SaltCritters.com

waratah anemone

adinsxq

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

ever since i added a rock of poop brown palythoa, the anemones have been closed up. 1+ weeks so far... should i be nervous?

try removing the poopy brown paly. wait a week and see if there's any changes. you never know what sets things off.

what do you have to lose?

other than all these rare anemones you've carefully reared for the past year or so. move the paly.

Billabong_Fish
Hi guys,

They really are beautiful, i live in Australia, and can find them just down the road in the rock pools :) . There are also some white, and a really nice green variations, however they are different species, but if you could find some of them you could have a some splashes of green :)

Nice pics but.

P.S - to whoever said that "they sux" etc.. if you judge a creature just by its colour then what kind of marine enthusiast are you? pffft....

i live in australia too, and i also see them at rockpools alot. i once kept them when i set up a coldwater tank with just fish that i found at the beach. they would move all-over the place, and have alot of babies.

ok serious problem here guys...

after awhile i began to think that the photos i posted on page 1 (pic )were just badly over saturated, but now i think maybe there's something seriously wrong with the home i'm providing these anemones.

photo of the NEW one (actually labled "red waratah anemone" this time)

DSCN7613.JPG

notice the baby to the right (small red blob) is equally vibrant:

DSCN7617.JPG

maybe it's time to bump down the temperature a few degrees :(

• 2 weeks later...

yes!

the new tank hasn't been finished yet, but it's running. it's a standard 15g with 1/2" insulating foam sheet (home depot) on the bottom, back and sides. eventually i'm going to either add another layer of plywood and a 1/2" acrylic face OR switch to an 18" glass cube instead with 1.5" foam panels/acrylic face. current temperature is 65; i've been lowering the chiller setting one degree each day (1/15 current-usa). the mother beadlet seems to enjoy cooler water... tentacle extension pretty much covers the entire body. the other anemones seem unaffected. the liverock (tonga) also seems fine at 65; white mini brittle stars are still crawling all over the place. i'm still not quite ready for the boulder look.

i need a new pump. the mj900 i'm using is underpowered for both the chiller and the tank. i also need some light (which is why i don't have pictures!).

i need a new pump. the mj900 i'm using is underpowered for both the chiller and the tank.
Mag 3 or Mag 5???? They can be run externally or internally, your choice. Also, Eheim makes a similar pump. It's a bit more pricey, but I've never had a problem with an Eheim product.

Archived