Top Shelf Aquatics

Current USA "Fission" Nanoskimmer

ccjung

HorseFlesh thanks for your input. It does seem like a PITA but if you can get it in there and it works I am sure it will be worth it. One thing that might work is to make a hanger out of acrylic and suction cup/ mount it to that. And use that to get it in and out and adjust for water level. That was sort of my plan once I get a good spot for it. I may end up fabricating something to extend the space between the two elbows so I can mount the pump right under the skimmer. Will snap some pics once I get something figured out.

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pinoy_Fish_Dude

Hey guys, bare with me now. I'm not sure if someone already asked this or not. I know people will say to look at the previous pages but it's just too long to read at one time. My real question is i have the Current USA "Fission" Nanoskimmer and a NC 12DX, But the thing is up and running yet. I was going to start on it this weekend. Should i run the skimmer when i first start up the tank for cycling or should i wait later on? Any help would be great.

I would say go for it. It probably won't help much (maybe a little if your live rock isn't cured well yet) but at least the skimmer can get a head start breaking in thereby reducing the microbubbles and increasing the skimming effectivness once you start stocking the tank.

here is a shot of the skimmate from the skimmerpost-10445-1134962993_thumb.jpg

here is a shot where u can see the skimmer in the first chamber of on original NC12

with no modification to the cube itself. The skimmer could sit lower, but i wanted to have it sit higher so i could utilize the self-draining outlet.post-10445-1134963085_thumb.jpg

Is that a clam on the bottom?

yup

some news about the skimmer...so apparently the little pads that come with the skimmer only work for about 3 weeks or so. you can clean them out, but only twice, then they basically fall apart and let a dump-load of bubbles into the tank that no sponge will seem to control. Also, my little jar was FILLED with water because the pad was clogged. SO, it seems that i will have to replace my pads every 3 weeks which stinks.

I have not recieved my elbow yet but I did plug the pump straight into the skimmer and stuck it in. It has been in there for about 3 days. The first day I had to empty the cup twice. This wasn't skimmate, very clear but there was a few chunks in it. The 2nd day I emptied it once but it was the same. The foam never got the to top of the riser tube. The stuff in the cup was the "fizz" effect of the bubbles breaking. Since the cup is so small it doesn't take much to fill it up.

Today I just checked it. The cup was full again but it had stopped making bubbles. So I blew into the line and bubbles appeared, then they went away. The line does not seemed clogged just not sucking any air in. This is quite disappointing. I am going to wait for the elbow to show up so I can get it mounted on a plexi hanger. The suction cups don't seem to hold it straight. It had a lot of wobble room. I may need to pull the line out and reglue it to make sure there is no obstruction. Seems clear though.

The line is kinda short for my taste. Anyone know where to buy more of that tiny hose?

Thanks

Got mine a few days ago the elbows are cracked. I have decided to put it on a 5.5 I will be setting up. 8lbs of nano rock due tomorrow from PA.

I bought two with cracks before deciding not to buy another one.

HAHAH out of stock until after christmas? damn....

I got one brand new in the box in perfect condition if anyone is interested.

I got it for my brother for xmas, but he decided to upgrade his tank to a larger system.

so I got my skimmer today..yet...I'm having the same problem as a few others...no bubbles..and my airline isn't clogged! anything other than the airline..should I be looking at? I've adjusted the water level like crazy..I've adjusted knobs...and nothing...water is going through the skimmer...but no foam or anything..basically the water is being whirled around in it...that's it! any advice is greatly appreciated! Erin :bowdown:

Hunter when I checked my airline it didn't seem clogged but after I pulled it out I found it was clogged about a 1/4 inch up. I snipped it and reglued it. Seems to have better airflow. I didn't test it yet. Waiting for my elbow. Also in the lowest setting i think the flow control covers the line. that might be it too.

Had mine in now for about 2 weeks. Constantly having to adjust the elevation, and when the foam pad gets clodded up the cup just fills with water.

1.In my opinion, the cup is way to small.

