Innovative Marine Aquariums

Current USA "Fission" Nanoskimmer

ccjung

The way I see it most people are being to impatient when it comes to adjusting these skimmers. Like with most skimmers you want a dry foam. In order to achieve this patience is needed. The skimmer should be adjusted so that no bubbles enter the cup initially. As the the top layer of bubbles begin to dry they will be pushed higher into the riser and eventually spill over into the cup. This may take a day or two. Skimmers should be adjusted slightly over a period of several days, or even weeks. Not in just a day.

Tell me about it... I planning to owned one soon. I think people should have patients to adjust it. I have a prizm that was ticking me off. but I adjusted it they way I wanted. Now It's perfect...

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

at first i was very interested in this little skimmer but to have to replace the skimmate cup every other day is too much of a hassle. im staying with frequent water changes/ rubble rock and fuge light

Run the cellectors tube to a big bottle of water then. Not to be mean or say anything, I do think that is much work changing it daily. It all part of maintaining a tank...

what is the aqua C skimmer sapposed to be like? I can't find any information anywhere on a aqua C nano skimmer.

January 12, 2006

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for the message. We're still making some final decisions regarding the Nano Remora, but we're hoping to offer it within the next month or two.

It's basically a Remora with a few modifications that will allow its use on shorter tanks and aquaria with special hoods. Other than that, we're still working out the bugs and doing some final testing, so nothing's set in stone! Thanks again, and let me know if you have any other questions or comments!

- - - - - - - - - - -

Steve Prince

Customer Service Manager

AquaC, Inc.

7949 Stromesa Ct., Ste. E

San Diego, CA 92126

858-689-1121 phone

858-564-3419 fax

visit us online at...

www.proteinskimmer.com

I have a 6 gal. nano-cube. I read all 26 pages of this forum. I decided to order the Fission nano-skimmer. Just arrived. Mine came with four elbows (I guess because of all the broken ones being reported). I fit it in my 6 gal nano cube chamber 2 by using the extra elbows (both broken). I put the pump outlet on top and then used multiple elbows to get the right configuration. It put the skimmer in and the extra elbows added enough height to put the skimmer at the perfect height. Turned it on. No bubbles. Removed the skimmer and discovered they glued over the air line at the pump. Removed the line and replaced it using aquirium sealant. After it dried it worked. I too was getting major micro bubbles in tank. I added an extra little white pad to the skimmer and bubbles are significantly reduced (almost all gone). I only have a six gal and do water changes weekly so I don't really need the skimmer but had to have it. So far it is working good, although I await some real skimmate. I may over feed just to see if it works.

nanocubeboy,

i do not want a water bottle hanging off my nanocube. the reason why i like the ncs is bec. of there streamline look. otherwise i would just get a bask aga tank with all the hanging parts. id rather spend my time looking at my tank than dumping a skimmer cup every day. what if i go away for a week? its just not practical for me.

brent-konieczny

I have my cup running to a water bottle behind my tank. I mainly have to mess with the skimmer more than emptying the cup. I'm getting fed up with the low performance plus I just read an article to design a better skimmer. The article

explains why this design is so inefficient. www.hawkfish.org/snailman/skimmer101.htm

• 2 weeks later...

soo...

any updates

how are you all's skimmers doing??

im still debating wether to get one for my cube or not and want to hear what you guys have to say after having them for a while.

any improvement in the tank/ inhabitants??

soo...

any updates

how are you all's skimmers doing??

im still debating wether to get one for my cube or not and want to hear what you guys have to say after having them for a while.

any improvement in the tank/ inhabitants??

Mine produced good skimmate, as long as I kept an eagle eye on the water level. I removed mine after a month b/c I just couldn't get the microbubbles under control.

I haven't given up on it yet, I may try to mod it in such a way as to eliminate the bubbles....

Just got mine this week. I was out town for business and I got it out of the box just a few minutes ago. Mine also has four elbows, none broken. I also ordered the 9w UV sterilizer. Chris shipped that early a few weeks ago and it didn't work. He sent me a brand new one with the skimmer and I'm happy to report it is working just fine. I have rubble in my first chamber, so I'm going to remove that tonight and get this thing going.

Mine produced good skimmate, as long as I kept an eagle eye on the water level. I removed mine after a month b/c I just couldn't get the microbubbles under control.

I haven't given up on it yet, I may try to mod it in such a way as to eliminate the bubbles....

whats your defination of good skimmate? it is actually black or dark dark brown? all i could ever get was green tea twice a day even when the thing was almost out of the water, the bubbles cresting eventually created enought splash to fill the cup anyways....i hated it!!!

