Pod Your Reef

The Mantis Tank Thread

travisurfer

I just finished cleaning everything so I am just waiting for everything to settle back in again. On the other hand, Cozmo almost nailed me when I was cleaning the glass. ;)

HOORAY! Pics!

Here is the 11month old 94lb reason for slower updates. We got him as a rescue dog about 2 weeks ago. My internet has been slow too. ;) This is during nap time:

thorA.jpg

Cozmo was shy but I did catch this shot:

wheres-cozmo.jpg

And here is the obligatory full tank shot:

8-25-06FTS.jpg

yankeereefer
BTW, how do you think 2 yellow tail blue damsels would do in this tank. I cant decide if I want one or two. ;)

I think it would be cool to add some fishes - For movement and color- IMO you have enough room in there. Just get 'em with full knowledge that they may ultimately become supper for cozmo

Did you see shivametimbas pix of his mantis and damsel?

You gonna put anymore rock in there?

Cool, I guess I will go with two, just have to decide. I did see shiva's pics. That was awesome and is also the reason why I am getting a damsel. I am not going to put any more rock in there because I dont want him to make this supernetwork of tunnels and crevices so that I wouldnt be able to see him. I actually traded my extra rock for the 7 hex that I have.

yankeereefer

I'm gonna pickup a damsel too - Was looking and the black and yellow variety though - My small 5.5 is being overrun with pods - Hopefully it can make a dent in them before meeting the Colonel for supper....

You should see my pods. They are giants among pods compared to what I had with fish. Everyday they cover the glass. I can even pick them up and they will squirm all over my hand.

I have some freaking awesome photos of Cozmo! I have the absolute best photo I've taken yet! I have to go running now but I will update them 10 miles later. *gotta build suspense ya know*

[whisper]

I have it on good authority another one of my founding Pico cult members will soon be a mantis keeper as well.

[/whisper]

Edited by Argent

Good news! Natasha wanders about the tank! She must like her new digs -- she even got all up in my face when I was looking at her (too bad I didn't have the camera ready) Even Bobby 'The Rock' Anemone has settled in and opened back up.

Oh and I can't give away who else is getting a mantis -- I'm sure she'll post up when it comes home. :wub:

Yay more pics!

Here they are in reverse order:

cozmo8-25.jpg

cozmowierd8-25.jpg

Too bad the forum compresses my pics now. I wonder why this is happening? Anyway, here is the best pic in its full and cropped form. The original is this computer's background.

cozmo-best.jpg

cozmo-best2.jpg

VannReefer87

nice mantis travis, I just picked one up today...it was labeled as a peacock but I found it to look much more like a Gonodactylaceus ternatensis....did you ever identify yours?

Thanks vann. Mine was also labeled as a peacock. G. ternatensis aren't the most common, can you post a pic of him/her? Mine is a male G. graphurus. I thought he was a ternatensis too but after talking to Dr. Roy and looking at his details I found that he is a male graphurus.

VannReefer87

yea I'll try...I thought mine too was a graphurus but he does'nt have the markings on his back like yours does....hes the spitting image of a G. Ternatensis...but I'll get a pic up so you can take a look

VannReefer87

yea i'll get a pic up tonight hopefully so you all can take a look as well as dr. roy at RC....but if it is a g. ternatensis can I be in the cult? B)

Edited by VannReefer87