Cultivated Reef

Starting my 3G Pico!

Argent

Fishfreak218

wow! it looks alot better with the new lights.. and i bet your hitchhiker zoanthid will be alot happier.. it might even color up

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah I'm impressed so far -- heat is still my biggest concern now though :( the lights came in a metal hood -- I bascially bolted it to the plastic hood but I used a spare nut between the lights and the plastic hood to help with airflow around the whole thing. The nuts on the outside are really warm to the touch -- I might have to invest in a small desk fan to sit next to it.

irishtexan

Wow! Those new lights make the tank look really good. You could get a desk fan that would sit on your desk, or you could wire up a computer fan and mount it in the hood. I have heard it's really easy to do. Someone else should be able to help cause I have never done it myself. Good job with the hood by the way.

texan

p.s What frags are you getting?

p.s What frags are you getting?

The next frags I'm getting are 'mystery' frags -- someone is sending me several different kinds next week to help populate my tank. As soon as I can, I'll get pics of them up.

I've got a small desk fan that I might put up there just to get me through the weekend while I look for something smaller.

irishtexan

Sounds good. Cant wait to see the mystery frags :o lol

Yeah the desk fan should get you through the weekend.

irishtexan

Hmmm -- I'm a victim of evaporation finally -- apparently the combo of my new lights and the fan I left blowing on the tank as a precaution -- caused my water levels to be 1" lower than normal. Hopefully everything survived -- I topped off with RODI when I came in. Bad news is that my green zoa frag appears to only have 1 polyp that survived -- and my hermits had 'rearranged' the red zoa frag to the bottom of the tank. I'll get pics up once the lights come up.

irishtexan

So the hemits ate all the dead parts of the green zoo's? So when are you getting the new frags? Good Luck! If I were you I would remove the green zoa polyp off that rock it's on and glue it to a different one. Then you can just remove the rock. Just my .02

texan

p.s check into an auto top-off. You can make one yourself by just using a 2gallon container, rigid tubing and attach the tubing to the buttom of the container. Then you can tie the tubing to slow the flow of the water. Hope this helps. Also, check out doncb pico. He made an auto top off using his hob filter. Here's a link:Doncb's auto top off unit

yeah I was thinking of moving that poor lonley polyp to another rock -- maybe he'd like to hang out with my brown hitchiker zoa -- just to get that rock out of the tank. I will hopefully be getting 4 more frags this week to put in there and maybe one of them would like to share with this lonley guy. Otherwise it could wait until the replacement frag I'm getting with more of the same ones.

And to answer your earlier question texan about what my new frags are going to be --

Fire and ice

Blowpops

Orange skirt with green mouth zoas

Green skirt with green mouth

:D

irishtexan

Awesome! Cannot wait to see them. Do you know how many polyps of each you are getting? I would move the one green polyp to a new rock because when the new zoo's come you should fill in some of the other parts of the tank. Just my .02.

texan

p.s. You will have to post pics right when you get them!

yeah I plan to hit up Home Depot for some aquamend so I can start attaching frags to rocks (and probably rocks to rocks so they don't fall over when the hermits climb over them)

just need to figure out where Home Depot hides the stuff...

irishtexan

^^^^at HD. Sorry about that. Will you get the frags like the later part of this week or middle?

texan

irishtexan

That's so exciting! So did you decide to do all zoo's? That would be so cool when all the zoo's fill in. Also, how are the lights working out? Are the zoo's you already have still have bright coloration?

texan

I've re-aquascaped a bit -- and removed a couple pieces of LR. Once I get some aquamend, I plan on sticking some of LR together to so it looks better than just a pile of rocks. I've also moved teh red zoas down some but only a few have opened up (probably still stressed because they get knocked over daily by my hermits) and I've only got one green zoa left ATM -- and he hasn't opened up in the last day or so -- usually because the hermits are climbing over it to eat the dead polyps. I reallllllly need to get to Home Depot today and pick up some aquamend.

irishtexan

Sounds good. Yes it would be good to glue the rocks in a better position so there is more room for the zoo's to spread. Can't wait to see the new zoo's! Hope your zoo's open up. It is very important that you glue the frags to the rockwork so the hermit don't cause alot of damage.

texan

p.s post pics of rockwork and zoo's(when you get them)

SeaMonster

Trops and cichlids...you sound like me...lol

Wonderful looking tank Argent. I traded my Eclipse 3 and some other things to start the rimless pico I have now. I really like how creative you got with the #3 and what you have done with it so far.

Thanks for the compliments -- I'm going to try and get some aquamend at HD tonight and then re-aquascape my rocks (already removed a couple) and 'glue' them in place as well as sticking my zoa frag to the rock (damn hermits keep pushing it over) So far the mini aqualight + the eclipse canopy hasn't caused any heat issues - I haven't been running the fan either (I think that's where all my evap came from over the weekend)

Assuming I do get some aquamend tonight I'll bring my camera tomorrow to take yet again some new FTS's with the re-aquascaped live rock.

and yeah the trops are actually my GF's (she stocked it -- I just 'keep' it at my place - was trying to get her involved in the hobby) and the cichlids were because I was bored of trops -- the tank is too small for the couple I have though. I'd love to set up a pico reef at home (GF thinks I'm crazy obcessed with aquariums - I have a JBJ 12OG nano and the custom lighting to go with it but don't want to deal with the custom wiring job etc to get it to work.) but I also have 2 cats that I'd have to contend with.

woo woo -- I'll make sure to bring my camera with me on Thursday then. I also picked up some Aquamend today as well so I can re-aquascape the tank in preparation for the new frags!

*does the happy dance*

Archived