Cultivated Reef

Current USA "Fission" Nanoskimmer

ccjung

Yummy! :) This is mine after a week of dumping the collection cup every two or so days. Pretty nasty stuff!

EEEeeewwww!

Still, I would expect more sludge after a weeks time. Is it because you change your water pretty regular? Is it the design of the skimmer itself that has some room for improvement?

So, Whats it taste like?

No skimmer beats the Liver!

:P

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

holy crap thats dark! How often do you feed your tank?!?!? lol! The best mine can do is a greenish yellow liquid with some small chunks of waste floating around...which is fine for me.

holy crap thats dark! How often do you feed your tank?!?!? lol! The best mine can do is a greenish yellow liquid with some small chunks of waste floating around...which is fine for me.

I feed once a day, and i spot feed my LPS's like 2 times a week. I've had a problem with cyano in the past so im ver careful about it.

sweet..... what do you have this in?

its in my 12g DX w\ 96W PC's housing a clown and a Goldentail Comb-tooth Blenny. I tend to have to feed a lot because my pig clown eats all the food. I usually have to wait until hes full, then feed the Blenny.

I placed an order the other day for some dry goods, so I added one of these to the shopping list. Seems I got a cracked elbow. Not too happy about that. Who was the guy we were supposed to email about those?

I plane on moving the rubble I have in chamber 1 of my 24dx and putting this in there. I hope this will help with some of the cyno/diatom problems I have been having. Eventually I may turn chamber 2 into a refugium type place with some macro and a palm light from the back. I will post some pics once I get the elbow replaced and it installed.

I did check the air intake line where it meets the pump. Seems to allow air to pass but I wonder if it may have gotten some adhesive in the line. once it gets going I wil know better. Anyone know where to get air line that small? I doubt that is something the LFS would carry.

Thanks

Yeah was just curious where to get it if later on down the road if I wanted to get a longer section. Main thing is to get my elbow replaced so I can fire this little thing up.

OMFG polyp extention has increased because of this thing...it seems my ph has also stabilized at 8.0-8.1....morning and night. I run the skimmer 24/7 and is a great deal for the $$.

Also switching to tropic marin pro reef salt seems to have helped coral growth without a doubt along with the skimmer.

Any more verdicts on how good this product is? Only saw one person say they gave up on it. Are they still shipping cracked elbows? I would think that they would have solved that problem by now. I cant say that delivery of anything cracked leads those of us contemplating on buying the skimmer, rushing to our computers with our credit cards in hand. Are they planning on fixing this problem prior to shipping future orders? Dont want to sound like a sour puss but even if it is less than $30, dont feel like jury-riggin something with zip-ties right out of the box should be necessary.

Keep the posts coming. Looking to get one after the new year if the comments continue to be good. Thanks all!

It is wierd on the cracked elbows though. I ordered mine and it had one cracked elbow. The other was completely fine. The wider portion of the elbow is where the cracks were. They were almost like micro cracks. Sorry I am at work and don't have it in front of me. I plan on getting some pics on Monday. But I don't think it is shipping that is causing the damage. The box was very well packaged. Not sure what is causing them. But it seems the Current USA is resolving the issue quickly. I have sent an email in today and will see how they respond.

Despite the cracked elbow I am looking forward to using this skimmer. Seems well thought out. Obviously I will post more on my experience as I get to use it.

I cant get mine high enough out of the water to work right because my DX Nano has the plastic light cover that takes up the entire lid. Besides finding a way to lower the water level in the rear compartments, what are my other options? Maybe hole sawing an are for it to recess into? I would have plenty of room if that area of the light cover that does nothing wasn't there. That part of it doesn't cover any of the lights anyway.

klc317 are you using some type of surface skimmer like a Nano skim or the cassette skimmer mod. Using one of these will lower the water level in the sump area and give you some clearence.

I know this is worth the money but wouldnt a "nan" reef benifit more from a more often water change then a skimmer. That is the darkest skimmet I have ever seem anybody easle have a pic of it?

Update on my broken elbows. Just got an email from Current USA stating new elbow will ship on Monday. Exciting news and suprising. 24 hour email turn around on a weekend. That is fantastic in my opinion. So will uspate more when they arrive.

What do you people think about the skimmer? Good, bad? I'm thinking of purchasing one for my 24 nano cube, but wanted to get some reviews about it first. Anything that i should know before i purchase this product?

Although it may benefit a 24 g, the website says that it is for tanks up to 12 g. Maybe you should think about getting two. From what everyone is saying, they are quite small...

here is a shot of the skimmate from the skimmerpost-10445-1134962993_thumb.jpg

here is a shot where u can see the skimmer in the first chamber of on original NC12

with no modification to the cube itself. The skimmer could sit lower, but i wanted to have it sit higher so i could utilize the self-draining outlet.post-10445-1134963085_thumb.jpg

that first shot does make the skimmate look weak....it is really more of the color as in the second picture..I do have a VERY low bioload to boot too, so Im surprised it even sucked that out...thanks for the compliment though :)

yes

You took the hood off? I thought you got it fit with the hood down.

What I' am trying to do is have it in the first chamber only because my Ref. is in the second chamber. Do you have any suggestion of modifying to get it fit in the frst chamber?

can anyone post a picture on how they have this mounted in the back of a 24dx? I was dry fitting mine, while I wait for my new elbow, and I don't see how this fits without removing the intake grill. The picture shows the pump mounted side ways with the grill pointing outwards. The skimmer tube in on top. This is how it will fit. If you point the intake grill down the elbows are not long enough to make the skimmer sit on top of the pump. So the width of the unit would be shallower this way. Because of the intake grill it does not fit into my chambers.

Obvously an easy fix is to get//fabricate new elbows to make them longer. Allowing you to mount the skimmer on top of the pump with the intak grill pointing down. This will give you a slimmer profile and allow it to slide in.

Maybe I am missing something here. Anyone have an idea?

I spent quite a while playing with it in my 24DX. If you connect the pump directly to the skimmer body, it will fit in chamber 1. However, it isn't quite wide enough to fit really snug, and when you adjust it up & down the parts are likely to come loose from each other. It is a real PITA.

I am going to find some way to mount them inline, with the intake pointing down... I'll attach the bottom of the skimmer to the end of the pump, and figure out some kind of hose or elbows for the flow. I'm also going to use the provided hanger on the bulkhead between chamber 1 and 2. Suction cups are for the birds.

Unfortunately I managed to damage the electrical cord on the pump during my fitting... tried to pull it through the crowded cord port and tore the outer insulation. I will have to fix that with a watertight seal, and Dremel out a bigger cord port before I get this up and running. (Or purchase a new pump -- but I cannot find the Azoo 400 online.)

Once I have it running I am going to look at abandoning the clip-on and rigging a float for it. Since skimmers are sensitive to the water level it seems like a skimmer that floats in chamber 1 would be a good thing if you don't have ATO. There might be just enough room in chamber 1 to make that happen.

Archived