SaltCritters.com

Starting my 3G Pico!

Argent

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Argent,

Not to sound like an ass or anything but would you have more control over your tank @ home?

I know people these days spend more time @ work than home. But fewer things can go wrong (maybe) in a controlled environment, like your house.

I know they shut off the power @ my work on the weekends too.

I has to replace a faulty heater yesterday because my old one was on the blink. The temps kept fluctuating in my 3g to the high 80’s to the high 70’s.

Anyway, good luck.

When you got to work, did you fall to your knees, shake your fists at the sky and yell, "NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO! WWWWHYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!", slump over and sob for twenty minutes, and then get up and sling everything on your desk around the office?

That's what I would have done.

yeah it was something like that schaadrak hehe

I would have more control over the tank on the weekends at home (which is why I set up a 5.5 gallon at home too) and if this tank doesn't recover I'll just stick with the one at home.

JeremyChase
Nooo! Not the PPE! It amazes me that even with a 100% water change bad stuff is still happening in that tank.

Your fellow cultists join you in your day of mourning.

:(

JeremyChase
yeah it was something like that schaadrak hehe

I would have more control over the tank on the weekends at home (which is why I set up a 5.5 gallon at home too) and if this tank doesn't recover I'll just stick with the one at home.

OK.. The zoos look good, and they will be ok; fragable in any case.

I do have to say that your tank was really high in bio-load. Sure, no-fish, but that many corals is really quite a bit.... I can't say that a lower load system would have survived a crash better, but that is my belief. One reason my 3gal wasn't so loaded, I always had a crash in the back of my head.. :(

In any case, just something to think about..

-Jer

nice thing is those two frags are on the same small piece of rock that can easily be moved to my tank at home if I take this tank down.

JeremyChase
nice thing is those two frags are on the same small piece of rock that can easily be moved to my tank at home if I take this tank down.

Yah.. The good news is that the setup of your 5gal would be very straightforward if you took your 3 gallon down..

Heck, when I went from my 3 gal to my 40 gallon it was a lot easier because there was a good amount of established stuff..

Having a tank at work is very fun though!!!!!!

-Jer

Tested the waters today finally....

PH: 7.9

Ammonia: 0.25

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 20

so the water seems to be stabilizing -- but I should probably toss another water change at it.

Three colonies of zoas seem to show some signs of partial life at least so far.

Corals dont add alot by means of the bioload, esp if they are just zoas which argent wasnt feeding to pollute the water. I really dont think the amount of coral in this tank was the cause of its demise--- there are plenty of people who have more corals in a 1 gal successfully.

JeremyChase
Tested the waters today finally....

PH: 7.9

Ammonia: 0.25

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 20

so the water seems to be stabilizing -- but I should probably toss another water change at it.

Three colonies of zoas seem to show some signs of partial life at least so far.

Awesome.. Zoas are tough!!

Why is your PH so low? Also, have you ever tested your source water? What do you use? My tap water has 0.5 Ammonia in it!!!! I agree about a water change, since your NO3 is getting high, but I would do a 50% or even a 25%. At this point a big water change could be more harmful than a small one.

sorry to hijack,

Jeremy,

when you went to your 40 did you acclimate your former livestock at all?

thanks

Brad, don't worry about a hijack.. My 3 gallon had 1 Clown Goby, a couple crabs, shrimp, and corals. I basically filled my 40 gallon up 3/4 of the way and let it run for 12 hours. I had cultured some new LR for it, and put that in during that time. After 12 hours I literally put the entire 3 gallon tank in the 40 gallon, and slowly exchanged water between the two. Over the course of about 30 minutes.

Then I just pulled everything out! The sand made a mess, but everything else went smooth.. No losses..

-Jer

I buy all my saltwater from the LFS (same stuff they use in their display tanks in the store) they can produce 35 gallons of RO and hour with their setup -- it's pretty immense!

I'm out of water again since I only have (3) 1 gallon jugs so I need to go back today or tomorrow to restock and do another gallon water change - and I'll test the waters again Friday before I leave, and I'll leave a fan on the tank over the weekend.

JeremyChase
I buy all my saltwater from the LFS (same stuff they use in their display tanks in the store) they can produce 35 gallons of RO and hour with their setup -- it's pretty immense!

I'm out of water again since I only have (3) 1 gallon jugs so I need to go back today or tomorrow to restock and do another gallon water change - and I'll test the waters again Friday before I leave, and I'll leave a fan on the tank over the weekend.

