Top Shelf Aquatics

Current USA "Fission" Nanoskimmer

ccjung

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just installed mine! No cracked Elbows either! Man, this thing really wips the water around! I just wanted to thank nanoskimguy for the great video on how to install it. Guess i'll be purchasing an ATO soon to keep the water level at the same spot... Cant wait to see some skimmate come out of this thing!

I stopped running mine until I get an ATO. There is just too much fluxuation in the rear chambers for it to be effective. I lose about an inch to an inch and a half per day due to evap. Not to mention a few of my zoos HATE micro bubbles and are not looking so good. :huh:

Bob

I agree with nanobob. The two sponges in the second chamber help but not enough, my GSP's really hate the microbubbles. All im getting as skimmate is white froth, dont really now if its helping. I checked all my stats and they are baout the same.

Nanobob, what should I do?

I agree with nanobob. The two sponges in the second chamber help but not enough, my GSP's really hate the microbubbles. All im getting as skimmate is white froth, dont really now if its helping. I checked all my stats and they are baout the same.

Nanobob, what should I do?

:lol: You're askin' me?!? My only suggestion would be to keep playing with the position of the skimmer and the speed of the pump. Eventually you will find a happy medium. I can't find that "happy" place because my water level is constantly changing and since I am gone from 5:30AM til 5:30Pm I am not available to adjust it. So until I get an ATO I will not be able to run the skimmer :(

Bob

:lol: You're askin' me?!? My only suggestion would be to keep playing with the position of the skimmer and the speed of the pump. Eventually you will find a happy medium. I can't find that "happy" place because my water level is constantly changing and since I am gone from 5:30AM til 5:30Pm I am not available to adjust it. So until I get an ATO I will not be able to run the skimmer :(

Bob

Give ya 10 bucks for it :)

stoney waters

There is a way to get a steady water level in the first two chambers of the newer NanoCubes. First you will need a surface skimmer. Second, lower the water level in the rear so that it is just below the second dividing wall. The wall will act as a dam and water will spill over into chamber 3. You will lose about 2" of water height but will still have enough depth for most heaters and the skimmer. This is assuming that the rear chambers are well sealed from the main tank and the 3rd chamber is sealed from the first two(I believe most are not). I had to reseal around the perimeter and inside the third chamber before I filled the tank with water. It might be worth the try to siphon out some water to see if it will hold the level.

If a higher level is wanted, the second dividing wall can be raised by removing the top portion (above the slot) and moving it down then glue it to the side of the bottom portion. This will gain another inch or so. Keep in mind that evaporative drop will only occur in the third chamber, so when top off water is added it should not be raised higher than the spill over. Again, assuming there is no seepage the level in the first two cambers will not fluctuate.

I have run an air driven skimmer in chamber 2 using this method for over nine months. I was able to dial in the skimmer and it has performed flawlessly.

Just thought I'd share

-Stone

after the addtion of 3 sponges, i am still getting a ton of microbubbles. i give up. 20 bucks plus 7.70 shipping takes it.

pm me or email ljennin2@tampabay.rr.com

Wow, a lot of microbubble? Try using Filter Floss. That helps alot of my Przm.

Gotta agree guys. I had the same problem in my 55 with a skimmer I had. I used some Filter Floss and the problem was gone. Good Luck

NO bubbles Picture_0023.jpg

Skimmer in action

Picture_0045.jpg

No real skimmate yet, but its only been 24 hour. I had some this morning, was tea color. I have the pump maxed out, im also using some filter floss and the foam they recommend to use. I see a bubble here and there, but its very hard to notice. I marked my water level, so when the level in the tank gets too low, im top it off. At least this way, the if i run low on water, the skimmer will trying to fill instead of overfilling the collection cup. I hope this works until i can get an ATO. I have it tweaked to perfection right now and it should stay that way unless a snail messes with my surface skimmer, or my water level drops. We'll see how the skimmate looks tomorrow!

Anyone notice that on Marine Depot the claim is that the Fission is only rated up to 12 gallons? While I'm sure it still does good, that's pretty upsetting to us 24 cubers. Think I might just stick a large Lee's Countercurrent Skimmer in my tank till the new Aqua C is released.

