Pod Your Reef

The Propagators 100g mixed prop tank.

The Propagator

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, I love the new pics! And I'm especially happy to get your camera review! (Let's hear it for point-and-shooters!) I'm thinking sometime I'm gonna have to upgrade from my 3.1 meg one...Man, an image stabilizer would be SO sweet!

--Diane

The Propagator

Go with the Canon Powershot series.

You can't go wrong with them.

All the pics before these were taken with an old 4 meg A520 with no IS and only 4 x optical zoom.

The Canon A720 IS is 8 meg and has 6 x optical and 4 x digital zoom.

Whats REALLY handy about the 720 IS is that it has 3 separate modes you can set the image stabilization to.

You can either leave it at the factory auto setting which runs it all the time... ( makes it a little herder for those of us with shaky hands though cause you will be seeing red a lot ( red hands) )

or you can set it to shoot mode only where the IS is only activated when the shutter is clicked ( really a nice feature !) or you can set it to pan mode where it will only stabilize up and down motions and not side to side as well. This IS EXCELLENT for snapping of pics of fish swimming around !

The one thing it is missing when compared to my old A520 is that the ISO can only go to 80 where as with my old A520 it could be turned down to 50 BUT the A720 IS is also capable of from 8- - 1600 ISO so it make sup for it in a big way. With under water mode and white balance settings you don't need the lower ( 50'ish) ISO setting using the 720 IS.

I am doing some thin I usually NEVER do when I by a digital point and shooter ...

I am actually reading the manual LOL!!

This thing has so many features you pretty much have to unless your a camera wizz or something before hand. I am not so I must READ ! HA !

The video is AWSOME with this little sucker too. I was gonna post some pics tonight but my Batteries are all charging right now. I have a video of my coral and fish too. I think I will do that in the photo thread though..

Probably should move my little BIASED review there also :lol:

The Propagator

Got some WICKED good photo software today ( Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo X2).

So I should be able to correct a lot of those fuzzy shots and repost them.

Go with the Canon Powershot series.

You can't go wrong with them.

All the pics before these were taken with an old 4 meg A520 with no IS and only 4 x optical zoom.

The Canon A720 IS is 8 meg and has 6 x optical and 4 x digital zoom.

Whats REALLY handy about the 720 IS is that it has 3 separate modes you can set the image stabilization to.

You can either leave it at the factory auto setting which runs it all the time... ( makes it a little herder for those of us with shaky hands though cause you will be seeing red a lot ( red hands) )

or you can set it to shoot mode only where the IS is only activated when the shutter is clicked ( really a nice feature !) or you can set it to pan mode where it will only stabilize up and down motions and not side to side as well. This IS EXCELLENT for snapping of pics of fish swimming around !

The one thing it is missing when compared to my old A520 is that the ISO can only go to 80 where as with my old A520 it could be turned down to 50 BUT the A720 IS is also capable of from 8- - 1600 ISO so it make sup for it in a big way. With under water mode and white balance settings you don't need the lower ( 50'ish) ISO setting using the 720 IS.

I am doing some thin I usually NEVER do when I by a digital point and shooter ...

I am actually reading the manual LOL!!

This thing has so many features you pretty much have to unless your a camera wizz or something before hand. I am not so I must READ ! HA !

The video is AWSOME with this little sucker too. I was gonna post some pics tonight but my Batteries are all charging right now. I have a video of my coral and fish too. I think I will do that in the photo thread though..

Probably should move my little BIASED review there also :lol:

You sure sound like a camera whiz to me.

Well, now I know what to ask for for Christmas. :)

--Diane

The Propagator
Nice pictures prop, How long have you had this tank? Cant wait to see the full tank shot.

The tank it's self is 35 plus years old. It housed SW fish only until about 1.5-2 years ago.

Just about all the coral in it though ( as well as the live rock and live sand) I have had for years.

( not all but well over half)

bucknellreefer

I love when this thread gets bumped up cause I love seeing updated shots of your stuff (especially now that you see what's in the pics omgomgomg )

The Propagator
So do you sell these frags? I haven't been around long enough to know. Your monti caps are enticing.
I have been known to. ;)
I love when this thread gets bumped up cause I love seeing updated shots of your stuff (especially now that you see what's in the pics omgomgomg )
Thanks Buck !:)

You have a better selection than my LFS. Ever think about telling your boss to pound sand and opening a store? Of course then it would cease to be a hobby, and probably become alot less fun for you. I know when my prop system was rolling at full steam it was alot of cutting and gluing and smashing and gluing on and on and on. It does get a little old sometimes, but if you don't frag, the corals wage war, and thats no good.

Anyhow, very nice setup, and I am impressed at the little genetic bank you have going in your house!

The Propagator
You have a better selection than my LFS. Ever think about telling your boss to pound sand and opening a store? Of course then it would cease to be a hobby, and probably become alot less fun for you. I know when my prop system was rolling at full steam it was alot of cutting and gluing and smashing and gluing on and on and on. It does get a little old sometimes, but if you don't frag, the corals wage war, and thats no good.

Anyhow, very nice setup, and I am impressed at the little genetic bank you have going in your house!

Thats exactly the way I see it too. A sa little genetic bank.

Some folks get so miffed at me when I won't sell them my last piece of some thing.

Its quite comical at times but annoying most of the time. I am startin gto focus less and less on zoanthids and moving towards higher end LPS, and sps now.

By mid summer Most of the stock in this tank will be sps and lps only.

My 40 breeder and one of my 29's will be for zoa's and leathers.

I have a good local contact for ORA and other excellent SPS providers. I will be using the chit out of that contact after Christmas :lol:

( better get ready Gary !! Oh yeah ... its come'n !!! :) )

Yeah I told a local LFS once that I had more in one tank at home then he had in his entire set up.

didnt like it and told me never to come back ! :haha: Won't mention any names though ( ERIC MONFORT HEIGHT AQUARIUM)

I only said that because he told me I had no idea how to take care of coral when I mentioned to him he might want to remove the copper banded butterfly and clown trigger he and his dip chit buddy had set loose minutes before I got there in a 125g tank loaded with LPS and softies !! :slap:

Of course they never caught them and one week later a friend told me that they had caught the butterfly buy the trigger had TORE IT UP !! and was still in there.

MARVIN !!!!!!

Hi ya buba !!

I have been so busy with Ebay pics and stuff I haven't had much time to snap off any new pics for ther thread.

I have been so busy with Ebay pics and stuff I haven't had much time to snap off any new pics for ther thread.

Ah i see. So what's your eBay seller name?

Do what I do! Send him a PM, Tell him what kind of things you are interested in & ask for pictures. I got a bunch of really nice stuff about 6 weeks ago!

Do what I do! Send him a PM, Tell him what kind of things you are interested in & ask for pictures. I got a bunch of really nice stuff about 6 weeks ago!

Yep. Duane is very easy to deal with. I have bought from him too. He also has an eBay id burried in this thread somewhere. ;-)

Archived