2.It's a PITA to adjust

3.Too many microbubbles

I would not buy this again based upon my own experience.

brent-konieczny

I am not dissapointed with a small cup. It was designed like that so it could fit small nano aquariums. I use the drain hole and it empties fine. As far as adjusting, I haven't moved it up and down because no matter where you put it, the pump forces the water up to an acceptable level in the skimmer. (This may be different in my instance because I'm not using elbows.) I have conistently been getting medium yellow/slightly green skimmate, at least not very wet. I turned the pump flow down all the way today to see if I can get a little dryer skim. I've abandoned elbows due to space. It is probably to my disadvantage because they help the bubbles have longer reaction times.

I have taken my Fission skimmer out, there is really no way to get around the Microbubbles unless you put a sponge in a later section to keep them from getting back to the display.

The skimmer is very difficult to adjust b/c it evaporates water so quickly.

My tank looked much worse with my skimmer in the tank, especially my candy canes and blastos.

has anyone been able to get the skimmer into the back of the 12 gallon aquapod yet? Someone I know can't seem to get it to fit into any of the 4 back chambers.

thanks

for those with air flow problems i would suggest that you get rid of the airline all together and do a little diy. I too like most of you guys had the same problem and then tried to fix it by cutting it off and reseating the tube, worked ok and then a day later it clogged up, i got fed up with it and just drilled out the hole of the pump and stuck in a regular airline in it with an adjustment valve on the end, and WOW!!! i got the perfect micro bubbles, the whole skimmer is clouded white of micro bubbles and the control of the valves can shut it off completely. On another note i was playing around with the idea of when i run of of those filters, im going to seal the output grills shut and then pop the cap from the very bottom open, from the looks of the design you can force the water down the center shaft and out the bottom, while letting the microbubbles collect at the top this would allow for less microbubbles to escape i think, anyone think this would work?

-Jon

Man, from all the negative things being said about this skimmer, I must admit, I find it hard to believe that all these problems can’t be solved with some TLC. I have had absolutely no problems with mine.... It’s been pulling out very nice skimmate, gets darker and darker every day. I have very few micro bubbles. I think it’s almost impossible to get this working without any bubbles considering how small the tanks we use it in are. For a problem free skimmer, it needs to have a very steady water level, and some time to break in! Just set and forget it, lmao.. I tested it for about an hour getting my level perfect, then top it water off everyday. Its not that difficult. So what if there’s a few bubbles in the tank, I feel a lot better knowing there’s a skimmer in the tank then seeing a few bubbles every now and then....

I agree, I've had mine up for 24 hours now and am getting continually darker skimmate. Micro bubbles weren't an issue. It starts off as a more wet skimmate but is slowing down to more of a frothy foam. My corals look much happier after just the small amount of time with the skimmer. I think people are expecting a little too much out of this small skimmer.

tks for your thoughts reefwix, xsamx.

ive been contemplating getting one but backed off for now bec of the initial concerns. i wonder if some that got this skimmer ever even had a skimmer before. bec even with my bakpak, it takes over a week before i see good skimmate.

my question to you guys is how often do you have to dump out your skimmer cup?>

also did you have to make any changes to the skimmer? or just placed it in the nc.

i currently have my skimmer set where the bubbles crest about 1/4 of an inch from the rim, and my skimmer cup fills up really quick. i usually empty it out 2 times a day sometimes more. HTH

-Jon

i currently have my skimmer set where the bubbles crest about 1/4 of an inch from the rim, and my skimmer cup fills up really quick. i usually empty it out 2 times a day sometimes more. HTH

-Jon

I think if you are having to empty it that often, you are skimming too wet.

do you have any pics of your DIY Asiankidd? I was thinking of cutting the airline tube as well...but I don't wanna till I see what someone else has in place of it! :happy: Erin

I just assembled it as the directions said and placed it in chamber #1 (the overflow). It wasn't hard to fit in the or anything, all i had to do was tilt it slightly to the side and it slid right in (then I straightened it out). The first day I had to empty the cup a few times until I re-read the instructions and placed it at the optimal water level. The skimmate continues to get darker and I am less frequently having to empty the collection cup. I'm telling you I really like this thing alot. A great addition IMO.

Archived