bulbs has been a pain (squeezing 4 into that space). I'm hoping to post some pics soon

-R

edit: P.S. The original BC ballast set up is an INSTANT START ballast. this only uses 2 wires to drive the Cathodes on the the bulb if the ballast is anything other than Instant Start, it will require 4 wires to light one bulb. and F.Y.I. I couldn't seem to get the 2G11 socket from the original BC29 lighting to come apart to be able to rewire for the better ballast I picked up

hope that helps ya

Robster - Would definately like to see some pics when you are done. I've been wondering if I can get 4 tubes in my BC 8. I would say 3 is definately do-able. If I do this I might run 2 x 10000k tubes and 1 50/50 tube. That way I still get some actinic lighting. Dunno I'll just have to experiment.

• 2 weeks later...

Just picked up a purple nepthea. I;ll let it open up an take more pics. I have my eye on one last addition to the tank........???? Just need my 150w HQI first!! ;)

Just picked up a purple nepthea. I;ll let it open up an take more pics. I have my eye on one last addition to the tank........???? Just need my 150w HQI first!! ;)

Mmmm hmmm... watcha got yer eye on?

Are you gonna set up an auto top off when you go topless?

HYPE.... I'm gonna have an interesting pic up on my thread tommorrow evening!! ;)

Looking forward to some pics!!! I have to go topless so I need to construct a auto top off soon!! I have a space reserved for a special little crocea!! hopefully followed by some easy beginner sps down the road!!!!! :happydance::happydance::happydance::haha::haha::naughtydance:

Looks great!! I don't have any corals yet. Now that I've got my lighting taken care of I'll get some soon. I see a hermit on the side of your frogspawn. Does he mess with the frogspawn much?

Hey Salty, What is you feeding schedule? What do you feed and how often?

Sushi gets feed every other day. I use DT's phyto-plankton every other day too for corals usually at night or first thing in the morning. I also mix in mysis occasionally, I hear this stuff put a bunch of waste into the system so I use very little and very infrequently. I also use cyclopeez once or so a week. I usually turn off the pump, and with a turkey baster with water in it, sprinkle the granular into the baster. I then try and feed each coral individually, leaving the pump off for twenty minutes and watch the shrimp freaking out over the food and stuff its face the whole time. And thats about it!

Thanks for the info.

What are you doing for calcium? Are you supplementing? The first time I checked my calcium was <100! I gradually got it up to 420 then it fell again. I don't even have any corals yet... good thing. I'm now trying to figure out the best and easiest way to keep a stable ca level before I buy any corals.

One more question... :unsure: "The Dirty Sanchez?" :o Does that have the standard definition or does it mean something else to you? :lol:

I got 440 last time I checked. I add a buffer/calcium/minerals type stuff. Kent marine Nano ion buffer, or something like that. I add it each day, it keeps my calcium way up and replenishes the essentials that might be used up by the marco algae.

As far as the Dirty Sanchez.... :owned::rolleyes:

:haha: That's completely disgusting... but right up my alley!!! :naughtydance:

What does your pH normally run?

If you don't mind, I'd own you one (not a dirty sanchez) if you would tell me exactly what products, dose amounts, and schedule you have for maintaining your pH/ca/alk. I figure if it's woking for you, something very close should work for my tank.

This is the stuff I use: 86_1.JPG

The additive keeps PH at the optimal level like 8.3~.4. Basically you add part A directly to the tank, I do 16 drops. Five minutes later add 16 drops of part B. Do this everyday. I usually skip the water change day, I feel that I replenish every thing with the new water. This product maintains Ca, PH, Alk, and iodine too. Been working for me for the last two months.

When ever "Mrs. Claus" decides i deserve it. :lol: A couple more weeks! going with the sunpod 150w. Should be more then enough for SPS and clams!!

What was the final verdict on the Hydor Flo in your tank?

You suspected it of creating bubbles, have you tried to fix this issue, or just let it fall by the wayside?

I was thinking of adding one to my setup, but weanted to follow up with you.

I have no clue where those little bubbles are coming from ??? I have LR rubble and chemi pure in the first chamber, filter floss, chaeto and LR rubble in the second chamber, MJ900 pump with a bag of purigen in the third. I have just half of the hydor flo on, I removed the outside piece because the flow was so much it was digging a whole on the front left hand side of the tank. I still get bubbles!!!! My water level it to the top of the drip plate, so I have no freakin clue????!!! :wacko::wacko::huh::huh:

So water level in chamber 3 was not a solution? I have some small bubbles occasionally also.

It must be the pump cavitating??, or maybe the 90 degree elbow at the outlet??

I didn't notice, but can you recall seeing bubbles when you were running the original "low flo" stock pump?

I have no clue where those little bubbles are coming from ??? I have LR rubble and chemi pure in the first chamber, filter floss, chaeto and LR rubble in the second chamber, MJ900 pump with a bag of purigen in the third. I have just half of the hydor flo on, I removed the outside piece because the flow was so much it was digging a whole on the front left hand side of the tank. I still get bubbles!!!! My water level it to the top of the drip plate, so I have no freakin clue????!!! :wacko::wacko::huh::huh:

Hey Salty,

I have the exact same setup as you, and I also have these microbubbles that you speak of..I don't know where they are coming from either. You mentioned that your maxijet 900/hydorflo was kicking up sand??? I have the same pump and hydor but it doesn't look like it would even come close to being able to "kick up" sand. Do you think there's something wrong with my pump?

• Christopher Marks changed the title to SaltyVT's 8 gallon Biocube

Archived