Coral Vue Hydros

The Mantis Tank Thread

travisurfer

FishFreak77

PLEASE keep us posted on Cozmo's actions and daily adventures. I fell in love with these unique animals a few months ago when I read a thread on someone's mantis named Ike. They are super cool looking, and I heard that they have good personalities. I would get one if I did not already have fish and a shrimp. I have a few questions for you.

1.Are mantis shrimp reef safe?

2.How much do they cost?

3.Can they really crack a tank?

4.How often do you have to feed them a crab or other food source?

travisurfer

1. Most are reef safe though some may move corals around. Like zoas on a sandbed. I think the species I have likes to burrow around stony corals which may cause some damage.

2. Prices range from $5 to $50 and possibly higher though that is overpriced. To me, Cozmo was worth every bit of $50.

3. Large species can crack tanks though its normally not on purpose; like burrowing but then hitting the bottom glass.

4. They should eat every one to two days with and occasional fasting of 4 days. You can feed frozen shrimp and scallops or live foods like crabs, bivalves, and snails.

It is best to do proper research before getting a mantis. Some species are more sensitive than others and can grow to a large size which can be unsuitable. Spearers generally require a deep sand bed and are more reclusive. Again, as long as you do proper research all should be well. After getting a closer look, I think Cozmo is actually about 1.5-2 inches.

Mantis are not what many would call reef safe. If you don't mind losing your cleanup crew and possibly your fish then maybe. They sometimes like to rearrange things and some corals might get burried. Many come as hitchhikers on LR and you might be able to get one fairly cheap. Large ones have been known to crack glass tanks, but not until quite large. Some will also store food after killing it if not hungry. If the prey is allowed to rot, it can foul a tank. The best setup is one made for the mantis by itself.

travisurfer

I probably should have added that. They do eat snails, crabs, and clams like I said earlier. Even smashers can take out slow moving fish. They are best suited for species only tanks, but they can be kept in reefs. With that being said, I wouldnt trade Cozmo for anything.

travisurfer

Well, its lights out for Cozmo. Going to finally fill the tank up the rest of the way so he doesnt have to deal with any bubbles. I caught his face sticking out when I pulled out the maglight.

travisurfer

It seems that Cozmo is now looking for a more permanent home. Last night I saw him roaming around a bit after the lights were off which is rather strange. I saw and heard him take his first hits on the rock too. Right now he is upside down in his orginal stronghold.

travisurfer

I just took a bunch of cool photos and then caught him taking down a snail! I got a video of it too! Just gotta host it and then I will post it here.

I thought smithii were the only ones with meral spots, like yours. But I could be wrong.

WTG on the mantis. Mine is a Gonodactylaceus falcatus and looks like the second & last pics here.

http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthropoda/cr...name=g_falcatus

As the description says, mine is "not very interactive" so I have no good pics. It was a random LFS hitchhiker and not really the species I'dve chosen. But I like him nonetheless.

He's in a 4g DIY acrylic tank that is jammed with way too many corals ATM awaiting the setup of another tank.

Keep us up to date.

C

travisurfer

Smithi have black meral spots but mine have orange. Dr. Roy himself said he is either glabrous or graphurus. He is really active, I have caught him crawling over at least half the tank already. BTW, Im still having trouble posting the video but Im going to try.

travisurfer

Yea he would. Still dont know if its graphurus or glabrous yet due to not being able to see the median carinule. Anyway, I have video now! Here it is:

He's finally a star! B)

travisurfer

He goes out occasionally to just kind of explore and find new entrances to his cave. I heard a lot of clicking last night so I think he was either making a new cave, making his lair bigger, or making new tunnels to his main lair. I have a lot more pics that I will post later.

yankeereefer

Hey Trav-

did you do anything to reinforce the bottom of the tank? I'm gonna start getting things assembled for my own mantis tank- My LFS has a mantis in one of his tanks for about 6 weeks now - He knows I want it, but haven't had time to get my stuff together till now

Stuff that I've read on other boards seems to suggest that the likelyhood of tank breakage by stomapod is going to more on the bottom (from burrowing) than on the sides from striking

I thought about taking a piece of acrylic and cutting it down to fit in the bottom of the tank - I will probably silicone it down but not sure yet.

thoughts?

I thought about taking a piece of acrylic and cutting it down to fit in the bottom of the tank - I will probably silicone it down but not sure yet.

thoughts?

I've heard of several people doing this and have not heard anything to discount its effectiveness. If you're going for one of the larger, stronger species, eg.O. scyllarus, you might want to go with an all acrylic tank, just to feel safer. It depends on how much are willing to risk, although I think the actual occurrence of tank breaks is quite low.

yankeereefer

thanks doc-

reckon I need to silicone it down or can I get away with just laying it in there?

Sorry to hijack your thread Trav - Was looking for your feedback too since I know you've done quite a bit of research here and on RC

Thats a really cool video travis. I think your little guy shows alot of personality. I think this thread is one of the more interesting topics on this forum! Good job!

thanks doc-

reckon I need to silicone it down or can I get away with just laying it in there?

My preference would be to silicone it in, just to avoid any potential trapped debris and nitrate problems.