Cultivated Reef

Current USA "Fission" Nanoskimmer

ccjung

Skimmer is working awesome Chris, thank you. I'm going to see if I can't get it to fit nicely in the second chamber, maybe I'll post another video to help our fellow cubers out there.

Happy Reefkeeping!

Nanoskimguy

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

would you suggest running this skimmer 24/7 or only a few hours a day? It has been almost 8 years since i set up and ran a skimmer on a reef. If i were to run it partially...would it be better to run it at night?

stoney waters
Has anyone tried hooking a tube to the collection cup for the skimmate to flow out into a bucket? I figured that was what the plug in the collection cup was for. Please correct me if I am wrong. Thanks.

The drain would have to be above the rim of the tank in order for the cup to drain out of the tank. It looks like the cup would have to extend well into the hood to accomplish this.

The drain would have to be above the rim of the tank in order for the cup to drain out of the tank. It looks like the cup would have to extend well into the hood to accomplish this.

Seems like there ought to be a way to use something to generate some suction at the top in the collection cup, to facilitate an external collection chamber. But I am a mechanical ignoramus. I don't even have mine yet so I should shaddap. :)

Its OK lou.

I understand that the anticipation for this product has been unprecedented.

In the OG models that I have obtained (most likely the newer version) it fit, but I do understand however, that JBJ has released several versions of the OG tank, so those with the "older" versions will probably have to find a way to get it to fit.

Unfortunately I dont have access to every nano cube design revision ever created by JBJ, but I try my best to have a working knowledge of those that I have encountered.

Production differences, and revisions unfortunately come at little notice to me and moreso the consumer. I do however, try to stay on top of the product lines that I offer.

If there is modification necessary, I will try my best to come up with a good solution that minimizes the permanance of the mod, and hopefully one that can be done by someone with little or no tools.

I will dig up an older model if I can, and try to get the skimmer in. In addition, I will come up with some instructions.

Sorry for the frustration lou, but you are never alone when you buy from nanocustoms now or in the future.

As always, Im always a phone call away.

Chris

Hey all, I'm kind of irked by the fact that we are now finding out the this skimmer will need a fair amount of modifications for it to fit the 12g OG after several attempts from myself and others here asking over and over again if it will fit and being told again over and over again that it "should" drop in. I am in no way shape or form belittling what Chris and all other Nano pioneers here have done as it has allowed us to enjoy our common love with more ease and effectiveness. It’s just that now if I can’t or don’t want to have to mod this thing to fit what am I going to do with it? I did order one and it should be arriving at my UPS Store tomorrow. Sorry for ranting but it’s just that I’ve had this thing on order for two months and was more than excited about getting it here to me. Thanks for letting me rant here and I’m sure I’ll get some crap for this but I had to speak my mind.

Later

I'm a newbie here, but I'm jumping into the nano world rather quickly due to the intense interest and pressure of my 10 year old daughter. I've been managing (winging it) a FW tank for about 5 months now, but decided if I'm going to do SW/reef I better learn a bit about it before putting my credit card down.

As I understand it, in order for a protein skimmer to have the greatest impact is to use it on the surface skimmed water. This allows the protein skimmer "first shot" at doc's, especially nitrogen waste compounds, for removal before passing onto any other chemical/biological filtration, lowering the burden on those systems. As the intake, fitted with a surface skimmer, would place the majority of surface accumulate into the first compartment (from the left) that should be the location of the protein skimmer. The "skimmed water", or lower waste product solution, could then pass onto the second, third, or fourth compartment (depending on model) for processing before being reintroduced into the "main tank".

I've read a lot about the mods people are making here, some of them remarkably ingenious (which of course I plan to use too :) ), but rearranging compartments to allow the skimmer to be placed in compartment 1 would truly be taking full advantage of the ability to perform internal protein skimming, rather than placing it farther down the processing path where its usefulness would be diluted. Just MHO.

Otherwise, nice to finally post to the folks I've been lurking at for the last several weeks, and sure look forward to learning more from all of you.

Unlike everyone else here, I haven't ordered the skimmer yet. My question is this, Is it still possible for me to order this skimmer and recieve it sometime around Christmas, or will I have to wait until another shippment are availible?

I've been following everyones posts and I DO have a 12g OG, but it does have the three compartments in the back of the tank. The Intake Chamber (Number 1 I believe you all call it) dimentions are 4 1/8" x 2 7/8", the center chamber is 3 1/2" x 2 7/8" and the last chamber, or Output chamber is 5 1/4"x 2 7/8". Will the skimmer be able to fit in this tank?

Thanks in advance for any help that you can give.

