Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Starting my 3G Pico!

Argent

Been reading your experiences for a few hours, lol....new saltwater aquarium, first timer. Started with Dwarf seahorses in a 3 gallon Picotope. As you might imagine, any help is appreciated. Love your tank. Whylde

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah yeah yeah -- well my new frag doesn't want to be friendly today -- I can take a pic of them all closed up just to appease you guys :P

Yeah I am going to start calling your tank "Argent's Tank Full of Unfriendly Beasts"

Here is the list of creatures in there who tend to be less than smiley:

- killer hermit

- zoas killed by killer hermit

- zoas that arrived DOA

- zoas you got yesterday

- crabman

Did I miss anything! :D

hehehe -- the new frag isn't very happy because for the last 24 hours my hermits have been all over the rock it came on.

But -- here are a couple pics.

100_1732%20(Medium).JPG

100_1733%20(Medium).JPG

Fishfreak218

i think its time for something besides zoanthids...

mushrooms, Green Star Polyps, Xenia, toadstool mushroom... c'mon.. lets get some diversity lol

I have to vote in agreement. That or you need the rock structure to be higher. I think if it was taller in the back it would look cool.

I'm not a big fan of xenia, and I do have one shroom (purple/green disc just to the lower left of the powerhead)

and I happen to like zoas and their many color morphs -- but if anyone happens to have some green star polyps they'd like to donate a frag of I'll put it in my tank.

I'm not a big fan of xenia, and I do have one shroom (purple/green disc just to the lower left of the powerhead)

and I happen to like zoas and their many color morphs -- but if anyone happens to have some green star polyps they'd like to donate a frag of I'll put it in my tank.

say no to green star polyp...It will take over your tank. lol

Hmmm

Argent's Asylum -- now with S&M!

(what are leathers?)

Here's a wierd thing I spotted my zoas doing -- hope he's ok

insideoutzoa.jpg

Are those different than the regular red/white cleaner shrimp I see in the LFS? I was told they'd outgrow my tank which is why I went with the porcelain crab instead.

JeremyChase
say no to green star polyp...It will take over your tank. lol
GSP can certainly take over your tank, but under the "low" light in our 3 gal tanks it doesn't grow out of control. My tank has 13w CF 50/50 and 9w CF 7000k; my GSP is about 8 weeks old and has only grown roughly 20%.

i had one and it got really big. the little "whisker" things expanded out a quiet few inches... i wouldnt put one in a 3g either :mellow:
They can live in a 3 gal, but I've seen a cleaner in a 3 gal eclipse; his antenna nearly touch both side walls. He basically takes up the whole tank!

Are those different than the regular red/white cleaner shrimp I see in the LFS? I was told they'd outgrow my tank which is why I went with the porcelain crab instead.
I don't know a darn thing about Pederson Shrimp, but WWM says this:

"Periclimenes pedersoni Chace 1958, the Caribbean Anemone Shrimp, Pederson's Shrimp. Should always be kept with Anemone hosts. A great cleaner of fishes, but ships poorly."

-Jeremy

will I need to feed them? The whole purpose of this tank is to keep it simple -- I don't want to make special needs to the tank -- if I need to squirt some particulate food in the water column every 2-3 days I can do it.....so far I haven't fed the tank at all.

Shrimps dont eat much at all. If you put one in there you could put just a few small pieces of flake food in there every few days and they would be happy campers.

Archived