Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Starting my 3G Pico!

Argent

Well my first attempt at an all invert 3 gallon pico has started.

I picked up some Tahitian Moon sand and 2.5 pounds of Fiji LR and it's going in to my Eclipse 3 gallon tank.

This will eventually be placed at my desk at work (more pics will follow after I get it set up there)

The LR isn't completely cured yet, was told I have another 2-3 weeks for it to finish so in the meantime - I'll just tell people at work that it's my pet aquatic rock.

Here are some pics taken today....

My old setup -- cleaned and ready to go

Picture%20202%20(Medium).jpg

The empty tank awaiting sand and rocks!

Picture%20203%20(Medium).jpg

Sand, LR and 1.5 gallons of salt water added with the 50watt heater.

Picture%20204%20(Medium).jpg

The stock eclipse filtration system with the intake pipe raised to help keep sand out of the motor.

Picture%20205%20(Medium).jpg

And the rest of my saltwater -- ready to be hauled in to work on Monday.

Picture%20206%20(Medium).jpg

The plans are for various crabs and snails with possibly a shrimp or two. Not sure just how much stuff I can put in here (or what might come out of my LR yet) But since I have plenty of time to wait I can worry about that later. I also was thinking of replacing the stock filtration setup with something like a microjet pump and maybe a duckbill. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Wish me luck! and I'll keep updating this as it gets established.

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nanomaniac

Your off to a great start and the black sand looks awesome. I would keep the built in filter if it doesn't take up too much room in the tank and use it for added flow and if you wanted to throw in a carbon you could. I would also suggest a small powerhead such as a Microjet or Minijet powerhead to produce flow throughout the tank. Be sure to keep us updated. :D

being a curious as my two roomates (my cats) I've been watching the rock waiting for it to unleash the hoards of life hidden within its walls (I know it sounds silly -- but hey I'm crazy)

Well this morning -- I do believe I spotted a copod or something running around in there! woooooo!

Is there anything I should be doing while my rock finishes curing for the next few weeks? I mean, besides just running the tank like normal?

Life has been spotted in the tank! I've seen what I believe to be copods -- and at least two tiny bristle worms. There are also two 'tenticles' that can be see (and retract when light is shone on them) on coming out of a rock, and one out of the sand bed. And just now -- while I peeked -- I might have spotted a small mantis shrimp (not sure -- it was ghostly white like the other copods I've seen -- but I swear it had front arms like a praying mantis, it zipped back in to it's hole in the rock as soon as it spotted me)

Guess we'll see how much of this survives the next 2-3 weeks of curing.

forrestp38829
- I might have spotted a small mantis shrimp (not sure -- it was ghostly white like the other copods I've seen -- but I swear it had front arms like a praying mantis, it zipped back in to it's hole in the rock as soon as it spotted me)

Guess we'll see how much of this survives the next 2-3 weeks of curing.

Sounds like an amphipod they are just as good as copepods. I dont think i have many, if any copes' just amphi's. Tank sound great,more pics Monday, right??

Sounds like an amphipod they are just as good as copepods. I dont think i have many, if any copes' just amphi's. Tank sound great,more pics Monday, right??

Yeah, tanks getting returned to my desk at work today -- I'll take more pics with it in it's new home and up and running. Maybe I can even get some macro shots of anything moving around in there!

New pics -- fresh from my desk...

First up - it's new home awaiting the tank

100_1457%20(Medium).JPG

The tank on my desk (pre-top off)

100_1458%20(Medium).JPG

And finally re-aquascaped and filled with salt water...

100_1461%20(Medium).JPG

next up -- test kits so I can monitor the curing of my LR and perhaps some sort of laptop cooling stand to help keep my temperatures down if they get too warm.

Swapped out the stock filtration system and removed the heater (tank stays stable between 78-82)

Added instead the Hagen Elite Mini Underwater Filter (which increased the tank circulation 1000 times)

IMG_1578%20(Medium).JPG

here's a new full tank shot (yes I still need to figure out what to do for a background)

IMG_1579%20(Medium).JPG

The more I look at it the more I wonder if I should go back to the LFS and get another couple of pieces of LR.

schaadrak

Yes to more LR.

I spray-painted the back of my Eclipse-12 black (I know it's a little late for you to do that now) and the black background looks great. Makes a lot of the equipment blend in and less noticeable.

Broke down -- bought 2 more pounds of LR and added it today -- already spotted a brittle starfish and some sort of coral polyp hitchhiking on the new stuff already. I'll try and get some pics tomorrow.

Here's a new full tank shot now with 4.5# of Fiji LR

100_1466%20(Medium).JPG

And on the newest stuff -- I noticed an unknown hitchiker! He hasn't opened up much so it's hard to see what it is.

100_1468%20(Medium).JPG

Also (and I take this as a good sign?) I've noticed a couple featherduster type things sticking their heads out of the rock now too.

featherduster.jpg

Now my wife tells me that I am a nerd, and reading your posts has just confirmed it. Beacause if I am not mistaken, those are DRDs in front of your tank.

Man I'm frelled brother.

Live long and prosper Argent.

Now my wife tells me that I am a nerd, and reading your posts has just confirmed it. Beacause if I am not mistaken, those are DRDs in front of your tank.

You my friend would be frelling right -- those are DRD's (including my custom painted 1812) I have them all over my cube area.

Hehehe

Took another new pic -- added a new background (and it's work incorporated now -- wonder if I can expense tank purchases hahaha)

100_1477%20(Medium).JPG

angelocarusone
aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

patience...must have patience...this waiting is killing me!

Have you upgraded the lighting yet?

Have you upgraded the lighting yet?

nope -- can't find an upgrade that will fit the stock fixture.

This morning before turning the lights on I inspected the tank with my flashlight and spotted a few bristlestars moving around on the rock (when the lights came on they headed for cover) I also spotted some sort of pod as it scampered across the rock when the lights came on - and a few other types of really tiny featherduster type things have poked their head out of the rock.

Perhaps my cycle is getting closer to ending and more things are starting to show life!

my little zoa is starting to stick its little fingers out around it's 'crown'!

and I've spotted some sort of black/gray earthworm looking tentacle that retracts when the lights hit it poking out of a piece of LR.

Finally picked up a test kit!

The tanks been cycling for almost 2 weeks now and my test results as are follows

PH: 8-8.1 (it's like halfway between the colors)

Ammonia: 0 ppm

Nitrite: 0 ppm

Nitrate: 20 ppm

I think I might be getting close to the end of the cycle? Going to re-test again on Monday before I plan on getting some clean up crew in there.

It's only a 3 gallon tank with about 4.5 pounds of live rock. Suggestions on how many snails/hermits the tank can handle? Not sure what other kinds of inverts I could put in the tank (maybe some other crabs? or a shrimp or two?)

I'm pretty excited! And can't wait to get stuff in the tank so people stop telling me I have a nice collection of wet rocks.

Oooooo that's pretty cool -- but I think it's too long for my eclipse tank (the bulb I have is only 9" long)

no, my plan for the moment is an invert only tank (with whatever hitchhikers came with my small pieces of rock) you know -- couple snails, few hermits and maybe a shrimp -- not sure what kind of fish would stay small enough to fit in the tank anyway. Since this is my first reef tank I wanted to keep it simple to see how well I can keep it running.

irishtexan

Ok. What type of corals are you planning on keeping in there when you get better lights? You could try a retrofit kit for the lighting.

Lighting

Archived