Coral Vue Hydros

SaltyVT's 8 gallon Biocube

SaltyVT

Hey SaltyVT!!!

I have been following this thread for months now, as well as Stallen's. I have been doing lots of absorbing information and now I'm ready to jump into this meow! I purchased a 14g Biocube from a fellow reef club member who is moving to Thailand (I think shipping would be expensive)

I just thought I would stop by to thank you guys for all the helpful information.

Anyway Check out my tank thread Meow! (Mods Coming Soon!!!)

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Ditched the Hydor flo, things seem to like it with the constant flow and I get the nice shimmer effect from the mh!

I thought the Hydorflo was really cool at first, but after a while the inconsistent flow started to bug me. I also didn't like how it blasted directly on my Kenya tree. I've gone back to the stock nozzle too and with the MJ900 it ripples the surface nicely making even my PC lights shimmer a little bit.

Regular nozzle is just more aesthetically pleasing in my opinion. It's also very small and nobody asks "Whats that spinning thing?"

Your tank is lookin awesome as usual!! Question, what do you use to attach your corals... I have been doing the balancing act and it usually leads to chaos... i cant seem to fit things in cause of it.

Put an update on my thread as well.

I use a epoxy to attach a few of my corals, I would definetly go with a grey colored one, I have white and hate it. The balancing act never works out that well.

Bought some new rhodactis, I just can't resist, theres about 9 or so on this rock

P1020293.jpg

P1020303.jpg

P1020297.jpg

P1020317.jpg

P1020319.jpg

Awesome BC....the selection of corals is perfect in there and it looks great. Question about your MH lighting, what sort of lighting schedule do you run on your tank? I am getting a 150w Sunpod for my BC29 and just wondering what schedule you run the moonlights and halide at.

Great job on the tank...looks great.

Thanks! I have it Go on at like 1030 in the morning, and off at 845 at night. The moonlights go on for a couple of hours after that. i am sure I am not alone in saying this but I can't stand timers, they seems to never work properly. My main light works perfect, the LEDs are off by 20 minutes each day no matter how many times I reset the time. Same with the fuge light!!! AAAAHHHHHHHH :D

Charleston huh, looking to move there next year, how do you like it?

Just run the moon lights 24/7. Won't make a difference when the halides are on. The halides greatly overpower the LED moonlights. And LED's last for years.

I thought the Hydorflo was really cool at first, but after a while the inconsistent flow started to bug me. I also didn't like how it blasted directly on my Kenya tree. I've gone back to the stock nozzle too and with the MJ900 it ripples the surface nicely making even my PC lights shimmer a little bit.

Regular nozzle is just more aesthetically pleasing in my opinion. It's also very small and nobody asks "Whats that spinning thing?"

Put a HydorFlo in mine as well... there's $10 I can never get back. What a waste... made it almost impossible to place corals where I would want them because the current seemed like it was cut by 75% and what little current that was focused was just focused on the back of the tank.

And when you do place corals (if you don't use glue) the HydorFlo comes along and blasts them right off your aquascape, into the sand there the hermits can drag them around!!!

Lets start a movement against the hydor flo!!!!!! :P Man it really does reduce the flow strength, i was amazed when I took it off!

Thanks for the info. on the lighting schedule with the MH and moonlights. I hear ya about the timers....I have my lights on both of my tanks to go off around 10 and now one goes off at 10 pm and then the other goes off 10:15 and gets later every day :)

I am just about ready to take the Hydor Flo off as well....just for the fact that the freaking thing comes off almost daily off of my loc-line. I know this is my fault for not fitting it properly but I might just try it with a loc-line nozzle and see how it rolls.

Charleston is great....been living here for almost 15 years now after living in Chicago and Philly for a while. Wouldn't move anywhere else. PM me if you have any other questions about anything...we have a pretty decent LFS as well.

Adam

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Well its been a fun ride, thanks to all who looked and helped. The 8 is no longer, its just another empty tank in my basement...........

I can't believe it... we got out at the same time! Take care....

• Christopher Marks changed the title to SaltyVT's 8 gallon Biocube

Archived