Pod Your Reef

The Mantis Tank Thread

travisurfer

What if someone ordered it and it turns out that their "sale price" is only valid with orders of $100 or more and they get charged $89.00 for that little submerine. That would suck.

travisurfer

That would suck. I dont want to get it because I know for a fact that Cozmo would attack it. Its 100%. He doesnt even like the magfloat. After all of his work the darn snail still got away. :(

• Like 1
EL CHUPACABRA
You should train him to be hand-fed. :P

Or you could just tell people he is and let them try.

Step right up, step right up. Heres your chance to hand feed a rare stomatopod. Discover the thrill of such an amazing creature. Then, whack! First customer gets off with a broken nail and a bloody finger. ;)

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I have to demand, for my budgets sake, that the Mantis Cult disbands. You are festering dangerous ideas in my mind by posting. :huh:

Thats nothing. Fewskillz just traded me an eclispe hex 7 that I will have to leave dry for awhile. Oh and my mantis cult will continue to grow and expand. :D

the one guy in San Fran said it would be 'too much effort' to ship to Michigan and he probably wouldn't survive - the guy in hawaii released the one he and his kids caught - but said if he finds another one he'll let me know - and I haven't heard back from sandlot about Rose - and I don't have a tank big enough for a 4-5" peacock (even though I believe the guy is keeping him in a 5 gallon tank)

Edited by Argent

If rose is a chiragra that might even be pushing it. An acryllic tank would help due to their agressiveness.

If rose is a chiragra that might even be pushing it. An acryllic tank would help.

If rose is a chiragra that might even be pushing it. An acryllic tank would help.

If rose is a chiragra that might even be pushing it. An acryllic tank would help due to their agressiveness.

sounds so nice you had to say it three times? :P

Rose is a female Gonodactylus Chiragra - and if I do get her - I AM getting a 6 gallon acrylic tank for her (might order one from DrF&S they are on sale!)

but I won't hold my breath -- there are several others interested as well and I'd have to keep her in my 3 gallon until my 6 was established at the moment.

Cool. I was having internet problems this morning so thats why I have some double posts going around. :rolleyes: Good call on the eclipse 6. I may have to setup my hex 7 if I can find some room. So far I am really liking the eclipse tanks. They are clean and simple. Great for MOWLR(Mantis only with live rock) :P

my 3 gallon eclipse is really nice -- do mantis need high flow? if not I may even leave the stock pump/filtration setup in there. I have 15 pounds of tahitian black sand still so all I'd need is some decent pieces of LR.

I love MOWLR! hee hee

(Oh and I heard back about Rose -- looks like it would cost me $30 or so to overnight her here if I decide to take her)

endopsychic trashcan

I have a mantis shrimp in my tank, I think? I have something small that hides upside down in a crevice and jets out and stabs food, spins around it for a sec then drags it back into its lair. I can never really get a good look at it, and I really don't want to bleed so I have not dug around for it. It will probily get to stay in my tank untill it kills something of note. I was thinking I might be able to eradicate it with a rapid change in water quality since I have a baby tank and don't have much of anything else in it. Exept I do have some other cool hitchhikers. I have a rock that I thought just had some polyps on it but at night it has this thing that comes out. Its some sort of filter feeder that portrudes out about 1cm. It has a top(covered in coraline algae) that fits into its crevice then two sets of things that have bristle like projections facing inward at each other.

Ok I am getting off topic, if anyone wants my wee beastie thing and your in the dallas area, and if I can trap it, your more than welcome to it on the house. I don't want to kill the little guy, but I might.

Was that you anachronos?

Argent, mantis dont really need strong flow. As long as the tank stays clean I think you should be fine. It would cost you a good amount of money to get the mantis shipped anywhere. Make sure whoever is shipping it knows what they are doing. :)

I just found out I can setup my 7 hex. WOOT! I'm so excited. I just need to pick up a few things and then I'm good to go. Any ideas for this tank?

BB=Gross :)

The bottom of the tank really looks like junk. I can't turn it into a reef since it is an 18" tall tank with a 15w pc light. A fuge would be interesting but it wouldnt work out all too well either. I want to keep this tank low budget since I am in highschool without a job and this is my second tank. ;) I got it in a trade for some liverock. Anyway, I was thinking just a powerhead and a heater in addition to the normal filter without the biowheel. It will either be FOWLR or MOWLR. Im not sure how well another mantis would do because the tank doesnt have much surface area. :)