SaltCritters.com

Current USA "Fission" Nanoskimmer

ccjung

Excellent idea.

I removed the top divider all together and that gives me a constant level in the 2nd compartment. I run a Rio 800 in the 3rd compartment. I have been trying to use the skimmer in the first compartment I thought I had it last night but this morning I was making more water, not skimmate. I am going to move the second compartment tonight and see what happens. I am concerned about the microbubbles though.

We’ll See.

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There is a way to get a steady water level in the first two chambers of the newer NanoCubes. First you will need a surface skimmer. Second, lower the water level in the rear so that it is just below the second dividing wall. The wall will act as a dam and water will spill over into chamber 3. You will lose about 2" of water height but will still have enough depth for most heaters and the skimmer. This is assuming that the rear chambers are well sealed from the main tank and the 3rd chamber is sealed from the first two(I believe most are not). I had to reseal around the perimeter and inside the third chamber before I filled the tank with water. It might be worth the try to siphon out some water to see if it will hold the level.

If a higher level is wanted, the second dividing wall can be raised by removing the top portion (above the slot) and moving it down then glue it to the side of the bottom portion. This will gain another inch or so. Keep in mind that evaporative drop will only occur in the third chamber, so when top off water is added it should not be raised higher than the spill over. Again, assuming there is no seepage the level in the first two cambers will not fluctuate.

I have run an air driven skimmer in chamber 2 using this method for over nine months. I was able to dial in the skimmer and it has performed flawlessly.

Just thought I'd share

-Stone

I have a 24NC, I am not sure if the configuration of the dividers is the same between the 12 and the 24? The first chamber of my tank when full is about 3/4 of the way up the back wall. In this state the 2nd and 3rd chambers are about the same level. The slot in the 2nd chamber wall prevents the water from going any higher. If I were to cover the slot however I would only gain about an inch in the second chamber. The third chamber can't go any higher because of the wall seperating the 2nd and 3rd. I don't know if that's clear or not, but I will go on anyway.

When the water evaporates from my cube, because I am using my surface skimmer, only the rear chambers lower. If I don't keep on top of the evap the water will drop in ALL three of the rear chambers. And as I said in an earlier post I lose about a gallon + daily. It is impossible for me to maintain a constant level in the 1st chamber without continously adding top off to replace the evap. because as the 3rd chamber evaporates it pulls from the 2nd and as the 2nd evaps it pulls from the first. And since the surface skimmer maintains a constant level in the display the 1st chamber has no where to pull from and subsequently has to lower.

I hope this all made some sort of sense. I am also trying to work as I am writing this. :P

Bob

Makes sense to me Bob. I have the same issue with my little DIY skimmer but I certainly don't lose a gallon a day. That is quite a bit. I have stock lighting and that probably makes me lose less. I just bought one of these skimmers. I will make the plunge lol. My tank is having Diatom problems and I don't think my skimmer is pulling its weight. After christmas I think I may look into an auto top off system to keep the water level in the "sump" right. Thanks for the update and keep us informed.

I have a 24NC, I am not sure if the configuration of the dividers is the same between the 12 and the 24? The first chamber of my tank when full is about 3/4 of the way up the back wall. In this state the 2nd and 3rd chambers are about the same level. The slot in the 2nd chamber wall prevents the water from going any higher. If I were to cover the slot however I would only gain about an inch in the second chamber. The third chamber can't go any higher because of the wall seperating the 2nd and 3rd. I don't know if that's clear or not, but I will go on anyway.

When the water evaporates from my cube, because I am using my surface skimmer, only the rear chambers lower. If I don't keep on top of the evap the water will drop in ALL three of the rear chambers. And as I said in an earlier post I lose about a gallon + daily. It is impossible for me to maintain a constant level in the 1st chamber without continously adding top off to replace the evap. because as the 3rd chamber evaporates it pulls from the 2nd and as the 2nd evaps it pulls from the first. And since the surface skimmer maintains a constant level in the display the 1st chamber has no where to pull from and subsequently has to lower.