Good plan.. I got water from my LFS for my 3 gallon for awhile, but driving across boston is a PITA. So, I just got in the habit of making SW from Instant Ocean, and now I'm using Tropical Marine(supposed to be better). And now that my water changes are 5 gallons I really need to be able to mix it at my place! Have you checked out my new tank's thread? Check my sig..

Leaving a fan on it is a great idea; are you going to have it over the water's surface or the side of the tank? Also, you never commented, do you know if the power had gone out or not? Was your computer rebooted on Monday morning?

-Jer

We didn't lose power -- my clock on my desk hadn't reset -- plus I have the tanks power strip plugged in to my battery backup anyway :P

Perks of being an IT Geek.

I am so not suprised. When I am at school I dont have to worry about it bc I go to an engineering school where we generate our own electricty, but at home when the power flickers I get very worked up. But with all the junk in my tank I dont think a battery backup could support it for more than 3 mins anway! :P

JeremyChase
I am so not suprised. When I am at school I dont have to worry about it bc I go to an engineering school where we generate our own electricty, but at home when the power flickers I get very worked up. But with all the junk in my tank I dont think a battery backup could support it for more than 3 mins anway! :P

hehe, You'd be surprised.. A computer uses a lot of power! I have a UPS that needs a new battery; when I get unlazy I'm going to put it on my tank. But I'm not going to plug everything in; just one of the powerheads(the one that circulates 360 degrees).

A computer with a monitor can easily use 300 watts; a medium size powerhead is only 8 or so. If a 650 VAH UPS can run a computer for 30 minutes you'd be able to run a single 8 watt for a long time.. (I tried to do the math but can't figure it out; suffice to say hours!)

-Jer

We didn't lose power -- my clock on my desk hadn't reset -- plus I have the tanks power strip plugged in to my battery backup anyway :P

Perks of being an IT Geek.

Just a thought..but have you tested your battery back up unit? In other words unplug from the outlet and check to see if it is actually powering your aqua equipment. I read in another thread that most UPC's do not send out the correct type of AC power to run most pump motors correctly and that they are quite limited to the amount of amperage they can supply. Is your clock also on the same power strip or can you ask someone in maintenance if the electricity had to be turned off for any reason last weekend?

Man Zoanthids are pretty hardy, I received my first frags of Zoa over a week and a half ago and they endured a temp increase during delivery that I was worried about (22 hour trip via UPS in the state of Texas bag temp upon delivery 91F and that was with one ice pack and Styrofoam lined box). However, the seller assured me they are hardy and the most important thing to do is slowly raise the temperature so as not to shock them and they should be fine (frags were tripled bag and my tank temp is 81F so I left them float for 1.5 hours and then dripped them for 2 hours). Well out of six frags and about 50-60 polyps, 5 frags have made it and I have about 41 polyps surviving.

BTW I have really enjoyed reading your tank thread and watching the excitement especially from Tex. I wish you the best of luck getting this tank back in order and look forward to seeing how things turn out. Have you started a new thread for you 5 gallon?

Thomas

A computer with a monitor can easily use 300 watts; a medium size powerhead is only 8 or so. If a 650 VAH UPS can run a computer for 30 minutes you'd be able to run a single 8 watt for a long time.. (I tried to do the math but can't figure it out; suffice to say hours!)

-Jer

I came up with around 18 hours (300W @ 30min. = 150W.Hrs per 8W = 18.75hrs; I think that's right)

Oh god I feel just beyond sick after reading what happened, I'm so sorry. I picked up my frag from Jeff tonight and was hoping to bump into you to thank you in person for the inspiration, I wish I had some frags to offer but as you know I only just started myself the past few weeks.

Best of luck, I'll be sure to read up on the 5g thread.

Candi

Thanks Candi -- I got there about 7:45ish -- someone was just leaving but waynesreef was still inside. Would have been there earlier but I got out of work in Novi and needed to kill a few hours so I went to see Miami Vice. there are maybe three of my colonies that might survive.

I regret to inform everyone that the 3 gallon tank as far as keeping anything in it other than hermits is over. This morning when I came in the tank was yet again had a water temperature of over 90. The buildings AC isn't on all weekend and with these overly hot weekends we've had the poor tank can't keep cool. Whatever hasn't died has started bleaching - with the cycle finished on my 5.5 gallon at home now, I am going to try and take the remaining three colonies that are holding on and transplant them in there and see if they will recover. This has been a rather sad moment, and as much as I love this tank, the office environment isn't the place for it. Perhaps I'll move it back home and set it up there as well -- but for now I don't know what I'm going to do with it.

Thanks for everyone's support and interest in this tank - I had lots of fun with it - and I look forward to keeping my 5.5G at home.

Archived