Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Current USA "Fission" Nanoskimmer

ccjung

mines going in the trash. Good try with the design, but if it don't work..it just don't work! We all knew there was no gaurantees when we ordered them. You know the saying...."If it sounds to good to be true..It probably is"

Props to Chris for comming through with an viable option to a big problem. If it cost $100...then I would have been ###ed!

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any word on the mini remora? Pictures? Info?

It seems the only way to run a skimmer on these nano's is to do a sump below them with the skimmer in there. I feel though if people do weekly water changes and do NOT overfeed, they really don't need a skimmer. But I see what they do and I believe they are some good to use. On a larger tank at that rate. But on small ones. Water changes is the way to go. I guess I am waiting to see how the mini remora goes. Seeing how the fission skimmer bombed.

I must admit, this thing is too much trouble for what it is worth. Constant adjustments, cleaning of the filter floss, tube getting lodged with crap and no longer sucking air, microbubbles....and to boot, the skimmate is not all that dark. I pulled mine out this week and said the hell with it.

So what were most using in place of this tiny useless skimmer? Just water changes? I would hate to say it but a normal airstone type skimmer would outperform the fission skimmer... Shame that darn lid fits so snug against the chambers. Really NO room to have a skimmer that would stick up past the rim of the rear chambers...

:(

Shame that darn lid fits so snug against the chambers. Really NO room to have a skimmer that would stick up past the rim of the rear chambers...

:(

Shouldn't be that big of a deal to cut the lid over one of the chambers and install a hang on skimmer. Just waiting for my warranty to end, then I'll try it.

...not to mention the f***ing skimmer almost drained my reef. If the prefilter gets clogged enough, water will start to rise into the collection cup. If you use the drain function with a tube going to a small container, it will fill up. This thing is more of a hassle than a benefit, I hope the nano remora is a bit better.

Shouldn't be that big of a deal to cut the lid over one of the chambers and install a hang on skimmer. Just waiting for my warranty to end, then I'll try it.

Working on it!

I just received my Fission skimmer today as well. It won't even fit in the back of the Aquapod 12. I'm not even going to attempt to mod it. After reading all the various posts about people pulling them out after tinkering and fussing with them, I'm just going to send it back or bounce it off the wall :angry:.

I can keep up with water changes (which I suppose is easier) in my 12 so I should have no need for a skimmer.

You think Current would design this skimmer with the pods in mind. It doesn't seem like they even considered it.

mines going in the trash. Good try with the design, but if it don't work..it just don't work! We all knew there was no gaurantees when we ordered them. You know the saying...."If it sounds to good to be true..It probably is"

Props to Chris for comming through with an viable option to a big problem. If it cost $100...then I would have been ###ed!

Couldn't agree more. I'm going the water change route.

I guess if you buy this after you have read this thread, this will happen to you from me...:slap:...haha

With the :bling: :bling: of buying this skimmer you could have bought yourself a livestock.

If you decide to try it out, you better keep them freaking fingerscrossed.

• 2 weeks later...

After trying this skimmer for a few months, I have determined that it sucks. ;) The skimmate never got very dark and no matter how much I adjusted the pump, the water level, etc., the skimmate never got any darker. On top of that, those stupid spongey rings seemed to get filled with crap pretty quickly, requiring me to constantly swap them out or clean them.

The last straw came tonight. I attached a drainage tube to the skimmer for the skimmate to flow out into a drainage bucket. Well, I got back tonite from an overnight business trip, opened the canopy and found the water level in the back chambers 3/4 drained!!! :o The fission skimmer went nuts and pumped out most of the water in the back chambers into my drainage bucket. :rant:

Go figure, I've had the same set up since late October 2005 and this happens the one time I go out of town.

Luckily, I got back into town just in time to catch this disaster (the drainage bucket was filled to the rim and minutes to flowing over) and was able to pour all the water from the bucket back into the back chambers.

Anyway, I guess I will just have to rely on my weekly water change routine.

For those who have gotten the fission to work well, congrats!

where is ike when you need him? he was around here prior to their release and now when this thing went bottom up hes gone....how about our money back for false advertising? what was all that talk about whipping the water into a vortex of froth skimmate? more like a really expensive air pump. lol DIE SKIMMER DIE!!! hahah

I hope the nano remora is a bit better.

