ReefCleaners.org

The Mantis Tank Thread

travisurfer

i realy want a mantis for my pico now i have wanted one for a whilenow but i didnt want one in m ten gal. what kind can i have in my pico ??

What size pico? About 5 gallons seems to be the minimum for the smaller species in the 3-4 inch range.

Edited by DocToxyn
echo-bravo 4-19

guess not then i was thincking of building a 3g i dont thinck my mom would let me go as big as 5 g because i already have a sw ten gallon and a freshwater ten gallon plus in the winter shes going to get me a 46g and make me take down the sw ten gallon but maybe ill use the ten gallon as a fuge for the 46g could 1 live in there ? he/she would have it all to his/her self what species could live in a ten gallon fuge ill probably make the whole ten galon into a fuge and not put in a skimmer and other stuff (if that makes sence )

Edited by echo-bravo 4-19

Travis you better watch out for cozmo

news_killershrimp.gif

Just kidding, I really like this thread;I didn't think mantis shrimps could be so interesting;since they have kind of a bad rap.

Shrimps_01.jpg

travisurfer

Cozmo doesnt appreciate you talking like that. He is still hanging out in his cave so I am guessing he is guarding his food. BTW, I think a smaller smasher species would be find in a 10g fuge. Just remember that the tank would really only be around 5-7g after the baffles are added.

Zero-2-Sixty

well now ya dun it, now i have to set up a mantis tank cause theyre so darn cool. are you just using a standard tank? no special reinforcement for his smashers?

travisurfer

Its a 20H glass tank. I would recommend getting AGA for the thicker glass. Stay away from O. scyllarus and G. chiragra since they are prone to smashing tanks. I think a 12g eclipse would be good since they are acryllic and hold up better to smashing. As long as you stay away from those two species and some of the larger smashers you should be fine. The whole breaking a tank thing is pretty rare.

travisurfer

Cozmo is slowly starting to come out more and more to explore and hunt. He is getting used to me now too. Every once in awhile I see him outside and engage in a stare-off. Eventually he will roll over without taking his eyes off me, slowly retreat backwards on his stomach with his raptorial appendages held up, and then flies off across the tank into his tunnel. Funny little guy.

HOW DID I MISS THIS THREAD!?!

Oh well. I just saw it.

I'm planning on turning an empty 10 gallon I have, into a mantis tank, preferably a G. Smithii (since the mantis market isn't that big, I'll take what I can get.)

travisurfer
:slap: jk :grouphug: Seriously, glad you found it. G. smithi will be hard to find so I would consider N. wennerae for your tank. tampabaysaltwater.com has them for $50 shipped. Just make sure you dont get O. scyllarus or G. chiragra.

Yeah, I've been doing tons of research, N. wennerae was my back-up choice since I'll probably not find a smithii. :(

As for not getting a Peacock or chiragra, don't worry, I wouldn't put one of those behemoths in a 10. :lol:

BTW, great pictures.

Oh, and for anyone considering a mantis, here's a great resource: http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthropoda/cr....html#directory

I just checked out the link you gave me, N. wennerae is $9.95, but shipping makes it $50 (like you said)!

Edited by Anachronos

Travis-- what do you feed? I know mantis want a variety of foods, so I am curious what you feed him throughout the week. I would enjoy having one of these guys, but I dont need another tank right now-- 2 is enough!

travisurfer

Staple diet consists of chopped frozen shrimp soaked in Zoecon. Additional food comes from margarita, astrea, and cerith snails. He doesnt mind the occasional hermit crab either. BTW, he is such a proud mantis to have a fanbase. He says, "Hi."

travisurfer

update time! The half bashed snail was finished off and the first of the astreas is half eaten. Just received chaeto today too. Thanks debbeach, i will pay it forward. :) The red slime invasion appears to have subsided after one dose of chemiclean. :happydance: Happy dance time! Going to pick up some more snails soon. :)

update time!

w00t! :D

Staple diet consists of chopped frozen shrimp soaked in Zoecon.

What's Zoecon?

Keep us updated!

travisurfer

Its a food additive. Lately, I think he has been attacking the little statue. :) When I dont move much around the tank I can see what he is really like during the day. He is super active. Going from tunnel to tunnel and just about the entire 2/3 of the right side. That seems to be his main domain for now. Cute little mantis he is.