Top Shelf Aquatics

waratah anemone

adinsxq

I got in a bunch of those white mini brittles with my coldwater shipment, they look exactly the same as the ones in my reef tank... hard to believe, but perhaps they are the same species? :huh:

If not actual boulders, why not the stuff from hirocks.com? I'm using a few pieces of those in addition to what was sent - they're not as perfectly smooth as granite boulders, but not as lacy as live rock. Good compromise.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i cut the foam (1.5") for the new tank (18" cube) this weekend. to get the foam to sit flush against the glass i sliced out a 1/4"x1" border on the top and bottom of each panel to accommodate for the black trim. next i'm going to rubber cement the panels to trim to make the foam-glass interface air tight (and removable if necessary). to finish everything off, i'm thinking of using 1/4" plywood, but i'm not sure yet. the viewing window is about 16"x16". please ignore the junk... i was using this tank to cure a box of rock.

4fyi81c.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
it's just black duct tape.

carefully cut & measured.

DON'T TELL ANYONE K?

Duct Tape OWNS, it can fix anything, one time chuck norris roundhouse kicked me in the face and my head fell off and my dad duct tapped it back together. Anyways, nice Anenome, reminds me of a RBTA, BUT BETTER.

-Samoyed

35mkv1i.jpg

after a hearty 1cm section of a silverside (this one's yours btw... just as soon as it gives birth :rolleyes:)

i'm starting to think that maybe it's something they eat that keeps them such bright red in the wild... maybe similar to flesh color for salmon?

Could be, although they are opportunistic feeders - the only thing I could see there being enough of in the water to be relied on for coloration would be krill. Maybe I'll try some Euphasia superba when the Formula 1 runs out.

Could be, although they are opportunistic feeders - the only thing I could see there being enough of in the water to be relied on for coloration would be krill. Maybe I'll try some Euphasia superba when the Formula 1 runs out.

frozen or live?

once the black box is finished i'm going to get either

Halocaridina rubra

http://seahorse.com/shop/index.php?main_pa...;products_id=97

or

Penaeus vannamei

http://seawaterexpress.com/products/viewprod.php?prodId=4

but more likely the reds. although more expensive, they can be cultured (reproduce easier and don't eat each other) and are more interesting. the plan is to keep a breeding population in a spare 15g and a smaller "live prey" population in the tank. it's fun and all, hand feeding each non-photosynthetic anemone everyday... but it's becoming a PITA. hopefully i can cut it down to silversides once a week or so this way.

either way...VERY COOL, good thing i bought it lol, care wise is it similar to the waratah? it will be setup in a 10G tank and the temp wont get above 70

if they're the same species as mine, i treat them the same way. low light, heavy feeding, unheated tank... about 70F. they haven't reproduced for me yet. (too chicken to slice) like Actinia, they're very sticky. is yours bumpy?

not to sure, i will post pics in here when it comes in thursday, also going to start up another thread, im going to do frequent water changes untill i can see if saphire aquatics can make me a hang on back skimmer for me, do you think 80W over a 10G will be too much?

frozen or live?

Frozen, probably. Although the reds you linked to look promising... The shrimp sure do have a low doubling time, though - 6-8 offspring every couple months? Low numbers compared to other small shrimp species. Good thing you can pack 'em in.

Most Urticinas (and I imagine other intertidal species as well, like Actinias) feed primarily on crustaceans. U. piscivora feeds on fish (obviously), but most other species have been shown feeding on whole crabs, shrimp, etc. Perhaps your silversides aren't the best of fare. :)

so what would be something to suggest? i know this sounds weird or maybe just stupid but fresh shrimp is a opaque white, while when you cook it it turns the whitish orange color, could feeding the cooked shrimp and/or krill be a good thing to feed to them, i wish i would of bought the second one so that i can save on shipping and tested out this theory, one gets krill and other redish meaty foods, and the other would be fed plain food such as silversides

Well, my suggestion would be crustaceans - shrimp, crab, or a prepared frozen food with these as main ingredients. I bet frozen Cyclo-Peeze would work well.

The color of shrimp depends on many factors, but most vary from clear to pink to red. I doubt cooking would have any positive effect on nutrition or coloration.

well guys i just got it in and its real small, only about the size of a nickle, im going to be putting it in an mini bow 7 for now, with a 10W 50/50 bulb over it, that should be more then enough lighting

Archived