inTank Media Baskets

waratah anemone

adinsxq

i went a little crazy today hunting for babies (tore apart the rockwork). found one very tiny one under one of the rocks; pretty sure it's going to die. found two more in my filter (H.O.T. magnum with carbon). the two in the filter were a little larger than the runt, but kind of squashed. the original's got a hefty lead on the others in terms of size and eats. ive fed it two baby guppies over the past few days

mother must have torn something during the birth... was all slimed over when i got home today. nothing too scary yet; it's happened before when there was some sort of irritant that wouldn't blow off

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply
scarf_ace1981

adinsxq- i remember your tank when you were setting it up. that rock work is killer.

are the anemone the only things in your tank?

adinsxq- i remember your tank when you were setting it up. that rock work is killer.

are the anemone the only things in your tank?

and a 1.5" shrimp that very rarely comes out from hiding

DSCN7344-2.JPG

Hi

kinda off topic but if anyone in norcal is interested in owning a similar anemone, Mann's anemone, Cladactella manni, T&T aquarium has one they're selling. Not as cute as the Waratah SXQ has but very similar and hardy as heck.

additional info is here:

http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/invertebr...ckhianemone.htm

fwiw, I had one once and it was impossible to kill. We dubbed it penis anemone for obvious reasons

RayWhisperer

That Sux Adin.... Me thinks you can't handle those nems..... Tiny and I will take good care of them for ya!

;)

Did you figure out a likely culprit?

• 3 weeks later...

babies are doing ok...feed them either freeze dried cyclopeeze clumps or frozen mysis once a day. they're honestly not nearly as red as the mother; they're more purple-ish. the tank they've been living in has does not have a light over it.. maybe that has something to do with it. whenever i get around ($$) to building a better setup for them, hopefully they'll color up. anyway, i plucked them out (they're all on one rock so it's easy) and put them in the clownfish's tank for a photo:

DSCN7425_.JPG

(pretty much aiptasia i guess :P)

• 2 weeks later...
if they're photosynthetic... i better get a light over that tank. it's been months!

<_<

Wiseguy. I never said they were photosynthetic, save the sarcasm for Mr. Calfo, yeah? :)

Eh, it was some random comment made in response to an email on WWM... unless it's made it into print, I'd take it with a grain of salt. :)

If the babies are still alive and kicking, good on ya - I'm looking at picking a few up myself soon.

I have looked EVERYWHERE for one of these! Adin, are you looking to sell one of them?

Also, if anyone has any for sale please PM me!!!

texx

Archived