-Jon

Still complaining I see. How much and how dark a skimmate do you guys really expect out of this little thing???? The reaction area is about 4" tops. C'mon man

I still can't even get mine to work, I've messed with mine numerous times and it's been a pain in the butt since I've gotten it, all it does is push the water around a little bit towards the top, that's it, no foam, no froth, no skimmate, not even water being pushed up towards the top, I've replaced the airline tube 2 times now and still nothing! I've adjusted the water level from every level and adjusted the pump level to max and min. each time and still nothing! any other suggestions on this thing before I toss it? :huh:

I still can't even get mine to work, I've messed with mine numerous times and it's been a pain in the butt since I've gotten it, all it does is push the water around a little bit towards the top, that's it, no foam, no froth, no skimmate, not even water being pushed up towards the top, I've replaced the airline tube 2 times now and still nothing! I've adjusted the water level from every level and adjusted the pump level to max and min. each time and still nothing! any other suggestions on this thing before I toss it? :huh:

yes sell it before you toss it! :-D someone should really get Ike from current to comment about this thing, i mean i serously am amazed that some people even like it, with the way it performs i would have thought it was a failure by design and everyone who has it is doomed!...shrugs

January 12, 2006

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for the message. We're still making some final decisions regarding the Nano Remora, but we're hoping to offer it within the next month or two.

It's basically a Remora with a few modifications that will allow its use on shorter tanks and aquaria with special hoods. Other than that, we're still working out the bugs and doing some final testing, so nothing's set in stone! Thanks again, and let me know if you have any other questions or comments!

- - - - - - - - - - -

Steve Prince

Customer Service Manager

AquaC, Inc.

7949 Stromesa Ct., Ste. E

San Diego, CA 92126

858-689-1121 phone

858-564-3419 fax

visit us online at...

www.proteinskimmer.com

So.... my question is are they going to do a nano urchin? The remora is HOB, if you are a cube or pod owner I would think the urchin (in sump model) would be a better option.

whats your defination of good skimmate? it is actually black or dark dark brown? all i could ever get was green tea twice a day even when the thing was almost out of the water...

I had mine running almost submerged, and the skimmate was closer to a nice, strong Earl Grey. B)

I have seen the skimmate that comes out a bigger, more expensive skimmers and it looks like tar, but I am not expecting that out of this device.

It was also impossible for me to get enough bubbles of sufficiant quantity or small enough size at its lowest flow rate. I was thinking about pumping air into it, but I wonder if that might not cause too much cavitaion of the impeller, not to mention worsening the microbubble problem.

I have several mod ideas rattling around in my little pea brain, but I haven't actually drawn anything up yet. Most of them call for longer soft plumbing between the pump and skimmer. I was also thinking about elongating the body, slowing the water flow (by using a smaller pump?), encorporating a small wooden airstone, and redirecting the output.

Several people have said that the pump is overpowered and I am inclined to agree. I think that the skimmer would have to be wider and taller to efficiantly use 84.5gph.

Having said all that, I wouldn't call this a failed design. It was designed to pull out a moderate, mostly wet skimmate and to do it using a small enough volume to allow its placement in the back chambers of an aquapod. I would say that it fits those criteria fairly well.

I had mine running almost submerged, and the skimmate was closer to a nice, strong Earl Grey. B)

wow props to you for getting it to work, do you mind posting a pick of your water level to the skimmer, and a pic of your darkest skimmate, not sure how earl grey looks, thanks

-jon

do you mind posting a pick of your water level to the skimmer, and a pic of your darkest skimmate...

Love to, only I pulled it out of the tank almost 2 weeks ago. I suppose I could throw it in a glass of water to the level it was in the tank and take a pic of that...

post-18025-1138645427.jpg

This is an approximate color of the skimmate. Imagine this color and a liquid that is translucent at a depth of 2".

I suppose I could put it back in, but I am going to roll all my stuff out of the 5.5 and into a 10gal split in a couple days...

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=77662

post-18025-1138645647_thumb.jpg

I pulled my fission skimmer out today after messing around w/ it for weeks. The darn thing would work, and get a half dark skimate, and stop siphoning air after a couple of days. This went on for over a month, with massive amounts of tinkering, repositioning, etc. I finally said goodbye and put it on my shelf. My tank was completely healthy before it, and will have no troube w/o it.

seems like they just came up with a design real quick and didnt test it. The materials are crap that its made with. What we want is a small skimmer that is designed and works well even if it costs 100 bucks or so.

Archived