Pod Your Reef

The Propagators 100g mixed prop tank.

The Propagator

The Propagator

New corals and a new, larger rack system ( some better pics of old coral as well )

Birds Nest:

BirdsNest.jpg

Blue Millerpora:

Bluemillepora.jpg

Green Millepora:

Greenandyellowmillepora.jpg

Mystery coral ( any one know? )

Mystery1.jpg

Mystery coral 2 ( any one know? )

Mystery2.jpg

I forget the name but this stuff is AMAZING ! I swear to God that in person this acro is SOOOO deep red you will think it is bleeding ! JUST BEAUTIFUL !! :

Mystery3.jpg

Another strange one ( any one? )

Mystery4.jpg

FINALLY !!! After TWO YEARS of looking I got some purple cap !!

Purplecap.jpg

Deep purple body light blue/purple tip Stag :

Purplestag.jpg

Rose Millepora:

Rosemillepora.jpg

Tricolor Valadia Acropora:

TricolorValadia.jpg

The creme Dela' Creme !!! I have NEVER seen one that is true red but here it is !!

a red Montipora Digitata !! ( I am gonna have to move this one down a bit though I think.

red usually like low light and I have it up top for now.)

Reddigitat.jpg

Here is the orange so you can see by comparison...

Fireorangedigitata.jpg

And a crappy FS of my new larger rack ( there is about 14" of tank space to the right you aren't seeing)

NewRack.jpg

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Damn, that is one suhweeet looking tank...

You should set-up a 10-20g tank that has every single coral you have in the prop tank. Something to think about, eh?

The Propagator
Damn, that is one suhweeet looking tank...

You should set-up a 10-20g tank that has every single coral you have in the prop tank. Something to think about, eh?

and every thing in them would die with in 3 months if I used them as frag tanks.

Never start a frag system smaller then 20 gallons. :)

That first mystery coral is an acro, I have the same kind of frag. Might be a deep water acro.

It looks like A. Lokani to me.

The one you have labeled "Another Strange One" after Mystery Coral 2 looks like some kind of Montipora to me, possibly M. Spongodes.

SeeDemTails

That red digitata is sick, I need one of those frags after I move. I got you e-mail, you said use it when I needed to, perhaps that time is coming soon!

nice tank prop.

have you forgotten rule #1 of the frag business?

if you don't know what it's called, make up some crazy name and some fool will buy it.

The Propagator

HA HA ! Thanks guys !!

My new stuff came from a trade with a buddy of mine.

KrankyKris,

Every time I do that some one like six reams me and a horde of trolls who live for that stuff follow LOL!

" You just make up names so you can charge outrageous prices!"

Yeah... I am TOTALLY twisting their arms to buy it LOL!

There are only two corals that I KNOW I charge out the wazzoo for but.. you cant find them any where else and they grow SUPER DUPER SLOW. ( in my tank any ways ) My Armageddons, and my PPRPE.

the rest is pretty much on par ( actually less) then every one else sells them for.

BUT I am not trying to turn this into a sales thread.

I just like to show off my crap.

I have an email and a PM box.

Folks can easily ask around and can get either one if they need to talk to me. ;)

I'm like a bad rash that spreads every where ! LOL!

Yeah those "RACKS" took me all friggn night to make Thursday night.

I had to make one massive "RACK" to make room for what I was getting from my buddy in trade.

The beauty of this system is all that space underneath the rack. If I get a coral th needs shaded I have PLENTY of room for it. Plus all that exposed substrate allows for some WICKED good natural filtration.

I mean WICKED GOOD. Its only about 2" deep but thats 2" deep x 60" long and 18" wide ;) Plus I have a HUGE recirculating skimmer I made last year plumbed in line with a pro 150 sump with live rock in it.

The nasty don't live long in that sucker !

While I think it is ABSOLUTELY FLATTERING I am inspiring some of you I hope you DO REALIZE that the tank your looking at by all rights SHOULD NOT EXIST ! Its a Chimera of the reefing world.

You usually see SPS dominant, LPS dominant, or softy and LPS dominant tanks. Very rarely do you see a TRUE mixed reef with equal proportions of each. This is due to the possibility of ( and some times eminent ) chemical warfare.

I have been doing this a long large time now. Its taken me a long time to figure out by trial and error what will do well beside what, what produces an "invisible" force field of chemicals, and how to deal with them and keep them all together. I STILL HAVE ISSUES now and again too. I'm no guru by any means.

Hell most of you hear know what the crap is before I do LOL! I just have a lot of time becaus eI work from home so I can spend it pruning, and taking care of it properly so things don tend up in the sewer from all the monster sI have in there that shouldn't be mixed. :)

Its best for most folks to start up a species specific tank.

In other words if you want SPS go small and watch what you buy or go big and do all sps and certain lps.

This tank is really a mytholigical creature that defies conventional method and natural "rules".

So please don't try to emulate it and expect it all to turn out hunky dory. There is a 90 percent probability it will NOT. :(

BUT BY ALL MEANS !!!!

If you have the space and the money to set up a 20 gallon or larger propagation tank and have the experience, the time, and you feel you can truly do it.. THEN DO IT !

we need all the people growing out stuff we can in this hobby.

Not so much for price breaks ( you may see a little but not much unfortunately thats just not happened yet :( ) but you will help alleviate a HUGE strain we all put on our natural reef slopes by wild collection for the hobby we love.

It takes effort and more time then a regular old reef ( PLEASE BELIEVE ME WHEN I SAY THAT ! )

But the bounty from it that doesn't have to be taken from the wild is well worth it !

We already have corals like Green Palau tree coral that are completely extinct in the wild.

Lets stop this from happening to the lot and grow our own !

:)

OH.....

Sedemtails...

It will be a little while on the red digi... I need out find out exactly here it will keep its color in my tnak or move it to another. I HOPE its just acclimating but it already looks like its turning burnt orange some what.

I think its the halides though. The good news is I can either move it under the rack , or to a completely different system with PC's on it :)

and every thing in them would die with in 3 months if I used them as frag tanks.

Never start a frag system smaller then 20 gallons. :)

I meant a 20g show tank with all the pieces you got!

The Propagator

Couldn't fit them in a 20g either.

I am placing all my frags in the 100 and buying two MORE 40 breeders for the colonies.

:)

Even a frag of each thing I have would not fit on a 20g long. :D

Seriously it wouldn't..

I have hundreds. Its sickening.

The Propagator
duane so how many frags did u get out of that ORA frag.

Which one ? LOL!

I have ORA frags out of my ass now Josh.

You mean the birdsnest?

I have around 11 and counting now not counting the 9 or so I have sold so far.

All from the one peice I bought from Bill.

:lol:

The Propagator

No problem Bill :-)

( btw thats not the Bill I got the birds nest from ;) Bill at World Of Pets )

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Duane, quick question.

What is the correct dosage of Kent Marine's Concentrated Iodine in an iodine dip for zoas?

I haven't used it in a while and can't remember, and I know you've done dips with it.

Thanks! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived