Pod Your Reef

Current USA "Fission" Nanoskimmer

ccjung

ok, just checked the collection cup from overnight (ran it for 9 hours), it was completly full, a little watery but the skimmer does work. The water had a yellow tint to it.

BTW, the skimmer is NOT going to fit the rear first chamber or second chamber of the OG nanocube, no matter how you look at it, without modification of the skimmer itself, or the tank.

Hey Audio,

do you have an OG model? If so, did you squeeze the skimmer in the first chamber with some modding or did you place it in the third chamber?

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply
don't worry i still haven't gotten mine yet either!!!!!! i live in FL the farthest place possible from Cali!!!

didnt come today.. I was leaving for work and saw the Fedex guy driving down the street so i waited for him because he stopped right in front of my house.. I see him get out and go to my neighbors house:( No skimmer for me still. According to Fedex tracking system, its still in cali:( The last update on it was on the 3rd of Dec...

i got mine and im not to happy about the micro bubbles, plus i was told it would fit into a 12g dx nano cube but i dont see how. if anybody has pic of theres can you please post.

if you go to smallreefsolutions.com i think thats the site they have a vid showing you how to get it in there

very technical stuff there hehe anyways

as for watery skimmate if you have to dump is twice a day thats not skimmate thats just water

some skimmers need time to break in too, but i dunno about this one

my roomate got one and it wasnt working very well either until we put it in the back chamber

if the skimmer is pushing too much water into the collection cup you need to lower the water level of the skimmer (raise skimmer up)

Ok, I just got home and check the skimmer. It was running for aprox. 19 hours and all that was in the collection cup was white froth (it was full, but it was white). This is my first skimmer, but I don't think the skimmate should white??

Another thing I noticed is the water had dropped about an inch. It was at the top of the notches on the skimmer yesterday and it was about half way down when I got home. I knew my evap was faster with my new light setup, but I didn't think it was that severe. Might have to look into an ATO.

Good thing Christmas is coming!!

More updates to follow.

bob

just got mine...broken elbows...lots of micro bubbles. has anyone had this thing running for a couple of days and noticed a reduction in the bubbles?

Bob keep us updated on how you are doing. I have a 24 dx and I have thought about getting one of these. Currently I have a airstone driven DIY skimmer that works sort of. I have no fish yet so limited bioload but it does pull out some greenish-tea colored water. But it only foams so much and when the water evaporates the foam can't reach the collection cup. I am sure an ATO would resolve this but I just don't have the cash right now and I was trying to keep the tank contained. an ATO will no have water outside the tank.

Sounds like you are having he same water level issue I am. I asked about 8 pages back if this would be a problem but never saw a response. Let me know how it all works out.

Oh and with my litte DIY skimmer I find after I clean it it does take a day or two to kick in and start pulling out stuff, but keep in mind mine is just an airstone with no pump on it.

Thanks again.

stoney waters

Anyone else have a problem with a clogged air supply tube? Mine was sealed with the adhesive that was used to glue it to the impeller cap. I tried to poke it with a needle but ended up having to remove it, cut it and glue it back on. Also the zip ties work great for fixing the cracked elbows.

Cuba, Yeah it is the ORIGINAL nanocube...original as it gets. Skimmer

is in the first chamber, sitting on top of a sponge...

SINCE almost everyone is having problems with microbubbles entering the tank...I have added two sponges stacked onto each other in the 2nd chamber. As the bubbles travel from the skimmer in chamber one into chamber two, they get broken up by the sponges and prevent them from entering the tank viewing area, much like the fiberous material built into the skimmer.

I have zero bubbles with this method, but I am not sure how people will feel about having sponges in their tank. Ive always kept sponges in my tank, and nitrates/nitrites are always at zero.

I received mine yesterday and had to file (w/dremel) off a little bit of the U tube (the part that fits to the little black piece that connects to the pump), BUT IT PERFECTLY FITS CHAMBER 2 OF MY NC6 now!

I left the black suction cups on the pump, but removed the clear ones and I'm using them like "bumpers" for the collection cup to keep it perfectly upright.

I love it... yea it creates microbubbles which I'm figuring out how to eliminate, but it's pulled some yellow crap from the tank and it's been running for about 24 hours now and was 3/4s full earlier today. My shrooms definitely like whatever the skimmer is providing (be it more oxygen or skimming action or both) because they are more open today than they've been in a while!

I'm damn excited for $27!!!

on the link that FateX9 gave which was smallreefsolutions.com , they have a viedo to show how to place the skimmer in the first chamber of a 12g nano cube and they showed that the skimmer works better if you have a nano skim to block out the water flow into that chamber. has anyone else had to reduce the flow into that chamber or is it not nessary to buy more stuff? please inform me wether to get a nano skim or not!!

unless you have some serious pump suction...you will probably need a nanoskim or whatever. I dont need one as Im pulling out close to 400gph through that grate, so it keeps the water level lower than the level in the tank. IF you are running open top, then you do not need the nanoskim. If you are running closed top, then you will...unless you upgrade your pumps for more GPH flow to lower the waterlevel in the rear chambers.

