Cultivated Reef

Current USA "Fission" Nanoskimmer

ccjung

I got my skimmer today for my 10 gal. (cracked elbows also!!!) and i have had it up and running for about 5 hours and Ther hasnt been any real great skimmate. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem. I am trying to figure out the correct depth required toproduce good skimate but have not found it yet. This is my first skimmer so i dont really know what i am doing. My way of running my reefs has been without a skimmer, but this one is so damn cool looking. i had to have it. Pleae let me know if anyone is just getting whitish/clear froth and not any real color or gunk out of this skimmer.

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can anyone kind of give me an idea on how the Fission is performing? I'm especially interested in those with a 24. Yeah, I know, I know... Read the thread... But 16 pages is a bit much. Can anyonve give me the cliff's notes version? :bowdown:

Would love to if i had mine. Fedex is dragging ASS! I think im the only one who hasnt gotten their's yet lol :)

don't worry i still haven't gotten mine yet either!!!!!! i live in FL the farthest place possible from Cali!!!

ok, just checked the collection cup from overnight (ran it for 9 hours), it was completly full, a little watery but the skimmer does work. The water had a yellow tint to it.

BTW, the skimmer is NOT going to fit the rear first chamber or second chamber of the OG nanocube, no matter how you look at it, without modification of the skimmer itself, or the tank.

To whom it may concern. The site says that this is temporarily sold out. Does anyone know when this will be in stock again? and can anyone tell me if it's a good idea to order one now, or wait till they are in stock.

Thanks,

Lou

To whom it may concern. The site says that this is temporarily sold out. Does anyone know when this will be in stock again? and can anyone tell me if it's a good idea to order one now, or wait till they are in stock.

Thanks,

Lou

Depending on which tank you have, I would say order it now. That way you will be one of the first to get the next batch. If you have a 12OG I would say wait until the modders have figured out how to make it fit.

bob

Thanks Bob, yes its a 12OG but what I've been reading so far is that people with the 3 chambered OG are not having issues...not sure though. Will more than likely get it ordered now.

Thanks again for the response,

Lou

Got mine last night. One of the two elbows is cracked. Who do I need to contact to get a replacement?

Also, I am not getting micro bubbles but rather large bubbles, it also took some time and blowing in the air hose to get any bubbles to come up. How do you adjust this skimmer as far as the airbubbles go?

Hey everyone

Its been a long week, so I havent been able to be as active on the forums as I would like.

It looks like some people are having problems with the elbows either arriving cracked or cracking when the pump is inserted.

Fret not tho, as I have just spoken to current USA and they will be replacing the elbows.

IF YOU HAVE A CRACKED ELBOW or MISSING PARTS:

Please email ike at:

ike@current-usa.com

Please include your Name. Address, and email information so he can send new parts to you.

I thank everyone in advanced for their patience with this products release and hope everyone can get thier issues resolved.

As for skimmate, I would try to adjust the height of the skimmer so that the bubbles just barely crest the top of the collar, the longer the reaction time in the collar of the collection area, the better, darker skimmate you will get.

As with all skimmers, there is some "tuning" involved to ensure that the skimmate is dry.

I'll be checking back in on this thread.

Chris

Does any one out there have a 24DX nano cube with the protein skimmer installed? Was it easy? Are you using a surface skimmer also? Which chamber did you put the protein skimmer in?

Take a look a few post up and you will see some pics of it installed in my 24. I put it in the first chamber because the water in that chamber is the highest. It was a piece of cake to install, plenty of room with or without the elbow. You can see my surface skimmer in one of the pics.

Bob

stoney waters
Take a look a few post up and you will see some pics of it installed in my 24. I put it in the first chamber because the water in that chamber is the highest. It was a piece of cake to install, plenty of room with or without the elbow. You can see my surface skimmer in one of the pics.

Bob

Hey Bob. You said that the water level is highest in chamber one. I am trying to visualize why this would be. Unless there is a sponge, media bag or some other obstruction in the bottom of chamber 1, shouldn't the levels be the same in both 1 and 2?

-Stone

Hey Bob. You said that the water level is highest in chamber one. I am trying to visualize why this would be. Unless there is a sponge, media bag or some other obstruction in the bottom of chamber 1, shouldn't the levels be the same in both 1 and 2?

-Stone

I should have clarified... I have LR rubble and my heater in chamber two, hence there isn't room there and the water in chamber 3 is lower.

Bob

just recived my skimmer first puting make sure which way the faces,the inlet venture hose that went into the base of the pump was sealed with silcone,tried to open hose works when pump is 3 or 4 inches from top ,when installing it to were its sopose to be it dosent draw any air into it

frank

hey, i got mine to and i had some problems trying to figure out how the pump went onto the skimmer, also has anyone had problems with the bubbles? is it normal for there to be a bunch of bubbles or do i need to raise it up some more? also has anyone sucessfully fit this thing into a 12g nano cube? im not sure if mines a dx or original, it has two fans and 2 bulbs can anyone tell me what make it is?

Bob curious how the water level in your 3rd chamber is lower? Did you mod the baffles?

Also is the collection cup adjustable? or do you just move the whole unit up and down for adjustment?

Bob curious how the water level in your 3rd chamber is lower? Did you mod the baffles?

Also is the collection cup adjustable? or do you just move the whole unit up and down for adjustment?

See my last post I clarified. And yes you have to adjust the whole unit up or down.

Bob

hey, i got mine to and i had some problems trying to figure out how the pump went onto the skimmer, also has anyone had problems with the bubbles? is it normal for there to be a bunch of bubbles or do i need to raise it up some more? also has anyone sucessfully fit this thing into a 12g nano cube? im not sure if mines a dx or original, it has two fans and 2 bulbs can anyone tell me what make it is?

You definitely have a DX

ok thanks, i bought it from a store off ebay and they were not real clear what actual model it was. it also had the bonus led light to or they call it luv lights? still waiting for responses about the bubbles problem

the skimmate is very water and i have had to dump it twice since yesterday. I would like to know if anyone is having the problems with the watery skimmate. and i would also like to know hoe to get rid of the micro bubbles in the tank . they seem to be leaking out of the skimmer. The skimmer is great for my 10 gal. but im not satisfied with the skimmate.

Archived