Pod Your Reef

The Mantis Tank Thread

travisurfer

travisurfer

Alright, here we go. Seek cartoons for cool names. Less upkeep compared to my two clowns. Waterchanges once a week normally. To be honest I dont really test my water but whenever I check it with my crappy test strips everything is good except I may have low ph. Anyway, sandbed is clean except for my cyano which has come back so I will have to get a come water before I can use chemiclean again. I keep a constant supply of snails so everything generally stays clean. For a 5g with a small mantis, it shouldnt cost too much to replace snails. If a broke kid in highschool can afford it, so can you. :rolleyes: Any other questions? :)

travisurfer

I saw the rest of him this morning and all looks good. I just have to do the chemiclean thing again to get rid of my cyano and then I will get some updates. The coralline is really coming along too. :D

travisurfer

Heard a nice pop this morning so I think he is back in action. Right now I have at least 3 baby snails, a long stringy worm, and tons of large and small pods. The pods are everywhere!

travisurfer

Can you wait till late Monday early Tuesday? My tank looks like absolute crap right now since I am treating with chemiclean again and I ran out of filter floss. :rolleyes: Cozmo is still looking good. He is already busy make his tunnels wider. :)

travisurfer

Cozmo is uber active today. I will get some pics today, just gotta clean the glass with his favorite toy, the magfloat. duh, duh, duuuhn.

travisurfer

Any ideas for putting a fish in this tank? Im not sure if I want one yet, but it has to be smallish and inexpensive. I was leaning towards some kind of damsel.

travisurfer

Cozmo is going after the largest margarita snail in the tank. Its been awhile but he keeps on hitting it. He may have bitten off more than he can chew. :lol: Its in a wierd spot of the tank but I will post a few pics in a sec.

travisurfer

Yay, finally some pics. :rolleyes:

Here he is going after mister snail:

8-9-snailpose.jpg

And then he first notices me after seeing a couple flashes:

8-9-caughtme.jpg

Ahh. omgomgomg he's coming after me :P

8-9-attackmode.jpg

Then he "retreats" only to hide in the cave to catch me off guard:

8-9-sneaky.jpg

The last one is also the first good photo of my turbo snail. He cleans absolutely everything. Sand, rocks, and glass. :D The astrea in the sand there was a meal a couple days ago. ;)

travisurfer

Step right up, step right up. Heres your chance to hand feed a rare stomatopod. Discover the thrill of such an amazing creature. Then, whack! First customer gets off with a broken nail and a bloody finger. ;)

I wouldn't want to hand feed that beastie with YOUR hand -- let alone mine. I'll go with the wooden skewers or straw method if I get one.