Innovative Marine Aquariums

Starting my 3G Pico!

Argent

Are you using the stock filter at all? If not, you could retro a couple of screw-in 20W PC's in there. One in the original bulb location and one on the lid to the hood.

That's if the structure is similar to my Eclipse® 12.

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

nope I ditched the stock pump/filter setup and really don't want to fabricate any sort of custom lighting (that's why I'm selling my JBJ NanoCube 12OG I bought the 2x24 PC retro upgrade and after I got it have decided I don't want to deal with the hassel of doing something custom with it)

irishtexan

So have you tested your water? If so what are the results. It should be almost time for a clean up crew.

texan

yeah tested again today and got the same results as last Thursday..

PH: 8-8.1 (it's like halfway between the colors)

Ammonia: 0 ppm

Nitrite: 0 ppm

Nitrate: 20 ppm

I did notice I'm starting to get the creeping brown diatom now too! I'm thinking my clean up crew will be added this week. My little zoa has also perked right up and it's skirt is growing out longer. I'll get new pics when I get the cleaning crew in there (either tomorrow or thursday)

irishtexan

Thats cool! Yeah seems like the tank is almost done cycling because the zoa is getting happier. Will be waiting for new pics! Coming along great so far, and I can't wait to see it finished.

texan

Heading out today at lunch for some hermits and snails -- but I figured I'd post up a pic of my happy lil zoa that hitchiked in to my tank!

100_1521%20(Medium).JPG

3 blue legged hermits (one actually doesn't look like it has blue legs) and 3 astrea snails

and new pics! :D

Picture%20254%20(Medium).jpg

Picture%20255%20(Medium).jpg

Picture%20256%20(Medium).jpg

Picture%20257%20(Medium).jpg

Picture%20258%20(Medium).jpg

Picture%20259%20(Medium).jpg

If I could upgrade the lighting without major modifications to the stock hood -- then I might (ie new lighting unit that will pretty much bolt right up in place of the existing one no wiring needed, and has a splash guard) -- as far as corals -- not sure what I can keep under stock lighting.

irishtexan

Seems like the zoo is happy. You might be able to keep some zoo's and shrooms. Remember you could also keep some non-photosythic corals like sun coral.

texan

hmm don't really like the way shrooms look -- maybe I'll try my hand at some more zoa's. Trying to keep this tank as low effort as possible since it sits at my desk at work and will have to survive the weekends without attention (the lights are on a timer so it still has it's daylight cycles)

irishtexan

That would be really cool if you did all zoo's and you could have a like a zoo garden. And hey, it would look really cool and easy to take care of, and doesnt require much light.

texan

that sounds like a cool idea! the only other critter I plan to add is a cleaner shrimp (and maybe a few more lil hermits -- I love those guys)

irishtexan

Yeah a cleaner shrimp would be cool! Keep us updated on progress. How much longer ti'll you will be able to add more life.

texan

hmm as soon as I can find some nice zoa frags I can probably start slowly adding them -- other than that -- it'll be when I get paid again and can buy some other stuff.

irishtexan

Sounds good! Will be waiting to see some new frags. When you get new stuff make sure to post pics.

texan

Of course! I love taking pics! (you should see how many I have of my two cats) -- Also irishtexan, I appreciate your interest in my tank :)

*can't believe this post has over 1000 views and it's just basically you and I chatting hehe*

irishtexan

I'll be waiting for the pics! I think your tank is awesome, and your rockwork is really nice. Maybe everyone else loves your tank soooo much that they are speachless! :o

texan :P

I've put my heater back in the tank (it would be as low as 70 in the tank when I'd get to work in the morning) now it's staying around 80-82.

Also couldn't figure out why my snails and hermits piled on top of each other at the highest point of my rockwork and just sat there -- well apparently my water flow was a bit much -- so I dialed down the current and now they are wandering all around the tank!

not yet -- but I have a local reefer with some zoa colonys he's willing to frag 3-4 polyps off for me to help me start the tank (some nice lime green ones and some red zombie eyes) Also a LFS is having a sale on inverts so I might pick up some more hermits (maybe red legged ones if they have any) and possibly a small cleaner shrimp as well.

irishtexan

Yeah those zoo's would look nice in your tank. If you pick something up for the lfs make sure to post a pic!

texan

Archived