Anyone else have a problem with a clogged air supply tube? Mine was sealed with the adhesive that was used to glue it to the impeller cap. I tried to poke it with a needle but ended up having to remove it, cut it and glue it back on. Also the zip ties work great for fixing the cracked elbows.

Where you not getting any fine micro bubbles. No matter what I do I get some pretty large bubbles. Increasing or decreasing the pump flow doesn't change the quality of the bubbles.

2cents2late, i am curious as to why you placed the skimmer in the 3rd chamber.

i guess i'll have to go and get some sponges then. i threw all but one out and i cut the one i saved. but if that is what it will take to get this thing to work, then i guess i'll do that.

2cents2late, i am curious as to why you placed the skimmer in the 3rd chamber.

i guess i'll have to go and get some sponges then. i threw all but one out and i cut the one i saved. but if that is what it will take to get this thing to work, then i guess i'll do that.

and i tried the zip tie on the elbows (as tight as i could get it) and placed it in my 55 gal to see how the hole thing worked and i saw bubbles coming from the crack in the elbow still. so i put some 3/4" tubing around the whole thing and this stopped the bubbles coming out of the elbow. but it still produce so many bubbles that i turned it off.

Hey Taku,

How much did you have to trim off the elbow to fit a NC6? Is the air pump creating much heat?

I read an earlier post on this thread that a guy was putting a sponge just below the skimmer to eliminate all the micro bubbles. Not sure how big of a sponge. I have alway run some type of sponge (about 2" thick). I have started using polyfiber recently to replace the sponge off the top of my first chamber to pick up the bigger crap so it does not hit the pumps and never had an issues with nitrates. Always zero.

stoney waters
Where you not getting any fine micro bubbles. No matter what I do I get some pretty large bubbles. Increasing or decreasing the pump flow doesn't change the quality of the bubbles.

I was not getting any bubbles at all. Once I cleared the tube I started getting very fine bubbles. I don't know why your bubbles would be so large. The air supply tube is very thin and the impeller should chop them up even smaller. These things are going to be tricky to fine tune.

darkstar

it is only in my 3rd chamber do to lack of time to play with it to get it in the other chambers. i just wanted to get it up and running and see how it works. it slides easily into the 3rd chamber. i had microbubbles in my tank at first but as i tinkered with its positioning and gave it some time they went away. i plan to try to move it to another chamber as soon as i or someone else figures out how without damaging the skimmer. if i manage to accomplish that i will post good pics for others.

-2cents

what are microbubbles, and are they bad for your tank?

Micro-bubbles are the VERY small bubbles that escape from the outlet of a skimmer. They're not "bad" for a tank but they look bad. The times I've had micro-bubbles in my tank the cup coral gets po'd.

Generally, after a skimmer breaks in and is adjusted the bubbles go away or at least aren't that big of a problem.

Dremel Method for installing in 12g OG

I got my skimmer to fit in the 4 chamber OG 12g.

First remove the plastic grill on the intake of the powerhead, being careful not to pull out the air tube. It just requires a slight twist to remove.

You have to dremel about 1/2" of the elbow on the powerhead side of the u tube and 1/4 to 3/8" on the skimmer side. (Measure or eyeball how much you have to cut off). On the skimmer side, you have to be careful since the tubing has a groove for the skimmer body to slide into. Cut only half of this area. If still too tight for the chamber, you can shave off a bit more. Next, cut the skimmer body connector so that the newly cut u tube will fit snug against the skimmer body. This cut will be about the same size as the cut on the u tube, but add about 1/8". If you dont do this then cutting the u tube will be pointless. Note: dont cut off all the groove on the u tube or else you cant connect to the skimmer body. If you mess up you can always epoxy it in place with JB weld.

You can cut however much off the powerhead side in order to get it to fit. (Just leave 1/4" or so for the black tube to slide in). You will have to smooth the edges of the cut tubes so the tubes can slide in easily or else you may crack your tubes forcing it in.

This should give you enough clearance to fit in the first chamber w/o removing suction cups. Its a pain install into the chamber because there is no hand space to maneuver and there is a plastic ridge halfway down. I had to slide the whole thing in assembled. It will wedge itself in place. I have the u tube side facing chamber 2. You can do it opposite, but you may have to cut a notch in the upper rim of the tank to fit it in.

You can install in chamber 2, but you will have one less chamber to dissipate the microbubbles.

Running the skimmer higher out of the water will reduce microbubbles to zero. (The sponge has to clear the water surface). Lowering the skimmer so that the sponge area is below water level lets more bubbles escape, but the bubbles dissipate in the second chamber. None reach the tank.

Skimmate will turn darker over the day. I have a light brown-yellow skimmate now after day 1.

I have to empty 3X a day at this point. Easier if you run a drainage tube.

Seems like the froth doesnt spill into the cup, but when the bubbles pop they splash the skimmate againt the cap and then slides into the cup.

HTH

thank god you typed all that, cuz that it EXACTLY what I notice with mine. I was looking at CCJUNG's video, and was wondering if it was supposed to be submerged that low into the water. I definatly saw the bubbles rising up into the column, but yes..they pop and the resulting crud on the bubbles fall into the collection cup.

It works, no doubt about it.

Archived