inTank Media Baskets

The Mantis Tank Thread

travisurfer

travisurfer

Hey thanks everybody. I dont mind any mantis discussion in this thread as long as its constructive advice and it doesnt completely take over the thread. I think the bottom reinforcement has more to do with the spearer variety of mantis since they burrow through the sand and then hit the bottom. Smashers tend to stick to the rocks. BTW, Cozmo now has four entrances and exits from his main lair and has since expanded to the adjacent rock with two known entrances on that one. He still appears to be doing great. Right now I am still battling red slime algae but I am getting some chaeto next week thanks to debbeach. Anyway, I will have some pics up soon once I edit them.

travisurfer

Yay, here are the pics:

Here is a nice one with him in between his two favorite rocks. The one on the left was his first establishment while the one on the right is his new undertaking.

c-cave-nice.jpg

These two pictures are of him out and about creating the third entrance to his first lair. Gets kind of confusing doesnt it?

c-cruzin.jpg

c-m-2.jpg

That last one is one of my favorites. :P

Here he is with his meal and the flash on.

c-sflash.jpg

Hanging out in his tunnel.

c-tunnel.jpg

Empty shell.

empty-shell.jpg

clearer pic of one of the above photos:

c-m1.jpg

Edited by travisurfer
travisurfer

Here are some old photos taken the day of the snail video. Not sure how I lost these. Anyway, here you go.

Here is a hungy little Cozmo sticking his head out of his cave.

c-hole.jpg

This was the defence meeting held by a margarita snail and a red-leg hermit. It obviously didnt go so well since the snail was captured less than 30 seconds later. Maybe next time they will be better prepared.

meeting.jpg

This is my AC110 fuge without chaeto in it yet.

fugew-outchaeto.jpg

And this is the obligatory full tank shot. The two-rock complex on the right is Cozmo's constantly expanding mansion. Im trying to stay ahead of him by checking for new openings, but I think he might be able to make a surprise attack.

p-fts.jpg

Oh, and please dont steal any of my photos for any reason whatsoever. I dont mind you sharing them with others in your posts as long as you give me the credit for my work. If you want to use the photo for any other reason, please contact me first. As Cozmo's agent I have to make sure he is protected. Thanks.

hey dude....damn i should have been here at the start of this thred...looks like everthings going well

maaan ur so luck mine has only come out fully like twices in 2 months!!!!!

keep it up dude

travisurfer

Thanks. I just found out that he has tunnelled all the way through the large piece of liverock on the right. It about 6-8" long! He didnt even start until yesterday. When i was cleaning out the tank, I saw him on the far side right before I put my hand in there. It was a close one. Hope everyone likes all the new photos.

travisurfer

Well, I am officially donating my 3000th post to Cozmo. Seriously though, its lights out for my little friend. I have a picture of him in my avatar now. Isnt he a cute little bugger?

I think the bottom reinforcement has more to do with the spearer variety of mantis since they burrow through the sand and then hit the bottom. Smashers tend to stick to the rocks.

Hey Travis, again great thread. Regarding your statement about spearers being more likely to hit the glass...I had been under the impression that one leading factor as to why the spearers burrow in sand was because their raptorial appendages were adapted to spear fish and were thus more delicate than the smasher's. The teeth (see pic, spearer on left) on the limb look like they would break in any attempt to carve burrows out of rock. Do you have any experience/evidence to confirm/deny this? Perhaps they use the leading edge rather than the "loaded" one?

append1.jpg

travisurfer

I'm not sure, but they probably keep the third part of the appendage folded down most of the time like the smashers. Im guessing Roy would know. That last part is most likely stricty used for fish and shrimp. They only go through sand. I cant remember where I picked up the spearer through glass thing. I have had to research tons of places within a week so its a bit of a blur. I cant beleive people havent really come to look at all the pics. Cozmo is going to start getting angry.

travisurfer

Its the Red Sea Vaselight. It has two more watts and is UL listed if you compare it to the palm light. Its the purple one, but I painted the rest of it black with a spiffy paint job if I may say so myself. Cozmo may be getting a skimmer soon too. Im downstairs and I can hear him clicking. Off to investigate.

He is hunting a snail from his crevice between the two rocks. Its a bad angle in the middle of the tank so no video this time. I do have some photos where you can see him and the snail if you look closely.

Hey Travis, I REALLY like the aquascape you have there, just clean up the rubble in the front on the sand bed and that would make the tank look even better.

What lighting are you running again? Still planning on coral?

travisurfer

I was told that mantis like having rubble in the tank for their caves. I am gradually picking out the smaller pieces only leaving a few larger ones for him. I still have the single 65w pc light which I may or may not keep. UTR told me about these screw in 120 led bulbs that go into a standard medium house socket so I may try 2 of them if the spectrum turns out alright. The site only says white. I currently only have 2 polyps of my mushroom colony left and I may try a few more ricordea's and maybe xenia in the future. I dont think I am going to turn it into a fullblown reef anymore since I like the focus to be on Cozmo. Of course, I will most likely end up finding some cool frags that I have to have.

looks great man, nice looking mantis. I just built myself a mantis tank. Its a 10" cube. Check it out in the pico section, ill be updating as it progresses.

travisurfer

I just took out most of the rubble to put in the fuge, got some chemipure, got one a little statue, 3/4 lb of fresh white shrimp, and some zoecon food additive

Edited by travisurfer
travisurfer

Well, Cozmo really likes the giant(to him) moai statue in the tank. I have found him hanging out by it numerous times. Kinda wierd to see. I have some nice night shots today so here we go.

This is the supersnail that held up to Cozmo's best attacks.

snail-busted.jpg

The moai statue.

moai_night.jpg

And a nice fts for everybody. Gotta udate Cozmo's crib. :bling:

night_fts7-20.jpg

travisurfer

Forgot to add, Cozmo pwned the giant rock on the right. :naughtydance: He has so many tunnels through that thing, that I am scared to put my hand in the tank. :scarry:

travisurfer

He is a smasher, or as you would say a clubber. They have three parts to their raptorial appendages which, imo, makes them superior to spearers. They can either extend it halfway for smashing hard prey and warning shots or they can extend the appendage all the way and use a single "spike" to spear some fishes. So, in aquarist terms, he can either bruise my hand or cut into the middle of my finger. Neither one is too pleasent but I would prefer the first for lack of blood and possibly less pain.

travisurfer

Cozmo was rudely disrupted from his daily activities by a giant red and white straw sticking into his hole. He snuck around to see part of a shrimp skewered onto the end, and whack, he stole it off and retreated. A larfe vitamin rich feast followed.

travisurfer

He actually roams around quite a bit. Now that he has his mansion setup he will still venture out from time to time but not as often as he used to. I would say he is visible at least 70% of the time.

echo-bravo 4-19

i realy want a mantis for my pico now i have wanted one for a whilenow but i didnt want one in m ten gal. what kind can i have in my 2.5g??

i might make another tank out of acrylic because this tank is on my computer desk and i wouldent want a fried pc but i thinck the bigest i want to go is 3g

Edited by echo-bravo 4-19