I started a thread about the nano remora over on marinedepot.com/forums. It looks like Aqua-C is still in the testing phase of this product. The folks at marinedepot have been pretty forthcoming with information - they even posted a pic. From what I can gather, it's just a regular Remora cut down to be a little shorter. Too big for my taste. I think I'll just stick with frequent water changes.

what was all that talk about whipping the water into a vortex of froth skimmate?

It's a vortex alright, a vortex that sucked $30 out of your wallet. :slap:

Ok, i have one Fission skimmer in my 12g DX. It is producing no skimmate as far as i can tell. Lots of microbubbles, so im going to switch the sponge and skimmer around. How do you even empty the thing? It keeps bubbling over the top, and i've been using a syringe to empty it. This is just really confusing to me.

Ok, i have one Fission skimmer in my 12g DX. It is producing no skimmate as far as i can tell. Lots of microbubbles, so im going to switch the sponge and skimmer around. How do you even empty the thing? It keeps bubbling over the top, and i've been using a syringe to empty it. This is just really confusing to me.

empty it by throwing it away in the trash....as in the whole skimmer hahah.... but really the top cup pulls off but not before screwing up your skimmer height and forcing you to have to readjust

If anyone has one they are throwing away...I'll buy one (not for much, but I'm a tinkerer...). I would like to see if I could get it working with some mods...but I don't want to waste my money. PM me if you've got one and you can get rid of it! (I would pay like $10 + Shipping for it)

If anyone has one they are throwing away...I'll buy one (not for much, but I'm a tinkerer...). I would like to see if I could get it working with some mods...but I don't want to waste my money. PM me if you've got one and you can get rid of it! (I would pay like $10 + Shipping for it)

i made a few skimmers before, so i know the basics of a good skimmer and even modding this one isnt going to get you any where just because the size it tooo small to efffectively skim, plus the collection cup has that water outlet right under it so it limits the way you can sucessfully mod it, so i would recommend not wasting your time and just build your own skimmer with all the DIY stuff out there.

-Jon

Sup everybody. I took the time to read all 28 pages of this thread, and it took me about an hour to figure out what "OG" means -- I even looked it up on Wikipedia!

Oh well, I'm assuming it means "original"? And that people are having trouble with the 4 chamber original cube because, well, there are just slimmer pieces of the same pie back there.

Anyways, I got the "Fizzy" skimmer at my LFS today, and they were like you are going to have to cut the back of your cube to get it to work. I don't feel like cutting anything, considering the livestock in the tank is too valuable for me to start performing "wet mods."

So what did I do?

I stuck it in the front to see if the darn thing would even work.

Yes I have tons of bubbles, but the fish don't seem to mind. Plus, it gives me an idea of how the thing operates before I cram it in the way back of the tank.

At this point I'm not even sure putting it back there is a possibility... eventho the fission video certainly helps (http://smallreefsolutions.com/FissionVideo.htm), it also requires that you get an additional piece that lowers the water levels in the back of the tank.

My point is this, the fission skimmer is all about water level (once you get it in the water), and I'm not sure it's worth all the work to keep it that steady.

I'm gonna let mine rip for a coupla days in the front of the tank to see what it pulls out, so far it's just a greenish brown ring around the bottom of the cup.

Here are some pics:

post-7452-1140388657_thumb.jpg

post-7452-1140388768_thumb.jpg

Keep in mind, before I installed the fission this afternoon, the top of my tank was covered in a green film. As you can see, I can look right down to the sandbed of the tank now.

All I have to do is get rid of the darn bubbles!

I dunno, I think it looks kinda cool in the front. :wizard:

Yes I have tons of bubbles, but the fish don't seem to mind. Plus, it gives me an idea of how the thing operates before I cram it in the way back of the tank.

My point is this, the fission skimmer is all about water level (once you get it in the water), and I'm not sure it's worth all the work to keep it that steady.

Hi there, and yes OG does mean original, you would have saved time if you just asked, after all that is what we are here for. As for the skimmer your observations are nothing new, we have all tinkered around with the water level, but as you will soon find out, the internal water level is dependent on the flow of water going thru the filter media inside the skimmer, and because it gets clogged so fast, it will restrict the water from comming out and causing the water inside the skimmer to rise. Once that happens your skimmer will overflow. On top of all this your external tank water level is also very important, as that will set the internal water level of the skimmer. But like i said once the filter inside becomes a problem the water level outside becomes less important. When i had mine this would constantly happen in over the course of 2 days. At first it would seem to skim decently but if you come back to in the way you left in in a few days your cup will be filled with just tank water. But anyhoe good luck with it.

-Jon

Archived