Coral Vue Hydros

Starting my 3G Pico!

Argent

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply
lol.

Argent- this is off topic(sorry) but if I go online and print the prices off of www.petsmart.com and then go to the checkout, will they give me the online prices?

Thanks!

texx

The Petsmarts that I go to will match the website price if I take a printed page into the store with me. They even match the price on IO salt and don't charge the fee for shipping.

So do you like the sexy shrimp? Are they fun to watch? I was thinking of getting some but am afraid that they will be so small that I will never see them.

They are pretty cool - they don't really 'DO' a whole lot but they do wander around the tank shaking their butt. In my small tank they are pretty easy to find, but they are small - mine are like 1/2" long.

Let it not be said that problems arise with reef tanks....

This morning I arrived to what I can only equate to as a major disaster.

I have no idea what happened this weekend -- but my tank is cloudy, my candycanes and shroom have melted, my zoas are all closed, the sexy shrimp are no where to be found - and I believe Crabman's corpse is wedged behind some rocks (I need to tear apart some rockwork to get to him) and I think at least one of my astrea snails appear to have become hermit food.

Oh yeah and ironically I'm out of saltwater so I can't even do a waterchange yet (I'm heading out at lunch today to resupply my water reserves)

What a way to start my monday...

100_1933_Medium_.JPG

Water temp? Nitrates would shoot up if things were dying in your tank. Your SG is a little low too.

Wonder what happened.

Sorry to hear about it Argent.

Lots of things are MIA in the tank - which I'm assuming my clean up crew did it's job then.

I'm planning a 100% water change today at lunch after I go get more saltwater to try and save what's left.

Just shooting in the dark--- I am guessing it was water temps that caused things to die and it was a domino effect from there. That really really sucks.

Mondays--- lets boycott them!

yeah the lack of ability to monitor the tank over the weekends will probably keep me from putting this tank back together should everything not survive this crash.

Sorry to hear that Argent -_-

If everything survives I would just set it up at home rather then taking the tank down. JMO

texx

JeremyChase

Argent....

I'm really sorry to hear about your tank... I had something similar happen to my 3 gallon shortly before I moved everything to my 40 gallon. The power was out in my condo for 7 hours, and in the shuffle I unplugged the tank, forgetting to plug it back in(power was out, no obvious way to know). Well, I was away from my place until noon the next day. My Xenia lost 3/4 of itself, and my kenya tree looked aweful. The zoos were all ok within some time, however. It has only been 2 weeks since my small crash..

In your case, I'm not sure that you had a domino affect caused by a temperature spike. I'm no expert, but your water parameters are not that far out of spec; not far enough to cause other organisms to die IMHO. Either everything was killed due to the high water temperature or something else is at fault. I wouldn't rule out some other problem in the tank; some other kind of toxin in the water...

Sorry again..

Jeremy

Alright -- the 100% waterchange and forced reaquascaping has completed..

so far the death toll sits at

1 shroom

1 9 headed Neon Candy Cane

1 Porcelain Crab (RIP Crabman)

3 Sexy Shrimp (Larry, Curly, and Moe - I never got to know you)

3 Astrea snails

and who knows the final result with the zoas....

Those that survived....

6 Blue Legged Hermit Roaches....err crabs

3 Nassarius 'Night Of the Living Dead' snails

and hopefully some of the zoas (especially the PPE)

The GSP was placed in the baggie with the two new frags I brought in for this tank (a zoa colony - green skirt, blue disc, orange mouth, and a blasto) and will be placed in my quart pico until either this tank recovers or my 5.5 gallon cycles.

100_1934_Medium_.JPG

Man that really blows. I hope the zoas all make it. I have one more week of this internship and you cant stop entertaining me after we have made it this far!

Fishfreak218

srry to hear that.... i know how you feel (sorta) .... all most all my fish died while i was away :(... (except a stupid damsel and my puffer)

anyway srry for your loss...i think ur zoas should make it... but they will prob. be bleached... imo shrooms are more lickly to go first (when they get annoyed IME they start spitting out there guts... and its all downhill from there)

the original hitchiker paly that came with the liverock has started to open back up - the tank has started to settle back down and clear up -- I've been blowing anything that settles on the zoas off with my syringe so hopefully after a few days things will start to get better.

I already have offers from several local reefers to store my zoas in their tanks while my tank gets straightened out. And have had a few offers of replacement zoas if everything dies off. (If it does die off - I'll probably just go back to the new 5.5 at home where I can monitor it better)

If I were you I would take out the PPE until everything is ok. Just put in a little container and put a bubbler in it.

texx

Well todays forcast doesn't look much better -- my PPE looks like it's gone, nothing other than the original hitchiker paly has opened up at all in anyway.

Oh and stupid me in a rush to get to work this morning, left my test kits at home so I can't even test the water to see how bad it is.

Nooo! Not the PPE! It amazes me that even with a 100% water change bad stuff is still happening in that tank.

Your fellow cultists join you in your day of mourning.

Archived