Happy Reefing,

Lou

For those of you who have the 12OG...

When I receive my skimmer I will check the fit into an old OG that I have (It is the one with 4 chambers). I should get my skimmer today if FedEx tracking is accurate.

Bob

Its OK lou.

I understand that the anticipation for this product has been unprecedented.

In the OG models that I have obtained (most likely the newer version) it fit, but I do understand however, that JBJ has released several versions of the OG tank, so those with the "older" versions will probably have to find a way to get it to fit.

Unfortunately I dont have access to every nano cube design revision ever created by JBJ, but I try my best to have a working knowledge of those that I have encountered.

Production differences, and revisions unfortunately come at little notice to me and moreso the consumer. I do however, try to stay on top of the product lines that I offer.

If there is modification necessary, I will try my best to come up with a good solution that minimizes the permanance of the mod, and hopefully one that can be done by someone with little or no tools.

I will dig up an older model if I can, and try to get the skimmer in. In addition, I will come up with some instructions.

Sorry for the frustration lou, but you are never alone when you buy from nanocustoms now or in the future.

As always, Im always a phone call away.

Chris

Chris,

I knew you'd step up to the plate dude, but you do understand my frustrations and I really appreaciate it. I was just told that it has arrived at my UPS Store and will be picking it up in a bit. I was actually planning on installing it today as I'm working from home today, but looks like that won't happen. So as soon as you can find anything out again I'd really appreaciate it.

Bob,

Thanks for also stepping in here and trying to help. I see that you got the package I sent you, good. If you could post whatever you find I'd really appreciate it as well.

Thanks all

from what I have seen in other post pics, it looks just like the pipes need to be shortened at the points to where they meet up with the skimmer and the pump?

from what I have seen in other post pics, it looks just like the pipes need to be shortened at the points to where they meet up with the skimmer and the pump?

I have the 4 chamber OG.

Yeah you can shorten the pipes. I shortened mine by 3/8" by dremeling the ends where it connets to the pump. The fit is still very snug. I am going to fit it tonight but it looks like I will have to cut the part where the skimmer connects to the tube as well. this requires a cut both on the skimmer body connector and the pipe itself.

I just got the thing, and it is really engineered very nice. It took me about 10 minutes to figure out how to mod it to fit, including dremel time. I had to cut off suction-cup assembly from the main skimmer, shortened both ends of the pipe where it meets to the pump and the skimmer. Works and fits like a charm now. I couldnt even hear the damn thing start up, so I had to look at the skimmer to make sure it was working. So far, I am very pleased. And thanks again Chris for supplying the six extra pads, that was very nice of you.

I have a 12G Nano Cube DX and I cannot get it into any chamber. I have looked at page 6, and it doesn't seem to help. Can someone tell me how to get the skimmer in the tank please?

Received my skimmer today, but I am a little confused and am trying to determine whether I have a 3 or 4 chamber cube. I definitely have an OG model, but is the "4th chamber" separated by a tiny wall only a couple of inches high?

The dimensions for the 1st chamber is approximately 3.5" x 3".

Any help will be appreciated.

As people have already said the skimmer will not fit into the 4 chamber version of the 12OG without modification. There people working on that process so I will leave it to them.

Here are a few pics of it installed in my 24NC. The elbow was cracked on mine so I installed it without the elbow. It seems to be working as promised and it is very quiet. Even with everything else off you can barely hear it.

Thanks Chris!

Bob

P.S.

This thing looks absolutely tiny in my 24. Hopefully it does the job.

post-12987-1133918473_thumb.jpg

post-12987-1133918488_thumb.jpg

post-12987-1133918498_thumb.jpg

A request for someone with one of these working, a surface skimming device and a camera -

How about a picture of 24 hours worth of skimmate?

A request for someone with one of these working, a surface skimming device and a camera -

Come back tomorrow :lol:

Bob

Would love to if i had mine. Fedex is dragging ASS! I think im the only one who hasnt gotten their's yet lol :)

I have a 12G Nano Cube DX and I cannot get it into any chamber. I have looked at page 6, and it doesn't seem to help. Can someone tell me how to get the skimmer in the tank please?

If you have the 12dx just check out the thread by nanoskim guy "fission instalation video"

coralbuff

Received my skimmer today, but I am a little confused and am trying to determine whether I have a 3 or 4 chamber cube. I definitely have an OG model, but is the "4th chamber" separated by a tiny wall only a couple of inches high?

The dimensions for the 1st chamber is approximately 3.5" x 3".

Any help will be appreciated.

Sounds like the older og to me. Judgeing by the dimensions and the fact that the dx has only 3 chambers.

coralbuff

Archived