Pod Your Reef

waratah anemone

adinsxq

The one ate 2 guppies and a ghost shrimp yesterday [one in the front, the new one I fed while bored at work] The other one in the back just ate today since I didnt have any krill on hand.

I cut the head and tails off and injected the body with cycopleeze :)

They both had 2 pieces of krill today. Yumyumyum

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sounds fun LOL. so you murder an innocent living animal with feelings to feed ONE anemone? would you like it if you were being decapitated and injected with other dead SQUIRRELS!

j/k. try feeding them living guppies and video it! B)

sounds fun LOL. so you murder an innocent living animal with feelings to feed ONE anemone? would you like it if you were being decapitated and injected with other dead SQUIRRELS!

j/k. try feeding them living guppies and video it! B)

Oh wow I realized how bad that sounds. I don't cut the heads off the guppies hahahahaha

I basically turn the krill into a cocktail shrimp and stuff them with cyclo, not the guppies hahaha.

HAHAHA!!!

I forgot you were in Cali.... my tank stays at 70 without the chiller[even colder at night once the reef tank next to it goes dark]! Haha.

is that an NC6? im nagging my dad for one when they come out in britain and then im gettin a waratah! yup im a copy catfish :P or ill just use native animals from the sea :P lotsa lil' green and red beadlets (look v similar) in rockpools.

Im pickign up 12 beadlet anemones in the summer. The beach 1 hour from us has greens, reds,pinks, loads of shrimp, gobies/blennys, hermit crabs. WOOT!

• 1 month later...
Im pickign up 12 beadlet anemones in the summer. The beach 1 hour from us has greens, reds,pinks, loads of shrimp, gobies/blennys, hermit crabs. WOOT!

napoleon_lucky.jpg

alas my waratah are sad

i've rarely fed them in the last 2 months.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't really have anything meaningful to contribute to this thread, but I was wondering if these anemones could be the same type that I saw while in Sydney? (I know waratahs are Australian.) Are they common in the rocky tidepools? There were TONS in the pools that I saw, from the size of a pencil eraser to more than 1" in diameter and they were all the same bright blood red. They're awesome looking! My first thought was "Man, I wonder if I can get one of these..."

It would be so cool to know if those were what I saw!

yes

we're silly americans. we'll buy your beach litter :lol:

Haha, I should have mentioned I'm an American visiting Australia, that's why I thought they were SO cool! We don't have anything that awesome looking in our tidepools! Plus the sheer number of snails and other various forms of life in the rock pools, it was like looking down into dozens of aquariums of varying sizes.

It's really neat to know what I saw there, thank you! :)

firstimereefer

Well it has been awhile since i posted in this thread, but I just found my first waratah baby, boy is it small. Adin I also sent you a pm.

Hey Aaron, Congratulations!

Raising the baby will only be as demanding as you make it. In my experience, I would advise the following:

Minimum Care Options

1. Keep it on a piece of rubble, isolated low in the sandbed. There should be enough micro organisms to keep it sustained until it's large enough to take larger foods.

2 . Using a small pipet, dust the anemone with small foods (Cyclopeeze, frozen rotifers/cyclops, small frozen mysis, baby guppies)

Intensive Care Options

3. Removed feedings - remove the rock with baby attached. Place it in a clean cup and add a storm of particulate food (freeze dried or frozen Cyclopeeze works very well). Once the storm settles, swirl the cup again to re-suspend the food and let the anemone feed. Return the anemone to the tank and if you want, dump the contents of the cup in too.

4. Dedicated tank - A small, dedicated tank. Add freshly hatched baby brine and/or feed daily with a pipet. Change water once a week.

Once the 'nem gets to be about the size of an green pea it will be aggressive enough to take small guppies like its mother. You will see the best growth with more frequent feedings; however, don't worry too much if you miss a week or two. The smaller actinia will find a way to survive.

On a side note, be wary of overly frequent feedings. It may be my imagination, but in the tanks that I dump large amounts of food into, I tend to see a higher food-regurgitation rate. In the tanks that meals are irregular, the anemones seem to relish their prey a little longer.

And in other news, I'm expecting an order of Hawaiian Red Shrimp (Halocaridina rubra) to arrive today from Ocean Rider (seahorse.com). The plan is to move the Jeremai to its own tank with a breeding population of these shrimp. I'm experimenting ... :lol:

The shrimp are EXPENSIVE, have some very attractive attributes.

1. They reproduce easily (slowly) - www.petshrimp.com

2. They stay bite-sized (1.5 cm)

3. They do not have razor sharp claws of destruction (they feed mainly on algae and bacterial film)

We'll see what happens.

Hey Adin do they require alot of light? I noticed someone here has 2 in a nano cube.

no light required.

i saw a couple at "the aquarium" in culver city if you're interested

haha warratah anemones i hav hundreds in my tank lol all decended from 1 initial parent that i got from the rockpools up at the beach down my street!!! if any1 gets them, they are the easiest anemones to keep!!! gday (from australia)

Archived