Innovative Marine Aquariums

Starting my 3G Pico!

Argent

The girl is going to frag my pieces today and ship them Tuesday (as long as they are still doing well after being fragged) so I'll probably have them wednesday to put in my tank. She's also getting me pictures of the frags before she sends them to me so I can post those when I get them.

JF2381 -- thanks for the compliments -- it's my first venture in to salt water so I've been a bit nervous about it.

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply
irishtexan

I can't wait to see them in your tank. Looking forward to seeing the pics. For your first time doing saltwater your doing a pretty good job.

texan

Thanks -- I've had many years of fish keeping mostly tropical and cichlids, I figured the next logical permutation was to try my hand at reef keeping - but on a shoestring budget. Since the tank is small I can save time/money by just buying pre-mixed salt water from the LFS!

irishtexan

Yeah I used to have cichlids too but then I thought that saltwater would be really neat to try and thats how I got started. I'm going to start setting up my 2.5 gallon very soon so you will have too watch out for that. Can't wait to see the zoo's in the tank.

texan

irishtexan

Yeah I will be sure to let you know when it gets going. So you will have the zoo frags on Wednesday?

texan

two zoa frags are out for delivery today -- I'll try and have pics up later this afternoon after I get them in my tank.

Also just ordered this from Dr Fosters & Smith

lg_rd_16989_24497DZ-IO.jpg

my hope is to take everything out of the hood they come in and custom mount them in my hood. Should help out my corals some -- and bump me to like 6watts/gallon of light.

Zoa's are here!

100_1577%20(Medium).JPG

shipped in cute little glad containers to keep them safe!

Frag #1

100_1578%20(Medium).JPG

Frag #2 (looks like it had a rough transit)

100_1579%20(Medium).JPG

New FTS (re-aquascaped for better zoa placement)

100_1584%20(Medium).JPG

and better shots of them in my tank (you can see the brown hitchhiker zoa all the way to the left)

100_1585%20(Medium).JPG

100_1586%20(Medium).JPG

irishtexan

Those look great! Glad to see everything turned out ok with them. You will have to post a pic when the open up all the way!

texan

irishtexan

Also, after you upgrade the lighting you could keep some gsp, xenia, leathers, etc. Or are you just going to keep zoo's? just wondering

texan

I really hadn't thought much about what else I could keep in the tank

The lighting should be here Friday -- So I may run my tank topless over the weekend while I take both hoods home to try and make one upgraded lighting hood.

great tank, you might mant to keep an eye on your heater though. i had the same one in my six gallon, the heater went crazy and got the tank over 90. heater was only a year old.

thanks for the heads up -- I've never had any problems with any of their heaters before (I have them in all 3 of my other tanks) but I'll keep my eye on this one.

thanks for the heads up -- I've never had any problems with any of their heaters before (I have them in all 3 of my other tanks) but I'll keep my eye on this one.

If you pay for shipping I'll send you a couple of zoa frags to get you started.

PM me if you are interested. Shipping should be about $5 to $6.

the green ones aren't doing all that well --

lemonlime_zoa01.jpg

the girl I got them from said if they don't get better she'll send me another frag.

finally got my digital specific gravity/salinity meter today

my water tested out to 1.023 :) so it seems my tank is right where it needs to be so far.

Today is also water change day, gonna try and suck some of the detrius off the black sand while I'm at it.

irishtexan

The opened zoo looks really neat. But some of the zoo's look like they are cruched up. Hope everything works out.

texan

p.s When are you planning on adding more frags?

I'll add more frags when I get them next week :)

as for the green ones - yeah it looks like transit was a bit harsh on them (and now my hermit with vertical yellow striped legs has been picking at some of the polyps)

irishtexan

Ok. Yeah the shipping didn't go very well for them. If the hermit is picking at some the crushed ones then they might be dead. So what frags are you getting?

texan

My mini-aqualight showed up today so I decided to try and modify the stock hood to accept the new lighting.

It's still in the 'heat testing phase' to make sure I'm not going to melt down the office this weekend, but here's some pics of the finished product.

100_1598%20(Medium).JPG

100_1599%20(Medium).JPG

100_1600%20(Medium).JPG

and a FTS with the new lights on

100_1597%20(Medium).JPG

Archived