I hope this all made some sort of sense. I am also trying to work as I am writing this. :P

Bob

I don't lose that much water in my 12dx. I would have to loose a lot in order for the level in 2nd chamber to drop. I guess it all depends on the flow you have going back in the tank. With the Rio 800 I use, it keeps the level in the 3rd chamber lower than the second chamber therefore making the second chamber stay at a given level (the height of the opening). That is what is happening with my cube some may be different.

Jon

I don't lose that much water in my 12dx. I would have to loose a lot in order for the level in 2nd chamber to drop. I guess it all depends on the flow you have going back in the tank. With the Rio 800 I use, it keeps the level in the 3rd chamber lower than the second chamber therefore making the second chamber stay at a given level (the height of the opening). That is what is happening with my cube some may be different.

Jon

Jon,

You make a good point about the 2nd chamber staying at a more consistant level than the others. I may have to re-arrange my setup and try the skimmer in the 2nd chamber.

Thanks,

Bob

If you are losing a gallon a day, why not humidify your room? Obviously your air is a bit "dry" if your losing that much water daily! I only have to add a quart every week or so - however my tank is in a climate controlled / humidified guitar studio. Just somethin' to think about.

If you are losing a gallon a day, why not humidify your room? Obviously your air is a bit "dry" if your losing that much water daily! I only have to add a quart every week or so - however my tank is in a climate controlled / humidified guitar studio. Just somethin' to think about.

My house is alway very dry in the winter. We run a humidifier, but that only helps marginally. The amount of evap. is an effect of my new "Sun". 178W-o-light

Bob

I think we should start posting pics of skimmate we've collected. Im gonna snap one tomorrow, im getting some pretty good skimmate for only having the skimmer in the tank for 4 days! :)

My method is working flawlessly! The skimmer has very little water in the collection cup, its pretty much all foam or gunk actually, I checked it last night when I got home from work and there was so much foam in there it was overflowing out of the holes on the top of the collection cup cover! The water level doesn’t fluctuate as much as I thought it would surprisingly! My micro bubbles have virtually vanished, and I feel that special feeling of knowing I have a skimmer that’s actually doing something!

stoney waters

Jon

Jon, That is I have happening in my tank. Just like in an external sump, the wall before the third chamber acts as a baffle keeping everything behind it at that height. However, too many sponges or other obstructions in the bottom of chambers 1 or 2 might raise the level in chamber 1.

Bob

Here is a crappy drawing of the water flow in my tank. I'm not sure if the 24's are the same, but I think they are.

sumpdrawing.jpg

I recently purchased a nanoskim and it has seemed to pair up well with my fission skimmer. I have my fission skimmer in chamber 1 of my 24 NC, with the pump set at the halfway mark.

Before getting the nanoskim, my water levels in the back chambers were too high and all I was getting was very watery skimmate. Since installing the nanoskim, it has lowered the water levels in my back chambers, allowing me to adjust the fission lower in the chambers, but also, maintaining the water level at just where the collection cup meets the skimmer.

DSC00715.jpg

DSC00714.jpg

DSC00716.jpg

Here is a picture of the skimmate so far:

DSC00719.jpg

I've had the skimmer for over a week, but it's only been a day since I installed the fission/nanoskim combo, but so far, it looks promising with the skimmate looking a bit darker than before. Also, the microbubbles going into the tank seemed to have subsided.

By the way, I don't know why I didn't get a surface skimmer before. I bought two nanoskims, one for a 24 NC and one for a 12NC and it has worked wonders! Thanks nanoskimguy! :happydance:

Could not get the skimmer into 2nd chamber of 12dx but someone let me know if they did.

Stoney

That is one thing I had to watch. Right know I have moved my filter media into the 3rd chamber above my returm pump to keep that from happening. Skimming will help more than the media IMO anyway. So if i have to have less media and it be in the 3rd chamber to maintain water lever and optimize skimmer I'll take it.