OK, I'm going to give this a try. Ordered today from Marine Depot so with 2 day UPS it should be here Wednesday. For $30 I guess I can't really go wrong. Is it possible to run the skimmer without dropping the water level in the rear compartments or would it be too high to shut the lid? If it's necessary to drop the level, I'll have to make something to do it.

does anyone know where the filter floss goes in the fission skimmer?

I would put the filter floss anywhere after the skimmer, preferablly right below the skimmer, way before the return pump. The filter floss should have been in the skimmer when you got it, at least mine was. I removed it and installed the skimmer, turned it on and i got tons of microbubbles, i mean i could bearly see anything in the tank it was so bad! I re-installed the filter floss in the skimmer and also put some directly below the skimmer and everything looks good, bubbles are at an all time low :)

Heres a picture of where the filter floss goes in the skimmer, i stole the pic from page 1 of this thread. Good luck and remember, this thing is useless unless the water level is perfectly tweaked also, dont expect it to be pulling out anything for a while, mines been running for 2 days now and all i get is very, very, lightly tea colored skimmate.

untitled1.JPG

Sorry i didnt take a pic of my skimmer. I would have but, theres no way in hell im touching it after getting everything set up right:)

Well after about a week of playing and repositioning over and over again I think I finally have the skimmer starting to produce something in the collection cup besides clear water.

I will tell you what the trick was. First I set that bubble level adjuster/or flow adjuster (what ever it is on the side) to the maximum level. Then I added the adjustable air intake filter from a maxijet 900 venturi aeration kit so I could really fine tune the bubble level. That other thing that I find to be very important is keeping that microbubble filter clean and free of clogs. If to much debris gets in the filter I causes that water level in the skimmer to raise to a point at which water will begin collecting in the cup.

These are just somethings I have tried and appear to be having a positive effect. I hope it gives some people some ideas to make this product work for them.

So everything is working great now, except one thing...

my last two chambers have lost about 4 inches of water.

does this matter?

Will it fudge anything up?

Can i fix it?

man, talk about prompt delivery. i ordered this thing on i think friday late night and it showed up on my door steps sunday morning..

Thanks a bunch Chris from nanotuners

i ordered the fission skimmer along with the ATO i figured it's too hard to dial the skimmer in without an ATO

still breaking it in so i'm not collecting that much skimmates yet. i noticed that i end up with alot of water in the collection cup with the lid on the skimmer attached. i'm guessings it's because the water that splashes up from bubbles popping hit the top of the lid and then eventually drip down into the cup, i'm running it without the lid attached for now and will see how it turns out..

i have set this thing up in a nano 12OG. to do so i had to cut one of the dividers that divides chamber 1 from chamber 2. the oG has 4 tiny chambers unlike the DX so you'll have to modify the chambers to fit this thing in. so far so good, it's a bit hard to set in place due to the chamber designs on the OG so you'll have to play with it a bit, i used some sponges to hold it in place along with the provided suction cups.

There is a way to get a steady water level in the first two chambers of the newer NanoCubes. First you will need a surface skimmer. Second, lower the water level in the rear so that it is just below the second dividing wall. The wall will act as a dam and water will spill over into chamber 3. You will lose about 2" of water height but will still have enough depth for most heaters and the skimmer. This is assuming that the rear chambers are well sealed from the main tank and the 3rd chamber is sealed from the first two(I believe most are not). I had to reseal around the perimeter and inside the third chamber before I filled the tank with water. It might be worth the try to siphon out some water to see if it will hold the level.

If a higher level is wanted, the second dividing wall can be raised by removing the top portion (above the slot) and moving it down then glue it to the side of the bottom portion. This will gain another inch or so. Keep in mind that evaporative drop will only occur in the third chamber, so when top off water is added it should not be raised higher than the spill over. Again, assuming there is no seepage the level in the first two cambers will not fluctuate.

I have run an air driven skimmer in chamber 2 using this method for over nine months. I was able to dial in the skimmer and it has performed flawlessly.

Just thought I'd share

-Stone

Excellent idea.

Archived