Jon

Nice... any work on a OG yet?

i fit it in my 12OG. you have to cut the divider that divides chamber 1 and 2. after that's done there's plenty of room and still 2 more chambers left.. you gotta keep playing with it and add filter floss or other things to try to keep microbubbles from entering the display.. i'm still trying to figure it out.. i thouht there wasn't any micro bubbles but then that's because my water level in the back was too low.

i set up the jbj ATO.. it doesn't work as well as i like. there's about a 3 second delay before it turns off the pump so it over fills it, no matter how i set up the sensors.. so it does it in both mode A and mode B. however i think the ATO would work great in larger tank/sump set up where you can afford more errors.

jon,

i have my skimmer in the 2nd chamber of my 12dx but i am having trouble with microbubbles. it is difficult to stop the bubbles without affecting the waterflow.

I just recently bought a Fusion nano skimmer. I hooked up the nano skimmer and noticed that the amount of bubbles that the pump produces is very low. If I turn the adjuster slide on the pump toward the minimum setting, no bubbles at all form and it seems like the pump is doing nothing. Even with the pump setting on the maximum output, the amount of bubbles produced inside the skimmer tube are fairly low. I have compared my bubble output to videos posted on this thread and mine is WAY lower. It seems like my pump may be malfunctioning or??? What do you guys think? I appreciate your help. (Also, the skimmate cap was missing the rubber stopper and one of my elbows was cracked) I emailed Ike@currentusa about the missing/damaged pieces and I hope that he will take care of those for me. I am concerned about the efficiency of the skimmer with such few bubbles being produced on my particular unit. TI have what looks like one or two small streams of bubbles coming up the chamberwith the pump at maximum. From what the videos look like, the whole middle chamber should be filled with bubbles. I have tried moving the pump and skimmer to different heights with the same results. Thanks for your guys help...Im new to the whole nanoreef thing but have been spending tons of time (and money) getting into it. Sorry for the length of this post :)

stoney waters

Dj

You might want to check the air supply tube. Mine was completely sealed shut with the adhesive they used to glue it to the impeller cap. I just cut it off, and glued it back on. Now I have more bubbles then I know what to do with.

Just got mine from Fedex, they tried to deliver it 3 times, didn't leave a door tag any of the times, luckily I was able to go pick it up.

I have an Eclipse 12 and haven't read of anyone here installing the Fission in that model, so I'll let you know it does fit perfectly in the back left hand corner beside the stock filter intake and motor. I set it up according to instructions, will see in the morning if I have to adjust the height.

I am getting some microbubbles, but will see if they die down as they say it will in the manual.

No broken elbows here. :) Will take photos of how it's installed if anyone wants to see it.

Thanks Stoney...I will try that when I get home. I know that the small airline tube is pulling in some air because when I pinch the end shut I get no bubbles. Did you pull the "grate" off the intake (Impeller cap) to inspect the tubing? How do you get the grate off? I dont have the pump in front of me to see. Thank for the replies. Happy Reefing

-DJ

stoney waters
Thanks Stoney...I will try that when I get home. I know that the small airline tube is pulling in some air because when I pinch the end shut I get no bubbles. Did you pull the "grate" off the intake (Impeller cap) to inspect the tubing? How do you get the grate off? I dont have the pump in front of me to see. Thank for the replies. Happy Reefing

-DJ

Dj,

The strainer cap is on there tight, but it will pull right off. Just grab it low and twist. If the airline is not the problem I do not know what else it could be.

-Stone

Stoney, that didnt help. I took the pump apart and made sure the airline tube was flowing freely (Stuck a paper clip in the ends then blew through it to make sure it was unobstructed). I think I have a Wussy pump... Anyone else care to offer suggestions? I have an email into nanocustoms (where I bought it), but no reply yet. Ughhhh

-DJ

Archived